Autopsy 2023 Rd 2 Blues hold on to beat the reigning premier

Who played well for the Blues in Round 2 vs the Cats?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

The point is not just to not judge someone by their numbers. It’s also use numbers relevant to their role.

I guess Clayton Oliver is terrible because he doesn’t get many hitouts?

With TDK, the upside is clear and it is significant. I don’t know how you can’t see it but to each their own.

The production is less clear, which is why the rumored big money offers have been met with overwhelming confusion. Though he has taken a step forward on that front, thus far this season.
6 tackles is pretty handy for a big bloke
He tackled hard and with intent

Anyone else concerned about TDK’s hands. Gets his hands to a lot of balls, not gigantic ones ;), and rarely holds on? Could be one of those best “almost” mark of the year candidates?

On the other hand, he seemed to have more energy at the contest with Pitto in this week. His follow up work is a bit Kreuz like.
He's got Kreuzer vibes, loves it more when the ball is on the ground than in the air.

At the ground he's still a young giraffe, will shake that fumbly style soon enough.

I'm old enough to have seen Doull live, and there are similarities in the way they tap/punch not just to defend but in the same action start rebounding. A smooth, cool move. It's a beautiful thing.
Bruce Doull became an AFL legend because he would defend, win the contest and attack with class, balance and subline skills.

We’ve got to keep tdk! Can’t let him go. Bit more experience and he could become a superstar.
Not really sure we should be keeping him on the possibility of him becoming a superstar? He had 11 disposals, is that really good? For someone who is supposed to be athletic and get around the ground it's a pretty lame disposal tally.
13 touches the week before.

His last three games of 2022 were 12, 8 and 6 touches. Not the numbers you'd be hoping for this far in to the career of the once nick named "king".
Nic Naitanui has the never been a high disposal player even when in his prime had some wonderful physical attributes himself, he was an impact player through his tap outs and had a physical presence within the area of play…

DeKoning still needs to improve on his tap outs to advantage but he has some wonderful athletic attributes along with a physical presence that is starting to emerge, in his own way once he puts it all together he can have a big impact on influencing games of footy himself, once he gets in another preaseason & 30 games under his belt…

The point is they are similar by possession numbers but can have a big influence on games in their own ways…

I'm old enough to have seen Doull live, and there are similarities in the way they tap/punch not just to defend but in the same action start rebounding. A smooth, cool move. It's a beautiful thing.

I saw a fair bit of Doull live, yes a couple similarities, but Doull was on another level

Smooth, composed (unless someone pinched his headband), beautiful kick and could play on smalls and talls

Not to often his opponent beat him on the day

I saw a fair bit of Doull live, yes a couple similarities, but Doull was on another level

Smooth, composed (unless someone pinched his headband), beautiful kick and could play on smalls and talls

Not to often his opponent beat him on the day
Wasn't the story that Parko was continually having to get one of Wayne Johnston or the Buzz to have to shift sides as both would always try and line up on Doully's side of the ground knowing that he would turn defence into attack so quickly and the disposal towards them would be sublime.

He was a genuine one off both in the way that he played and also his ,(lack of) public persona. Feel honoured to have watched a fair bit of his career.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watched the game again last night and honestly just cannot be prouder of the boys. Kept a close eye on the new boys particularly… wow just wow … Austin picked some bloody beauties!

My thoughts on second viewing is that we should not fear anyone in the competition and that what we only lack is experience and that that may hold us back a year or two but once we have that killer hard edge, which will come …. WATCH OUT!

Needles to say if the stars align there is no reason we could not jag a premiership this year ….. we are in our window!

God it feels good to be here. Been a long gruelling road. COVID and Teague messed it up a couple of years … thank god for Sayers …. the old board listening to supporters on the Teague train (me included) would not happen today.

From the president down we have the right people in place for sustained success now. Our recruiting in the dark years was dire to be fair and complete crap to be honest. SOS built the spine and Austin is a master at the rest.

Ill admit I was negative about this team and what would happen to us against the pussies and I can admit when I was wrong.

THE LID IS OFF!! Go baggers!

Still elated with last nights result. Great win. We play like that all year, we are top 4.
Ball movement/ transition from back-line was as good as I can remember seeing it for a very long time.

THE GOOD:
No passengers. Only 2 players with <10 disposals. 1 was Durdin - first game & still hit the scoreboard 3 times. The other LOB (sub).

