Preview 2023 Rd 14 Carlton vs Gold Coast Sunday June 18 1:10PM @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Selection is not about dropping the worst player from the previous week. It's about selecting a balanced overall team that gives you the best chance to win in the coming week. JSOS was probably better overall than TDK last week but JSOS cannot backup Pitt and TDK can. And if you play all 3 we become slow and unbalanced as Martin and Cuningham are both chances to play across HF leaving JSOS positionless.
I’m gonna keep saying this JSOS, is NOT a ruckman!!! He never was, this whole narrative or view that he can only be in the side is if his playing ruck is ridiculous

Selection is not about dropping the worst player from the previous week. It's about selecting a balanced overall team that gives you the best chance to win in the coming week. JSOS was probably better overall than TDK last week but JSOS cannot backup Pitt and TDK can. And if you play all 3 we become slow and unbalanced as Martin and Cuningham are both chances to play across HF leaving JSOS positionless.
And to deal with Witts, who has monstered us before (and other teams).

I’m gonna keep saying this JSOS, is NOT a ruckman!!! He never was, this whole narrative or view that he can only be in the side is if his playing ruck is ridiculous
He’s not but he’s playing as a backup ruck if he’s being selected.
Ain’t performing as a forward. Can’t kick goals as part of his forward role (his inaccuracy has been constant too).

Feel for JSOS, gives his all but you can't ignore that he's had limited impact and with Pittonet back he just hasn't taken his chances to fit.

Motlop rightly dropped. If Voss/MC is fair dinkum then Curnow and Young will be joining him.

Expecting Cuners, Kennedy, Dow and Cincotta on the bench.

People forget that JSOS was dropped last week but was given a reprieve when Pitto was a late out.

Clearly the match committee think that we should be placing more emphasis on the ruck contests than what Jack can do up forward. Fair call I think.

We have gone from Owies, Durdin and Motlop to Owies, Martin and hopefully Cuningham up forward. Looks a much better spread in the variation of the players. Motlops time will come.

Liking the squad. Interesting to see how it is culled tomorrow.

Bench will be interesting.

Can’t see Vossy dropping both of Kennedy/Curnow - should be Curnow going back to the 2s.
Expect Cuningham to play given the media narrative all week
Dow SHOULD but who tf knows
Binns is overdue
Cincotta would be bloody stiff to go out
Young was beyond awful last week but does he stay as insurance vs King/Casboult/Lukosius
Fog been solid in 2s recently as well but least likely of the group to get named I would think

Young’s on the extended bench, he could well be left out.

No impact in the ruck, no marks, no goals, bottom 5 for disposal efficiency. Just trying hard isn’t a reason for guaranteed selection.

Think you’d overlook the selection on trying (abysmal IMO) and say he was being chosen for his height only.

Bench will be interesting.

Can’t see Vossy dropping both of Kennedy/Curnow - should be Curnow going back to the 2s.
Expect Cuningham to play given the media narrative all week
Dow SHOULD but who tf knows
Binns is overdue
Cincotta would be bloody stiff to go out
Young was beyond awful last week but does he stay as insurance vs King/Casboult/Lukosius
Fog been solid in 2s recently as well but least likely of the group to get named I would think

Cinc was unlucky on his 1st omission IMO. The joys of being a rookie.

I don't know why people are surprised by the nonselection of SOS. He was dropped last week and got a last minute reprieve when Pitto had to withdraw from the team. Pitto is back this week, Jack goes out. He doesn't have a place in the team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree that he's not a ruckman but in 8 years of playing senior football, he hasn't been able to make any position his own. He plays with heart but unfortunately doesn't quite have the ability to match it. I think that we will most likely move him on at the end of the year.

Who did have impact?
Not many … I was responding (again) to the narrative that Jack deserved another game because he tried hard.
It is symbolic of the lack of understanding many have elite performance.
If we select 22 players based solely on effort that will make supporters happy … until the game starts.

Not many … I was responding (again) to the narrative that Jack deserved another game because he tried hard.
It is symbolic of the lack of understanding many have elite performance.
If we select 22 players based solely on effort that will make supporters happy … until the game starts.

There is effort and performance. We have many not performing and some of those not putting in enough effort. Those players get to remain in the team until their form returns. That is the basis on which Jack deserves to stay.

Last edited:
He's not particularly good to be fair. He doesn't really have a position in our best 22. If he wasn't a Silvagni he would have already been delisted.

That's an opinion. Considering his brother was delisted and his Dad isn't at the club, that doesn't really ring true does it?

I guess the proof in the pudding moving forward, will be if another club picks him up if we toss him out. Given we are now in 15th spot, their is a good chance that a better team than us takes a chance on him.

There is effort and performance. We have many not performing and some of those not putting in enough effort. Those players get to remain in the team until their form returns. That is the basis in which Jack deserves to stay.
Is not a ruckman - we get reamed at most centre bounces he attends.
Repeatedly misses goals and generally has below standard skill execution up forward.
insufficient endurance to play midfield.
Exposed as too slow in defence.
Not tall enough to play KPP.
But yeah he tries hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back