Preview 2023 Rd 24 Carlton vs GWS Sunday August 27 6:10PM @ Marvel Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Final Team is in ...

IN: Cerra, Fogarty, McGovern, Walsh, C. Durdin
OUT: Cripps (soreness), Docherty (soreness), E.Curnow, Marchbank, Pittonet, Motlop (illness)

Backs:Brodie KempJacob WeiteringAlex Cincotta
Half-backs:Adam SaadMitch McGovernNic Newman
Centreline:Blake AcresSam WalshOllie Hollands
Half-forwards:Jack MartinHarry McKayDavid Cuningham
Forwards:Lachie FogartyCharlie CurnowMatthew Owies
Followers:Tom De KoningAdam CerraGeorge Hewett
Interchange:Matthew CottrellPaddy DowZac Fisher
Corey Durdin
Emergencies:Ed CurnowMarc PittonetCaleb Marchbank

*Update 26th August

Last edited:
Going to be an absolutely amazing Carlton atmosphere tomorrow. Sold out and almost 100% Blues crowd. How great is that for our kids… This is what it was like for us growing up, so happy they are experiencing it now. Up the baggers..
Have u watched the games?
GWS can seriously play & Kingsley & Co are a very strong coaching unit. I’d argue this is likely the toughest game we have faced, they can score heavily quickly & there back line is very solid. They have a few out & out guns running around.
Not saying we can’t/won’t beat them, but u 100% need to respect them & not give them a start or drop off.
They looked awesome last week against witches hats.

There’s a reason why they are battling for 8th - had a five game run at the same time as us & dropped a couple.

Let’s see what manic pressure does to their disposal.

& 45000 Blues fans

What do we want?
  • Hard fought game where we run away with it half way through the third.
  • All players demonstrate strong form, particularly our Ins.
  • No injuries.
  • Carlton's pressure being excellent.
  • McKay in a new ruck role described as "scary".
  • Carlton far far too quick and too good in the contests.
  • More head scratching over team selection as too many playing too well to leave out.

When do we want it..... now.

I think Durds had 12 tackles last week in his first game back in the two’s
I rate him and probably still have him as best 22 going into next season or close to it. He's a tackling and pressure machine. Has intent, speed, agility and is a strong tackler. The shoulder is a worry as you can't tackle with a bung shoulder.

Thing about Durdin is that he was recruited as a midfielder who also went forward. For some reason we hardly saw him go into the middle but when we did he was straight away involved. One thing Voss was doing wrong that he has got right is not rotating forwards through the middle. I see Durdin as being a really good forward/Mid option. He's still young so maybe hasn't got the tank yet. I see him as a Fogarty upgrade. Plays the same way but is quicker and a better kick.

Our complete change in ball movement from slow and coming in from wide to going quicker and up the middle or bringing the ball back inside earlier has done our forwards the world of good. Prior to that all our forwards were failing, now they are all succeeding. Durdin hasn't had the opportunity to play in this version of Carlton.

I can imagine him with his speed, hardness and skills with a little more space in the forward line being really dangerous and even if he doesn't get it we know he should bring some elite pressure.

He comes in without form or much match fitness but we know he's a competitor and with so much on the line I think we will get nothing but effort out of him. He'll be hungry.

what are you really trying to say?
You know it!

No chance the foot comes off the gas. There’s spots up for grabs across every line. Everyone (bar Weiters, Charlie, Harry etc) will be conscious that if u don’t perform u might not have a spot 1st final. That alone will keep the foot on the gas, just hope that they don’t actually try to do too much to standout & look good.
Yeah you hope there aren't injuries. Can see some of our key movers perhaps being a step short, like Cerra. Coming back from a hammy you would be thinking I just want to get through and not do it again. Think Walsh is too mad to hold back, doesn't know how. Have seen Cerra first game back not being that great.

Not having Docherty and Cripps out there could be interesting. We will see how ingrained it is in us.

I think you may be right, there are a heap of guys who know that Cripps and Docherty are coming back. That Kennedy and Silvagni are getting fitter. That Pittonet is out. Motlop is out. Nearly every player has pressure on them so the hunger out there should be massive. Sure we have a core who are safe and secure and maybe some of them ease off but playing hard is infectious, it's hard not to play like that if the others around you are playing that way.

I hope we turn up, play with effort and blow them away without injuries. That's what I want to see.

The ruck thing could be what sends us to the next level.

We have had issues trying to hide DeKoning but more so Pittonet when not rucking. DeKoning forward, we're playing with 5.5 forwards. Pittonet forward and we're playing with 5 forwards. We go back to having 6 forwards and a ruckman sized second ruck who can get around the ground and take a mark. You offer that to any team and they take it.

As for McKay, he's used to having a good key defender sticking to him like glue, in the ruck he gets a ruckman. So we can create a mismatch here. IMO he could be lethal as we come out of defence.

They could plan for that and send a defender up into the middle but this opens them up in defence, that opens the door for the 6 forwards.

One or two elite tall forwards at all time. 4 or 5 red hot form small/medium forwards at all time. A stacked quick midfield with the two rotations in fogarty and cuningham.

We are going into this game very quick and pretty good. Minus two of our best of course. If we turn up we belt GWS.

