Preview 2023 Rd 22 Carlton vs Melbourne Saturday August 12 7:30M @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team is in …

NO. CHANGES.

Sam Docherty will play his 150th game in the Navy Blue guernsey - the jumper he grew up wearing as a supporter - as Carlton looks to continue its strong run of form from recent months.

Last weekend’s sub, Ed Curnow is the sole omission from the Round 22 team: he has been named as one of four emergencies alongside Jordan Boyd (now available after suspension), Sam Durdin and Josh Honey. One of those four will be named as sub an hour before the bounce.

Backs:Alex CincottaJacob WeiteringAdam Saad
Half-backs:Nic NewmanCaleb MarchbankBrodie Kemp
Centreline:Blake AcresPatrick CrippsOliver Hollands
Half-forwards:Jack MartinTom De KoningDavid Cuningham
Forwards:Lachie FogartyCharlie CurnowMatthew Owies
Followers:Marc PittonetSam DochertyGeorge Hewett
Interchange:Matthew CottrellPaddy DowZac Fisher
Jesse Motlop
Emergencies:Jordan BoydEd CurnowSam Durdin
Josh Honey

Judging by the measly 43 contributions to the game thread on the Melbourne board, I would say we can aim at making up a massive chunk of the crowd and spurring the lads on again.

I don’t reckon there has been a seriously amazing game yet this season (don’t get me wrong, there have been some very good ones). But in terms of a match which is right up there for pressure and intensity, I don’t think there has yet been an absolute standout. This game could be it.

You'd ruck Sam Durdin or Young against Max Gawn? Sounds like a recipe for disaster for me.

Go back and have a look at the 2nd half yesterday. Pitto was a solid contributor. There's no way he's not playing this week.
Pitto was outstanding in the 2 nd half .
I just watched the replay, his Ruck work to the advantage of Dow and Cripps was elite.

Fisher did impress me. It's amazing what a kick up the backside can do. He'll keep his spot.

With Boyd being available and Kempy pulling up a bit sore, we might shuffle the line up that faced the Saints.

I'm not interested in risking Cerra or Walsh.

I think Dow earned another full game. Some of his early on mistakes... Crippa was making a lot of dumb ones too let's be honest here and Doc was even worse in the first half.

For them Petty will be out, Clarry comes in... could they recall Grundy to try and stretch our back line?

I think Sam Durdin plays if either Kemp misses and/or Grundy is selected.

We need more from Pitto. He provides a big body in the contest but he just doesn't take enough marks at either end of the ground.

I’m just wondering Why are people assuming Clarry comes In?

Last article I read he had a flare up and was still 2-3 away , that was last week ?

Feels strange to even say this, but is McKay still an automatic selection when he’s fit? Big call for them to make considering how we’ve been playing. I’m not sure McKay, TDK & pit can all fit?

It feels strange because it is strange.

Even when his goal kicking was off he was having a great year. One of the best contested marks in the league and moved like a gazelle which is amazing for someone of his build. The bloke is a gun. Not to mention we need him to stop opposition ganging up on Charlie.

I don’t profess to know what the coaches think but I reckon even I can say I know McKay is a certainty when fit. Pitt will be the one to fall out of the team IMO.

When we are full, Pitto definitely off..

Traditional Rucks are overrated, we win games and clearances even when we get dominated in hit outs.

Pittonet is just too slow for this new style we’re playing and doesn’t take enough contested marks to justify his height advantage. Still can’t believe we signed him on for 4 years…

Silvagni is more effective as a double edged sword, tall enough to help ruck duties , but also sneaky enough to get a ground ball off the pack and run into the goal square.

Also takes a better contested mark than Pittonet

I’m not a huge fan of either but SOS suits our structure a lot more.

Along with a fit McKay , pitto will definitely be a surplus to requirements and
Let’s be honest here, he isn’t a top ten ruck in the comp

I’m not sure if this has been said or not, but the way in which Voss talks about Pitto and the role he plays, he sees him as definitely best 22.
I think Voss believes TDK and Pitto can be the right combination, I am yet to be convinced.
If those 2 play I think SOS misses out and I don’t like that outcome.
It relegates SOS to depth player coming in to the side for injury or form.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Fisher played the same role yesterday that Boyd will play. It's hard to see us playing a back 7 that includes Fisher, Boyd, Newman and Saad. Especially with JVR, melksham, Gawn when resting and Petry replacement up there. So for mine either Boyd or Fisher are sub.

