Who will win the Victorian election

• Labor

Votes: 128 87.1%
  • Coalition

Votes: 19 12.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I remember thinking on election night that we'd been able to get rid of a bunch of cross-benchers. It hasn't been the case at all.

Crazy that major parties can get 0.4 - 0.6 of a 2nd or 3rd quota and not get over the line. It's like the minor party votes just go round and round til they're exhausted, with a lot of them seemingly never ending up with a major party.

Meanwhile people are getting elected with less than 0.1 of a quota on primaries.

He targeted that area not because the high rates of ethnic minorities would agree with the Labour DLP policies, but a higher chance that section of the community would mistake Labour DLP for Labor (the ALP) on the ballot paper.
Yeah, I'm sure this explains why 7.3% of people in those electorates voted DLP.

Not because ethnic minorities didn't like lockdowns

Not because ethnic minorities are the least woke people going around - the opposite of the ALP and more like the DLP.

Not because people in those areas are deserting Labor and looking for an alternative other than Liberal.

Nah the reason DLP was elected is because people thought they were voting for ALP

:shrug:

Not because ethnic minorities are the least woke people going around - the opposite of the ALP and more like the DLP.

Not because people in those areas are deserting Labor and looking for an alternative other than Liberal.

Nah the reason DLP was elected is because people thought they were voting for ALP

Lol you think the labor is woke

But yeah you're a centrist.....

Lol you think the labor is woke

But yeah you're a centrist.....
Change and Suppression

Education Department guidelines affirming gender identity ahead of the rights of parents to awareness of their children's gender identity

Safe Schools, unlike other states

Pushing treaty hard

Didn't police BLM protestors, unlike NSW. Shut down every other protest

Gender quotas for MP's

During Hotel Quarantine, some security guards were trained in equity and diversity but not infection control

The main security company chosen to run Quarantine was not on the preferred supplier list. They were chosen because they met "social objectives"

Brought in a "Victorian Commissioner for LGBTIQ+ Communities"

Need I go on?

Andrews Victorian Labor could barely be more woke if they tried

DLP is the opposite which is closer to the views of ethnic minorities in Victoria

Last edited:
Change and Suppression

Education Department guidelines affirming gender identity

Pushing treaty hard

Gender quotas for MP's

During Hotel Quarantine, some security guards were trained in equity and diversity but not infection control

The main security company chosen to run Quarantine was not on the preferred supplier list. They were chosen because they met "social objectives"

Need I go on?

DLP is the opposite which is closer to the views of ethnic minorities in Victoria

Did this campaigner really claim to be a centrist?

Change and Suppression
Not woke
Education Department guidelines affirming gender identity ahead of the rights of parents to awareness of their children's gender identity
Not woke
Not woke
Pushing treaty hard
Not wokw
BLM is woke, maybe you missed how VicPol still pursued charges against the organisers of BLM which doesn't really point to the government being woke
Gender quotas for MP's
Not woke
Not woke
Not woke
Not woke
Need I go on?
No it's clear you have no idea what woke means and also that you are firmly in the conservative authoritarian quadrant
You clearly don't know what that word means, but then sky and fox don't so that makes sense
DLP is catholic right wing authoritarianism

What is your definition of woke?

List some policies that Vic Gov could implement but haven't, that would make them woke

Australia day date change? Which I think, theoretically, the Vic Government could decide not to celebrate here.

What else?

Which other Australian state or territory governments are more woke than Victoria?

I remember thinking on election night that we'd been able to get rid of a bunch of cross-benchers. It hasn't been the case at all.

Crazy that major parties can get 0.4 - 0.6 of a 2nd or 3rd quota and not get over the line. It's like the minor party votes just go round and round til they're exhausted, with a lot of them seemingly never ending up with a major party.

Meanwhile people are getting elected with less than 0.1 of a quota on primaries.
That's preferential voting though. Swings and roundabouts, a large cross bench in the upper house is good for a healthy democracy I think. You'll get a few extremists at both ends but most will deal with the government to pass legislation.