Walsh, Cerra and Dow. Its a different look for us. If they get a hold of them and we start running it forward out of stoppages we will kick a big score.

On the other side, no Cripps or Docherty is huge. Both have done a lot of heavy lifting and the match fitness of Cerra, McGovern and Walsh is questionable.

If McKay gives us a good 20 ninutes in the ruck. DeKoning who loves being first ruck gets going. Our midfield starts running and our pressure stays elite, Carlton by 30-50 points.

I look at our team, there's no weak links. A lot of guys playing for their place in the side. Last week wasn't a loss but it was damn close to it, the coach and players would not be happy with that, we'd like to better that performance.
I don't see the issue with hiding H from the ruck. If the team requires that he chops out for a dew minutes a quarter in the ruck, step up young man!
He is dynamite for his size around the ground with good skills by hand and foot. Clunks a mark better that Pitto and King.
In terms of the CB contests, the knee is a risk but, that's footy. Daniher manages and he is much more fragile than Harry.

I don't see the issue with hiding H from the ruck. If the team requires that he chops out for a dew minutes a quarter in the ruck, step up young man!
He is dynamite for his size around the ground with good skills by hand and foot. Clunks a mark better that Pitto and King.
In terms of the CB contests, the knee is a risk but, that's footy. Daniher manages and he is much more fragile than Harry.

I've had meniscus removed, it's not like recovering from a strain, once the swelling has gone and it's good, then it's good to go, there is no increased injury risk as there is no ligament damage. I've had PCL injury and that sort of thing is risky but Harry's knee should be cherry ripe and at no more risk than it was earlier.

Watching Daniher do it now and Lions kicking goals, that's us all over. McKay without a key defender on him, opposed to a ruckman, he'll be a great link up and help the mids connect with the forwards better.

It's a dynamite move by the coaching staff IMO.

The other thing is McKay was terrible against the sun's. How long until he's having an impact as a forward? In the ruck he impacts straight away, he's in the game, he's contributing.

Most teams know you can't have two pure rucks. This gives us a forward ruck who is ruckman size, genuine forward and is a good all round footballer. We have never had that. So around the ground, ground level play, tackling, marking, he will be in the game. It will also get him match fit sooner.

One thing about this game, it's the first game we have played in 23 years where a home and away game doesn't mean much but players still need to play well to retain a spot.
We're all wondering if we will turn up. The thing is, because the result doesn't mean much, we might play as if there is nothing to lose, take even more risk and be more daring. That could work in our favour, could see us turn if over a bit and get burnt but could also see some amazing attacking plays.

Think the key is building our offensive pressure. Make it hard for them to defend. They get caught out in space, they have to run extra hard to get back to defend, put them under real pressure and make them spend a lot of energy defending us.

Shackles are off, that's been a big part of our turnaround. Could be off to another level.

Swans need to win by 5 goals plus and we need to lose by a similar margin to drop to 6th

Which would mean we play the Giants at the G

We win, we play either the Dogs (if they beat the Cats) or Giants

If Swans and us lose

We play the Swans.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This ⬇️

Happy New Year GIF

Would love to see a very big win. That is all.
Would say it will be a meat grinder
We don't dominate gws
They go in expecting a contest.....work for 4 qaurters
In fact if gws come out in gf performance we can track them down.study and build for coming weeks including this game
Will need focus...and possibly outwork them late...with our mids hopefully outspreading them esp late,it was our weakness now Carlton can spread beautifully...its a fantastic game...to fathom sometimes. 🆗 Tim clarke

Last edited:
Would say it will be a meat grinder
We don't dominate gws
They go in expecting a contest.....work for 4 qaurters
In fact if gws come out in gf performance we can track them down.study and build for coming weeks including this game
Will need focus...and possibly outwork them late...with our mids hopefully outspreading them esp late,it was our weakness now Carlton can spread beautifully...its a fantastic game...to fathom sometimes. 🆗 Tim clarke
Now you went and spoilt my fantasy........

In which we show the reason we climbed from 4th bottom and crushed all comers

I think we’ve well and truely demonstrated this psyche over the last 9 weeks.

They’ve all been statement games from where I sit.
We’ve had to win every game until now and we have stood tall. This week, it’s a different statement, as we don’t need to win. this week it’s about showing the killer instinct. We shouldn’t shy away from these.

I am born in 1992 tragic that had a mother convince him to be a Carlton supporter, had a father who barracked for Carlton so I only missed out on premierships at 16, 21,22,23 years of age. Terrible I know. Have stayed loyal all the way through… legends member 2xs I might add…. Remember as a kid at the pub in 99 and a man told me why are you wearing the Carlton jumper use arnt gunna win! I said bullshit we arnt! The week before at my uncles who was mad Carlton shouting at the screen all night! Every time we kicked a point “that one will count at the end” blah blah. In the end he was right. (Thanks Frazier brown) anyway long storey short I love the club and have had any Carlton arrogance… even though I would have loved to of had it! I’ve been very reserved all year (especially after last year) but I think with a few back this week and if we can beat a very very dangerous giants team (who I think can go all the way like the dogs in “16 by the way) then I’ll be a true believer and I will start to believe we can actually do it. I’m so scared and excited at the same time! Go blues! I love the club! Smash the giants so I can dream!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back