No other changes unless one of our on ballers is available.
Fisher adds more value and versatility than Boyd - showed his poise yesterday

Judging by the measly 43 contributions to the game thread on the Melbourne board, I would say we can aim at making up a massive chunk of the crowd and spurring the lads on again.

I don’t reckon there has been a seriously amazing game yet this season (don’t get me wrong, there have been some very good ones). But in terms of a match which is right up there for pressure and intensity, I don’t think there has yet been an absolute standout. This game could be it.
Home game 75% baggers - will be huge

Due to their recent success, they now do ski season in August to be back by finals.

Massive game. Should be a cracker between two good sides in good form.

Melbourne are really good. Perhaps haven't hit their best form yet but they're very strong and will go deep. I have them as the 2nd best team in it behind Collingwood at the moment.

Petty is a big out. Big question marks around their forward line and he's played a really important role for them in the forward half. Fritsch we know won't be there...so who will?

Maybe they swing Smith forward and replace him down back with Tomlinson. Maybe they bring in Brown. Grundy? A long shot but definitely possible.

Sounds like Oliver will be back. Good and bad news for us. He's a superstar obviously but he hasn't played footy in just under 3 months. He will not be match fit.

For us...waiting for the injury report. I am a little worried about Kemp. Boyd has served his suspension and may well come straight back in but not sure who makes way.

Would love to see one or more of our big outs return to the side but certainly I wouldn't be rushing anyone back. Job's not done but we've won 7 on the trot and that means this one isn't do or die. No resting players though. Full steam ahead.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fisher adds more value and versatility than Boyd - showed his poise yesterday
Would you rather Boyd or Fisher on Pickett?
It’s true Fisher would provide greater offence … defensively Boyd is much better.
Newman gets Melksham and Saad takes Neal-Bullen/Chandler?
Will be interesting to see selection if Kemp gets up.

It’s true Fisher would provide greater offence … defensively Boyd is much better.
Fisher was better yesterday defensively - agree in that instance though.

I’m not sure if this has been said or not, but the way in which Voss talks about Pitto and the role he plays, he sees him as definitely best 22.
I think Voss believes TDK and Pitto can be the right combination, I am yet to be convinced.
If those 2 play I think SOS misses out and I don’t like that outcome.
It relegates SOS to depth player coming in to the side for injury or form.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
This selection quandary has been bubbling along since last year - it just hasn’t been an issue very often due to injury.
I completely agree with your assessment - however there are examples in the next two weeks where the opposition have mature ruckmen - making it easier to justify playing both TDK and Pittonet.

Clayton Oliver is most likely back this week.

I honestly think he should switch codes to Union. The Wallabies need all the bloody good throwers they can get :)

Based on how much I and others get concerned when we see posts in the Injury thread I have stuck in this thread - cause we all want these guys for this game but let’s be realistic

Chances of players back based on commentary by Club to date (anyone strongly disagree or got an alternate view?):

Player

Injury

Likely Return
Adam CerraHamstringRound 24

Will be sidelined for the next 2-3 weeks. (Update: 31 July)
Corey DurdinShoulderRound 22
Matt KennedyKneeRound 24 if finals aren’t a lock??

Remains a chance to be available late in the season. (Update: 31 July)
Harry McKayKneeRound 24 if finals aren’t a lock??

Expected to be sidelined for the next 6-8 weeks. (Update: 17 July)
Jack SilvagniKneeRound 22 or ????

????????????
(Update: 24 July)
Sam WalshHamstringRound 23

is expected to miss the next 2-3 weeks. (Update: 24 July)

I think we need a Key Forward desperately - would love Harry but think JSOS would be great to provide another marking option - send TDK as key ruck and drop Pitt - anyone else think JSOS is a chance?

If Pickett plays a very good game neither will really stop him, Fish will torch him if he plays an avg one. He’s one of the few players going round who won’t beat him for strength.
Boyd has shown promise but hasn’t inflicted any real “hurt”, Fish has been around a lot longer, is smarter & could.
Boyd as sub wouldn’t be the worst idea.

Who takes Petracca when he’s forward. Tough match up
Cinc, all Italian battle to the death. Don’t think Cinc will win but he’ll die trying, he’s strong enough to at worst slow him down. Think a tough match up will bring out the best in him too

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back