List some policies that Vic Gov could implement but haven't, that would make them woke

Australia day date change? Which I think, theoretically, the Vic Government could decide not to celebrate here.

What else?

Which other Australian state or territory governments are more woke than Victoria?
Do you use the term "woke" because you think it sounds more derogatory than progressive? Because it just makes you sound like a pensioner.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do you use the term "woke" because you think it sounds more derogatory than progressive?
Same questions for you then...

What's woke mean?

What policies would make the Vic Government woke?

What other Australian governments are more woke?

Whether we use the word "woke" or not, my underlying question remains- Are Vic ALP's policies on LGBTIQ, race, the education system, what they incorrectly labelled "conversion therapy" more aligned with the views of ethnic minorities in outer suburbs, or are DLP's views closer to the mark? Or at least comparably close in many instances?

What else?

Australia Day (January 26) was never an nationally recognised public holiday day/date until 1994, which makes all the melts and sooking from anti change the date boomers and Karen's all the more annoying in my opinion. It is not nor never was a generational passed down celebration, anti change the date flogs strike me as text book White Privileged and historically ignorant saps.

That's preferential voting though. Swings and roundabouts, a large cross bench in the upper house is good for a healthy democracy I think. You'll get a few extremists at both ends but most will deal with the government to pass legislation.

I just don't understand the point of voting for the extremist right parties in a state like Victoria. I guarantee neither Andrews nor Symes will utter a word in negotiation with Somyurek or One Nation - and they don't need to. They'll get most of their agenda through with Greens and AJP, which are the 5 additional seats. They'll work with Legalise Cannabis if they have to. Plenty gets through with opposition support.

There's no scenario I can imagine where they'll ignore the 7 progressive cross benchers and the LNP to win over 4 right wing cross benchers, cos those 4 still don't give you enough.

I disagree with large cross benchers where they're people/parties who've achieved a tiny fraction of the vote and don't have any policies. Securing 3.5% of the primary vote to collect a wage, represent no one but yourself, and not even need to be in Symes' phone contacts is taking the piss.

Last edited:
Haven't been here long, but it's glaring how many people around here have zero self awareness of where their views actually sit on the spectrum of current ideas

It's kind of amusing but mostly sad

Says the dumb campaigner who cited a heap of identity politics bullshit relevant only to the extreme right while calling himself "centrist".

Alert to racial discrimination and prejudice, which seems a good thing, unless you're racist.
That's not how woke works
That's not how woke works
What else?

Hey, remember when I said you were a religious racist bigot not a centrist and you cracked the shits?

Your last few posts have confirmed it btw

Please tell us about Bob Santamaria and his involvement with the DLP . To me they were nothing more than the Catholic Church getting involved with politics , they are not the "Real" Labor party and never will be .

I just don't understand the point of voting for the extremist right parties in a state like Victoria. I guarantee neither Andrews nor Symes will utter a word in negotiation with Somyurek or One Nation - and they don't need to. They'll get most of their agenda through with Greens and AJP, which are the 5 additional seats. They'll work with Legalise Cannabis if they have to. Plenty gets through with opposition support.

There's no scenario I can imagine where they'll ignore the 7 progressive cross benchers and the LNP to win over 4 right wing cross benchers, cos those 4 still don't give you enough.

Sure with an ALP government. But IF the LNP ever win back government in Vic who are they more likely to work with - the Greens/AJP/LC or One Nation/DLP?

I find them reprehensible too but that's democracy. Just be thankful that although elected, they are marginalised. Let's hope it stays that way.

I disagree with large cross benchers where they're people/parties who've achieved a tiny fraction of the vote and don't have any policies. Securing 3.5% of the primary vote to collect a wage, represent no one but yourself, and not even need to be in Symes' phone contacts is taking the piss.

Preferential voting. It's not perfect but it's better than any other systems I think. I guess you could do away with the preferencing deals and force people to actually vote for who they want until the vote is exhausted but I'm not sure it would achieve much.

identity politics bullshit relevant only to the extreme right ".
religious racist bigot
Classic big footy!

