Preview 2023 Rd 14 Carlton vs Gold Coast Sunday June 18 1:10PM @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This year has proven you can’t play cripps, Kennedy, Cerra and Hewett in the same midfield. The lack of pace when they don’t win the footy is a killer. Plus Hewett has been nothing but ordinary this season.
Correction. You can’t play Cripps, Hewett, Ed and Kennedy in the same midfield.

Motlop out : tick ( has been playing on borrowed time for a month at least Owies lucky there is no one else...

Young out : tick ( is badly out of form as in so bad it isnt with talking about and if big Durdin was fit to play no one would be talking about him. A stint in VFL would do him good) But - he is tall...and is probably insurance for Pittonet being out maybe...at least Voss isn't telegraphing Carltons lack of ruckmen this week...

Jack unlucky.

Cottrell : I would have dropped him very very very lucky after his last two games- last week was an absolute stinker - I would have dropped him faster than you can say why not Jack Silvagni as a defensive wingman - at least he has a footy brain.

Cincotta and Young look like the defensive options ( I would play Cincotta) I reckon they will play Young.
Ed Curnow
forward rotation/mid (covers for Martin half game and a lame Cripps)
Kennedy Dow are the mid options I reckon they both play
Binns : unlucky/close - I would have given him a run over Cottrell 4 sure. where to play him ??
Cuningham : sub if both Dow and Kennedy play.

Surprised Cripps is playing after last weeks footage.

This year has proven you can’t play cripps, Kennedy, Cerra and Hewett in the same midfield. The lack of pace when they don’t win the footy is a killer. Plus Hewett has been nothing but ordinary this season.
This is what baffles the hell out of me. Absolutely killed last year but are so far of the mark this year its bloody scary.

What makes you think he'd succeed under McRae? He's now over 100 games and 8 seasons into defining a role and making one his own. He's played under three coaches at Carlton and hasn't shown himself to be anything more than an average player under any of them, in any position. If he leaves then he leaves.
His had David Teague and Michael Voss as his coaches who plays him as a ruckman when his never been!! Great opportunity to succeed

Don’t know. He’s best bet is as a third tall. If I was him I’d be working really hard to improve my marking and kicking. He’s got footy IQ.

Which teams do you thinking might be interested?
Sydney need talls, freo wouldn’t mind another tall option up forward, the tigers too. There’s plenty of teams out there that would bring in a player of his type.

Not really unless he kick goals and create them is too slow has no impact on games.
He’s been one of the better lead up forwards in the comp so he does generate offense. He’s also hard to take down in a tackle. Also if you look at the teams I’ve mentioned, they don’t have particularly slow midfields so his lack of genuine pace wouldn’t affect them as much as it does for us.

JSOS replaced by Martin as a third tall, TDK as fasting ruckman. No spot for him in the team.

His inability to change pace is gonna cost him. No burst at all. Contrast between Martin (who's lost weight and moving as well as he has in years) is stark. Defenders close the gap with ease.

At one point I saw a player in defence and was confused at how one paced he looked. Realised it was Jack, eyes weren't used to such a slow player down there.

The idea of JSOS in defence comes from the same school of TDK in defence. If dad or brother can do it, so can they.

TDK would be better trying there than JSOS though neither I think is a good idea.

We have seen JSOS down there and it’s bad, if we worry about our kicking out of defence now, we sure as shit won’t have it improved with either JSOS or TDK there.

What makes you think he'd succeed under McRae? He's now over 100 games and 8 seasons into defining a role and making one his own. He's played under three coaches at Carlton and hasn't shown himself to be anything more than an average player under any of them, in any position. If he leaves then he leaves.

He’s a borderline best 22 type, you’d love him around when you’re a top side as he can fill in and plug a hole. When the side sucks he seems superfluous to needs.

In the midst of an unexpectedly and unbelievably bleak year, what a glorious sight to see DC’s name in the senior squad. Hope he gets to play and shows us all what we’ve been missing.

If nothing else comes good out of the year, DC having a great injury free rest of the season would at least give us something worthwhile.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

8 losses in 9 weeks, 6 losses in a row.

Headline says Carlton wield the axe ...

Out: Silvagni, Motlop
In: Newman, Pittonet

No accountability for Harry, Crippa, Gov, Owies, Doc, Walshy, Weiters before he found form the last couple of weeks. So many players are undroppable.

The interchange needs to be Cincotta, Dow, Cuningham and Kennedy with Binns or Fogarty as sub.

Can see them leaving out Dow altogether and can also see them dropping Kennedy again. I'd play Kennedy in place of Cripps quite frankly. He gives an honest effort, is just as strong, has better kicking skills, is a better mark and a more accurate shot at goal.

Cincotta is a good average player.. should never be a best 22 type, good depth to come in and out of the side when required but we shouldn’t be pushing others a side to find him a role.
Who would Cinc be pushing out of the current team if we tried him up forward? The whole forward line has been a shambles for quite some time,why not mix things up on game day if things arent going well. Even push Kemp up into the forward line,to make us not so predictable on game day.
You dont have to be a rocket scientist to know what Vossys plan is in the forward line each week. See C and H,bomb it to them.

Selection is not about dropping the worst player from the previous week. It's about selecting a balanced overall team that gives you the best chance to win in the coming week. JSOS was probably better overall than TDK last week but JSOS cannot backup Pitt and TDK can. And if you play all 3 we become slow and unbalanced as Martin and Cuningham are both chances to play across HF leaving JSOS positionless.

