List Mgmt. 2022 Trade Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
No one you listed is a pressure forward or typical small forward.

If Higgins gets concussed again next year or Butler has a form slump, we don't have a proper small forward option on the list.

Neither of those are great crumbers either.

So if lightning strikes twice, we don't have a proper small forward option and would have to improvise.

I'm failing to see a problem.

You could say that of most positions on the ground.
We currently have 6 list spots available, with 2 spots being vacated by players who played as small forwards. We also had situations this year which caused both of our starting small forwards to miss games.

What harm is there in filling one of those list spots with another small forward, instead of entering next year with a positional hole and say 'oh well' if/when something happens to either small forward again?

Neither of those are great crumbers either.

Trying to crumb with the way we move the ball up the ground and inside 50 would be the single worst job in football.

We have 2 speeds:

1. Slam the ball inside 50 so fast that none of our forwards are in position- and the oppo defenders are.

Or

2. Treacle slow- where every single player from both sides is camped 20metres ot from our goals.

Steven Milne wouldn't touch the ball with the way our current team move the ball fwd.

Trying to crumb with the way we move the ball up the ground and inside 50 would be the single worst job in football.

We have 2 speeds:

1. Slam the ball inside 50 so fast that none of our forwards are in position- and the oppo defenders are.

Or

2. Treacle slow- where every single player from both sides is camped 20metres ot from our goals.

Steven Milne wouldn't touch the ball with the way our current team move the ball fwd.
You know the times when we burst fwd but there’s no one to kick to so we hold it up for players to get in position.
I reckon a league style 40/20 kick would be excellent except make it roll from outside to in. Boot and chase basically.

What harm is there in filling one of those list spots with another small forward

Who are you talking about?

A bobby hill type? (Ie a good small fwd)

If so, there is plenty of harm- we've already committed plenty of cap space on a niche area with butler and higgins.

Backup for those guys simply needs to be emerging young elite draftees that we hope will be mids one day.
(Ie owens, windy + 2023 new draftees).

Trading in another small forward at the same kind of level as butler and higgins will just create the same poor list management outcome as we have down back with highmore.

We went and stockpiled a heap of guys who are good players- but all play pretty much the same way- wilkie, coffield, battle, highmore.

Can't play them all, but all are good enough to be playing AFL every week.

We currently have 6 list spots available, with 2 spots being vacated by players who played as small forwards. We also had situations this year which caused both of our starting small forwards to miss games.

What harm is there in filling one of those list spots with another small forward, instead of entering next year with a positional hole and say 'oh well' if/when something happens to either small forward again?

Are you including Kyle?

He only took a CatB rookie spot. We cant replace him from the main draft.

I'd love a forward who could crumb.

At least you didn't change after being pushed from SS Matrix

Changed a couple of things...
realised that arguing and getting upset about what others say is a waste of energy and time that's best suited to something else

Starting to realize that I'm slolwly enjoying it less here and a break will be good and it will come when it's needed

Until then I will enjoy posting silly pictures and laughing at everyone

If so, there is plenty of harm- we've already committed plenty of cap space on a niche area with butler and higgins.

Backup for those guys simply needs to be emerging young elite draftees that we hope will be mids one day.

Trading in another small forward at the same kind of level as butler and higgins will just create the same poor list management outcome as we have down back with highmore.

We went and stockpiled a heap of guys who are good players- but all play pretty much the same way- wilkie, coffield, battle, highmore.

Two small forwards on the list isn't a lot. A lot of sides play more than 2 in their best 22.

I cant wait for the complaints about how we are hurting these young mids development by playing them out of position as a small forward because we couldn't possibly add one more to the list - whether by trade or draft - in case one of the two we have gets injured.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You probably won't draft an elite young mid from 3rd round or worse. I have no problem using a pick in that range to target a small forward.
Ginnivan was a rookie pick.
Hell if we'd taken him first round in that draft we'd be happier than we are now.

I would love to see Peris in there one day. Tackles and speeeeeeed for days

On SM-F711B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Peris never really played as a small forward in the VFL this past season so we have no real metric for how'll he go.
Played mainly wing/hb with the occasional minutes as an inside mid when Ratts would let Batch let him go in there

Last edited:

There are a few in this draft expected to go a bit later on and we have Latrielle in our NGA.

#41 Sam Latreille

Though his 12 disposals and one goal hardly make for groundbreaking reading, Latreille was lively as ever in Dandenong’s forward line. The St Kilda Next Generation Academy member popped up on the attacking arc and looked to trouble Tasmania with his lateral movement, providing a handy point of creativity. He blasted home a big-time goal on the run during the final term, but unfortunately looks set to miss the grand final after being suspended for rough conduct.

I would love to see Peris in there one day. Tackles and speeeeeeed for days

On SM-F711B using BigFooty.com mobile app
His development this year at Sandy was impressive. Didn't star, but he seemed to get better and more comfortable each week.

His speed would be great up forward, but does he have that natural goal sense most smalls have? If not, maybe he can learn it.

As much as I love hunter Clark, and I know he has been horribly unlucky with injuries, if you were to compare his first 5 years in the league compared to our whipping boy billings it’s like comparing apples and oranges. Billings kicked 3 in the last quarter to get us over the line in our comeback against the doggies, he also kicked 5 goals and had 30 disposals in his 50th game. I’m not even sure if hunter has ever had 30 in a game.

There are a few in this draft expected to go a bit later on and we have Latrielle in our NGA.

#41 Sam Latreille

Though his 12 disposals and one goal hardly make for groundbreaking reading, Latreille was lively as ever in Dandenong’s forward line. The St Kilda Next Generation Academy member popped up on the attacking arc and looked to trouble Tasmania with his lateral movement, providing a handy point of creativity. He blasted home a big-time goal on the run during the final term, but unfortunately looks set to miss the grand final after being suspended for rough conduct.

Always impressive when a player steps up in a final. Brutal he is missing the grand final.

You probably won't draft an elite young mid from 3rd round or worse. I have no problem using a pick in that range to target a small forward.
Ginnivan was a rookie pick.
Hell if we'd taken him first round in that draft we'd be happier than we are now.
If we’d taken him in the first round he wouldn’t have played a game yet because we’ve had destroyed his spirit and will to play football.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back