THE BAD:
How easily they were able to score. Very different to last week. They had a scoring shot 56% of the time they entered their F50 - far too easy. Hoping it’s not a natural symptom from our faster attacking and so it will happen all year - let’s see.
Cats scored a lot from centre clearances. Having Walsh and Hewitt back will tighten that tap.

We’ve got to keep tdk! Can’t let him go. Bit more experience and he could become a superstar.
Not really sure we should be keeping him on the possibility of him becoming a superstar? He had 11 disposals, is that really good? For someone who is supposed to be athletic and get around the ground it's a pretty lame disposal tally.
13 touches the week before.

His last three games of 2022 were 12, 8 and 6 touches. Not the numbers you'd be hoping for this far in to the career of the once nick named "king".
See kids, you can miss the game sitting at home counting stats!

Last edited:
Watched the game again last night and honestly just cannot be prouder of the boys. Kept a close eye on the new boys particularly… wow just wow … Austin picked some bloody beauties!

My thoughts on second viewing is that we should not fear anyone in the competition and that what we only lack is experience and that that may hold us back a year or two but once we have that killer hard edge, which will come …. WATCH OUT!

Needles to say if the stars align there is no reason we could not jag a premiership this year ….. we are in our window!

God it feels good to be here. Been a long gruelling road. COVID and Teague messed it up a couple of years … thank god for Sayers …. the old board listening to supporters on the Teague train (me included) would not happen today.

From the president down we have the right people in place for sustained success now. Our recruiting in the dark years was dire to be fair and complete crap to be honest. SOS built the spine and Austin is a master at the rest.

Ill admit I was negative about this team and what would happen to us against the pussies and I can admit when I was wrong.

THE LID IS OFF!! Go baggers!
Put that damn lid back on!

Put that damn lid back on!
We were brutal against Geelong really hurting and bruising a mature tough side.
We are progressing faster than perceived when you look at our last four games.
A loss to Melbourne and Collingwood by less than a goal.
Draw with Richmond leading late in the game.
Defeated Geelong last years premiers.
Our form line trajectory suggests we are a bigger chance of top 4 than many give us credit for.
The ❓is turning the table on the bogey sides and injuries.
I'm keeping a lid on it but the pressure is building making it hard to hold it down.

I know we went in with a certain approach against the Tigers but the contrast to last week was stark and we were much better to watch against the Cats. Perhaps if we'd been bit more daring last week we may have won.

Got good contributions from most and that's how it needs to be. Loved the fact we were able to control what was going on in the last five minutes. We weren't going to lose the game. Only disappointing part was that they got that close given that we controlled the game for large parts. Winning a game in these circumstances, given how we've lost and drawn the last three, is really important and hopefully reassures the players mindset when we're in position to go on with it.

A bit concerned about Crippa. Not playing at his usual level and not his robust self. Hopefully he finds his best soon. Id like to see Harry and Jack kick more goals.

We don't look sluggish when everyone is having a crack and running to their capabilities

Cowan and Hollands impressive again. Really encouraging signs.

What are we going to do with LOB next week? He needs to play but who misses out? George should be back so it creates good selection problems.

Just watched the replay after having been at the game. Thought Mitch McGovern had a far better night than he’s been given credit for. Couple of obvious blunders aside, he launched quite a few counter attacks with nice kicks and defended well in some important moments. Remember he hasn’t played much footy, he’ll get better.

In fact I thought it was the first time in recent memory where not a single Carlton player had a bad game. SOS was great before being subbed off - 2 direct goal assists and involved in a few more chains. Lewis Young had a bag kicked on him but stood up when it counted. Not even JC could have stopped JC.

Unless someone’s sore, whoever misses for George next week will be terribly unlucky. Exciting times, Bluebaggers.

We were brutal against Geelong really hurting and bruising a mature tough side.
We are progressing faster than perceived when you look at our last four games.
A loss to Melbourne and Collingwood by less than a goal.
Draw with Richmond leading late in the game.
Defeated Geelong last years premiers.
Our form line trajectory suggests we are a bigger chance of top 4 than many give us credit for.
I'm keeping a lid on it but the pressure is building making it hard to hold it down.
shaking still life GIF by jjjjjohn

Our main bogey side is ourselves - we have to turn up and play against those sides who we are expected to beat - and not put up insipid efforts like we did against Adelaide and St Kilda etc.

:thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2023 Rd 2 Blues hold on to beat the reigning premier

Back