I agree that's what selection should be. However, I wouldn't say it's been the case thus far. Our selection has been dubious at best. Unfortunately, Voss has made some baffling and horendous selections and positional changes. Let's all hope the penny drops and he doesn't keep playing underperforming players. Playing Hewett in the reserves this weekend is a great start.

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Our rucks this season:

Ruck contests
597 Pittonet
365 TDK
112 Silvagni

Taps won
292 Pittonet (48.9%)
144 TDK (39.5%)
23 Silvagni (20.5%)

Taps to advantage per tap won
Pittonet 36.3%
Silvagni 30.4%
TDK 29.9%

Taps to advantage per contest attended
106 Pittonet (17.75%)
43 TDK (11.78%)
7 Silvagni (6.25%)

Disposals
Silvagni 13.0 per game
TDK 11.1 per game
Pittonet 10.1 per game

Disposal efficiency
Silvagni 68.6%
TDK 67.4%
Pittonet 57.4%

Kicking efficiency
Silvagni 57.1%
TDK 54.8%
Pittonet 37.7%

Effective kicks
Silvagni 4.7 per game
TDK 2.9 per game
Pittonet 2.0 per game

Kick to handball ratio
Silvagni 1.7
Pittonet 1.1
TDK 0.9

Effective Disposals
Silvagni 8.9 per game
TDK 7.5 per game
Pittonet 5.8 per game

Marks
Silvagni 4.0 per game
TDK 2.6 per game
Pittonet 1.7 per game

Scores
Silvagni 8.11
TDK 2.2
Pittonet 0.1

Tackles
Silvagni 2.7 per game
TDK 2.4 per game
Pittonet 2.0 per game

Pressure Acts
Silvagni 11.7 per game
TDK 11.4 per game
Pittonet 7.1 per game

My biggest takeaway is that the criticisms of Silvagni for poor disposal and not taking marks is a little unfair. We know he doesn't do much in the ruck but he is ahead in many categories so does that make up for what he lacks in the ruck?

I reckon you only need to go back to last year when JSOS was surprisingly dropped for one game, and the rumours of Voss not being enamoured with him at the time, to know what is going on. He’s a player the coach doesn’t rate (rightly or wrongly).

Could another club extract more from him? Probably. Will we get to find out? Most likely.

The key words in the Peter Ryan article about Carlton are still that Brian Cook is less enamoured with the list than others: https://archive.md/piobp

Fancy dropping a player when blind Freddy can see he is being played out of position.

Add to that the abuse our players endured on the walk out of last weeks game. I wouldn’t have dropped anyone this week except that feral fans membership and made a strong statement in support of our players.

We are completely lacking anyone behind the scenes with any gumption. Just a bunch of pencil pushers.

but, but...they're 3/5ths of the Fab 5, and are our preferred midfield, which was decided during the 2022 pre season, and we refuse to think otherwise.

Last edited:
Our rucks this season:

Ruck contests
597 Pittonet
365 TDK
112 Silvagni

Taps won
292 Pittonet (48.9%)
144 TDK (39.5%)
23 Silvagni (20.5%)

Taps to advantage per tap won
Pittonet 36.3%
Silvagni 30.4%
TDK 29.9%

Taps to advantage per contest attended
106 Pittonet (17.75%)
43 TDK (11.78%)
7 Silvagni (6.25%)

Disposals
Silvagni 13.0 per game
TDK 11.1 per game
Pittonet 10.1 per game

Disposal efficiency
Silvagni 68.6%
TDK 67.4%
Pittonet 57.4%

Kicking efficiency
Silvagni 57.1%
TDK 54.8%
Pittonet 37.7%

Effective kicks
Silvagni 4.7 per game
TDK 2.9 per game
Pittonet 2.0 per game

Kick to handball ratio
Silvagni 1.7
Pittonet 1.1
TDK 0.9

Effective Disposals
Silvagni 8.9 per game
TDK 7.5 per game
Pittonet 5.8 per game

Marks
Silvagni 4.0 per game
TDK 2.6 per game
Pittonet 1.7 per game

Scores
Silvagni 8.11
TDK 2.2
Pittonet 0.1

Tackles
Silvagni 2.7 per game
TDK 2.4 per game
Pittonet 2.0 per game

Pressure Acts
Silvagni 11.7 per game
TDK 11.4 per game
Pittonet 7.1 per game

My biggest takeaway is that the criticisms of Silvagni for poor disposal and not taking marks is a little unfair. We know he doesn't do much in the ruck but he is ahead in many categories so does that make up for what he lacks in the ruck?
I’d love to know if there is a Hit out to advantage against stat

8 losses in 9 weeks, 6 losses in a row.

Headline says Carlton wield the axe ...

Out: Silvagni, Motlop
In: Newman, Pittonet

No accountability for Harry, Crippa, Gov, Owies, Doc, Walshy, Weiters before he found form the last couple of weeks. So many players are undroppable.

The interchange needs to be Cincotta, Dow, Cuningham and Kennedy with Binns or Fogarty as sub.

Can see them leaving out Dow altogether and can also see them dropping Kennedy again. I'd play Kennedy in place of Cripps quite frankly. He gives an honest effort, is just as strong, has better kicking skills, is a better mark and a more accurate shot at goal.

Few more will go tonight at 5.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back