Preview 2023 Rd 24 Carlton vs GWS Sunday August 27 6:10PM @ Marvel Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Final Team is in ...

IN: Cerra, Fogarty, McGovern, Walsh, C. Durdin
OUT: Cripps (soreness), Docherty (soreness), E.Curnow, Marchbank, Pittonet, Motlop (illness)

Backs:Brodie KempJacob WeiteringAlex Cincotta
Half-backs:Adam SaadMitch McGovernNic Newman
Centreline:Blake AcresSam WalshOllie Hollands
Half-forwards:Jack MartinHarry McKayDavid Cuningham
Forwards:Lachie FogartyCharlie CurnowMatthew Owies
Followers:Tom De KoningAdam CerraGeorge Hewett
Interchange:Matthew CottrellPaddy DowZac Fisher
Corey Durdin
Emergencies:Ed CurnowMarc PittonetCaleb Marchbank

*Update 26th August

Last edited:
I agree with all decisions

Give Cripps and doc a rest

Love Marchy but he’s been off since he’s been back in my view and gov and kemp are better at the present time

Pitto makes us too slow and I’d rather sacrifice hitouts than leg speed

Best side we have fielded all year despite 2 of our best not playing.

Blues by 19

I suspect our week 1 finals team is Cripps to come in for Dow and Doc to come in for hollands

Nice to have finals locked in and not to worry too much about Crippa being out. Still a very good side with the inclusion of Gov, Cez and Whorpa. No idea who chops out for TDK. Kemp?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Them ...

In: Ryan Angwin
Out: Josh Fahey

FB: Jack Buckley, Sam Taylor, Connor Idun
HB: Lachie Ash, Harry Himmelberg, Lachie Whitfield
C: Josh Kelly, Tom Green, Isaac Cumming
HF: Toby Bedford, Jake Riccardi, Brent Daniels
FF: Daniel Lloyd, Jesse Hogan, Toby Greene
RR: Kieren Briggs, Callan Ward, Stephen Coniglio

Interchange: Ryan Angwin, Harry Perryman, Lachlan Keeffe, Callum Brown

Emergencies: Toby McMullin, Nick Haynes, Josh Fahey, Matt Flynn

That’s usually the AFL’s preference.

Thursday night isn’t ideal in Melbourne as there’s a larger percentage of regional/outer suburb footy families compared to Sydney or Brissy, so it could flip, however if results go as they expect, I was told by a decent source that the AFL wants to go:
1.Thurs: CollvMelb
2.Fri: CarlvWB/GWS
3.Sat arvo: BrisvPort
4.Sat night: StKvSyd or SydvStK

Sets them up for week 2:
Fri: Loser1vWinner2 (MCG)
Sat: Loser3vWinner4 (SA/Qld)

Obviously they want to keep the big Melb teams where ratings matter most and reward teams which finish higher on the ladder.
The broadcasters have plenty of power in the schedule.
I don’t think Thursday night footy works to well in Melbourne. Unless it’s round 1.
Better off
Thus Bris v port
Friday pies v dees
Saturday Carlton v 8tb
Saturday night/ Sunday saints game

Really like our team named for GWS
It was smart to rest Cripps and doctor they have done enough. Prepare them for a big final.
The speed and spread from the team is great. Just hard decisions made by selection this week but looks good
No reason why Mckay can’t do the forward line rucking and a couple of centre bounces too. Being around the contest more might get his confidence up and set up for a big finals.
Saying this Pitto could still be sub and we bring him on in the 2nd half if needed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ed wasn't even named in the emergencies last night (out) and now he is :think:

Well. Pitto out. I guess this means we’ll see Harry rucking. I really don’t want to see that. No other options really though. Could Acres do the Grigg role?

Conspiracy theorist in me says Pitto will definitely play the first final and we are just managing him / giving GWS a different look to what they'll get if we play them in finals.

Prob wrong though.

I like the idea of H playing ruck actually, plenty of tall forwards do it like Mcstay, Dixon, Danniher etc...its necessary if we want to keep playing a more mobile setup.

The surprise is us doing in Rd 24 though...I'd be shocked if after 1 game of trying it, we roll with it in the finals. It's a big change and Mckay hasn't got much exposed form as a ruck, particularly at centre bounces.

Conspiracy theorist in me says Pitto will definitely play the first final and we are just managing him / giving GWS a different look to what they'll get if we play them in finals.

Prob wrong though.

I like the idea of H playing ruck actually, plenty of tall forwards do it like Mcstay, Dixon, Danniher etc...its necessary if we want to keep playing a more mobile setup.

The surprise is us doing in Rd 24 though...I'd be shocked if after 1 game of trying it, we roll with it in the finals. It's a big change and Mckay hasn't got much exposed form as a ruck, particularly at centre bounces.
Yeah you’re right a lot do it and it helps our flexibility if he can do it well but having never done it it’s an odd time to try it. He’s as tall or taller than most ruckman and he has the tank, so we’ll see I guess.

I’m thinking Acres may take a few centre bounces when TDK is off. Can’t think of anyone else to… don’t like the thought of it being McKay.

We say we don't want Mckay pinch hitting in the ruck but I think it should be something we explore.

Others that come to mind who do this:

Mcstay
Danniher
Dixon
Van Rooyen
McLean
Lobb

McKay's height and speed in theory should make him decent. Although he doesn't have the leap of someone like Danniher.

If Mckay doesn't learn this role, it means when he plays it will always be with Charlie and 2 rucks (or 1 ruck and JSOS).

Prob wrong though.

Don't think it's a conspiracy to suggest pittos being rested. I think his knee issues have lingered a bit and the extra time off will give him just enough juice for a finals series.

If this was the first final I'm sure Cripps doch and Pitt would be playing in their current states.

I like the team selected - will be interesting to see how well TDK holds up playing 4Q as one man out in the ruck. Also will be interesting to see how the mids perform sans Crippa. Shoudk be a battle royale this one - hopefully GWS have to win this one to make finals- woudl be nice to knock them out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back