1. Get told DLP targeted outer suburbs because ethnic minorities are illiterate. (A bit racist, no?)

2. Point out that DLP's policies are more aligned to views of many outer suburb ethnics on "woke" issues and this is one of several reasons DLP picked up votes

3. Give examples

4. Get told I'm an extreme racist

You guys are like a parody of the inane, logic free far left

firstly, the definition of woke. Everyone says I got it wrong, only one person suggested why....
Alert to racial discrimination and prejudice, which seems a good thing, unless you're racist.
Wrong. Incomplete at least.

Merriam Webster dictionary, from a Google search:

Gives two definitions

aware of and actively attentive to important societal facts and issues (especially issues of racial and social justice)

This includes "social" not just "racial". LGBTIQ issues are considered social justice. Therefore they fit under the umbrella.

politically liberal (as in matters of racial and social justice) especially in a way that is considered unreasonable or extreme

Obviously this was my intended meaning. Of course what's "unreasonable" and "extreme" will be a matter of debate. Certainly the Change and Suppression bill, the education department guidelines on gender and putting public safety at risk (with catastrophic consequences) to meet "social objectives" fit into that category.

Now. Relevant data to my original point.

Plebiscite. Federal electorate of Calwell voted no- 57%. This includes Broady, Greenvale and Kalkallo.

Scullin was close- 47% voted no. This includes Thomastown.

Those are the areas responsible for Somyurek and DLP getting thousands more primary votes in North Metro than Patten and Reason.

DLP's traditional values may be considered extreme in Brunswick, but that assessment isn't as widely shared amongst the Turks, Lebanese and Italians in the outer suburbs.

Victorian society is diverse. DLP represents elements of that diversity. Suggesting they deliberately targeted the illiterate- rather than those who share their views- is not only racist, but lazy and off- point CrowdedHouse

they're people/parties who've achieved a tiny fraction of the vote and don't have any policies. Securing 3.5% of the primary vote to collect a wage, represent no one but yourself,
DLP has a well developed and detailed policy platform. Their views, and the philosophies underpinning their views are clearly articulated on their website.

Further, they got over 5% of the vote in North East metro and Western Metro, and 4.8% in North Metro.

Legalise Cannabis, your point is valid. Single issue party without other policies.

Clearly you're delusional.

I refer to David Leljyonhelm and his election to a NSW Senate seat. As theorised by Antony Green at the time, Leljyonhelm scored a significantly higher than average vote, compared to Liberal Democrats in other states, because of the position on the ballot.

In NSW, the Lib Dems were placed well before the Liberal Party on the senate ballot paper, which wasn't the case in other states.

When comparing the Liberal Party House of Reps vote compared to the Senate, Green noticed the lower Liberal vote and believed people got confused by the branding.

Chatting to a few others on BomberBlitz (in their politics thread), a few others who also did HTV volunteer duties all talked about how the Labour DLP volunteers who target those with poor English or who were not politics savvy.

Some were worse than others. On the booth I was on (in Melbourne's South) the DLP volunteer who say things like "Are you voting Labo(u)r? This is your How To Vote Card". When I or someone else when then approach some and say "Labor for Brighton", they would say "Oh, I already have the Labo(u)r one"! We'd have to correct them and show them the picture of Dan Andrews on the back of our HTV Cards.

Now that was in Brighton, a Lib held seat, I was told it was much worse in the North, with one claiming twice a VEC official had to come out and warn the DLP Volunteer.

If you seriously think that people voted Labour DLP because of their policies - instead of any of the other Anti-Dan parties - ask yourself, why did Somyurek run in a region 30 kms away from his home???!!!

If the policies were so good as you claimed, why didn't the Labour DLP run a local for the number one spot in the North Metro region?

If the policies were so good, why didn't Somyurek run in his home region of South East Metro?

If the policies were so good, why did the party change its name from "Democratic Labour Party" to "Labour DLP"???

Back