Preview 2023 Rd 24 Carlton vs GWS Sunday August 27 6:10PM @ Marvel Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Final Team is in ...

IN: Cerra, Fogarty, McGovern, Walsh, C. Durdin
OUT: Cripps (soreness), Docherty (soreness), E.Curnow, Marchbank, Pittonet, Motlop (illness)

Backs:Brodie KempJacob WeiteringAlex Cincotta
Half-backs:Adam SaadMitch McGovernNic Newman
Centreline:Blake AcresSam WalshOllie Hollands
Half-forwards:Jack MartinHarry McKayDavid Cuningham
Forwards:Lachie FogartyCharlie CurnowMatthew Owies
Followers:Tom De KoningAdam CerraGeorge Hewett
Interchange:Matthew CottrellPaddy DowZac Fisher
Corey Durdin
Emergencies:Ed CurnowMarc PittonetCaleb Marchbank

*Update 26th August

Last edited:
It's crazy how all of a sudden we seem to have such good depth.

Durds has had a tough year with injury but started this season ahead of Motlop and Fogarty in the pecking order.

I'm confident we have a home final wrapped up so it's a great game to get him back into the team, along with the other players returning from injury. Good for the team and don't think it will hurt Motlop to have the extra rest, although he might be worried about his spot in the team.

Competition in all spots of the ground...we have few 'locks' and that's a good thing. Keeps the guys motivated.
It's great, we're young and we bat really deep. Have young guys developing in the background, have 30+ really good AFL quality players.

A lot of things just coming together all at once.

I think the last year and a half Durdin had been in most people's best 22. Was really tough in our forward line first half of the year then he got injured and then we turned it around.

I'm expecting that next year he becomes an upgrade on Fogarty, just a slightly better version, but there could be room for both.

Small forward depth is really good. Go back a couple of years and the criticism was we had no small forwards, desperately chased Papley, now they have come on and we are all good.

Back to normal Michael 😜
I call it as I see it, GWS are the 4th or 5th best side on form, this is their grand final. We may have little to play for and a bunch of players coming off 4 to 6 week injuries. I predict we will lose this and then run deep during the finals. We can win the flag

Will be interesting to see the psyche of the team if we have a home final secured before our game and GWS need to win to play finals.

Think we will play at a good intensity given we want to be in good form heading into the finals and there is competition for spots.

We are playing 4 guys coming back from reasonably long injuries though and last week the team were a bit off, so will be interesting to see if we can bring the intensity or look a bit flat.
100%. Accelerator could come off. Depends how ingrained this way of playing, our effort and physicality is etc.

Trust Russell to manage the players and get them back up, with our depth he's got flexibility to rest guys.

Cripps and Docherty are two guys who drive our standards, they are leading well, so that lack of leadership could also flatten us out a bit.

It just depends how ingrained it is in us. A lot playing for a spot in the team so there will be hungry players out there.

Do want a home final, hope we win, we should but it depends whether we turn up.

Just watched the Kayo mini of the GWS-Drug Chaets game from last week.

The DCs were insipid (akin to last night). Maybe worse!

The DC 'stars' that didn't play last night (Stringer, 2M Peter etc.) were invisible....

GWS were doing as they pleased, taking uncontested marks I50 at will and running through the middle in a canter....

Led by 71 at HT.

Not sure it was the ideal prep for them, for a match (tomorrow) they must really win.

Reckon we'll give them a big wake up call and we'll be on from the get go.

Last edited:
I call it as I see it, GWS are the 4th or 5th best side on form, this is their grand final. We may have little to play for and a bunch of players coming off 4 to 6 week injuries. I predict we will lose this and then run deep during the finals. We can win the flag
I think many are overplaying GWS' form.

They've only played 1 top side in the last 5 rounds and were thrashed. A side we beat by 50.

Even a Sydney (without a few) got in front early in H2 and were neve really threatened.

The rest of the opponents were pretty meh.

1693022339802.png

Last edited:
Looking forward to seeing how we go this week. There will be a few players who could be considered deserving of a spot in our team for the elimination final disappointed when others come back and they miss out. It's a great position to be in. I think that whether we win or lose we will see at least 4 changes to the team before the next match.

100%. Accelerator could come off. Depends how ingrained this way of playing, our effort and physicality is etc.

Trust Russell to manage the players and get them back up, with our depth he's got flexibility to rest guys.

Cripps and Docherty are two guys who drive our standards, they are leading well, so that lack of leadership could also flatten us out a bit.

It just depends how ingrained it is in us. A lot playing for a spot in the team so there will be hungry players out there.

No chance the foot comes off the gas. There’s spots up for grabs across every line. Everyone (bar Weiters, Charlie, Harry etc) will be conscious that if u don’t perform u might not have a spot 1st final. That alone will keep the foot on the gas, just hope that they don’t actually try to do too much to standout & look good.

I think many are overplaying GWS' form.

TThey've only played 1 top side in the last 5 rounds and were thrashed. A side we beat by 50.

Even a Sydney (without a few) got in front early in H2 and were neve really threatened.

The rest of the opponents were pretty meh.

View attachment 1786043
Have u watched the games?
GWS can seriously play & Kingsley & Co are a very strong coaching unit. I’d argue this is likely the toughest game we have faced, they can score heavily quickly & there back line is very solid. They have a few out & out guns running around.
Not saying we can’t/won’t beat them, but u 100% need to respect them & not give them a start or drop off.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

what are you really trying to say?

Have u watched the games?
GWS can seriously play & Kingsley & Co are a very strong coaching unit. I’d argue this is likely the toughest game we have faced, they can score heavily quickly & there back line is very solid. They have a few out & out guns running around.
Not saying we can’t/won’t beat them, but u 100% need to respect them & not give them a start or drop off.
Yes, some in full. others highlights.

Sure, they've got a few terrific players. Just not sure their results (as I posted) warrant the hype of late.

We should start as heavy favourites and expect to win comfortably.

It's great, we're young and we bat really deep. Have young guys developing in the background, have 30+ really good AFL quality players.

A lot of things just coming together all at once.

I think the last year and a half Durdin had been in most people's best 22. Was really tough in our forward line first half of the year then he got injured and then we turned it around.

I'm expecting that next year he becomes an upgrade on Fogarty, just a slightly better version, but there could be room for both.

Small forward depth is really good. Go back a couple of years and the criticism was we had no small forwards, desperately chased Papley, now they have come on and we are all good.
I think Durds had 12 tackles last week in his first game back in the two’s

As long as the Lions beat St Kilda we will get a home final so we will know later tonight that result.
Wouldn't be surprised if the Swans win and the doggies do too.
It will be an interesting game if GWS have to win to get back into the 8.
Will be at the game & will charge to the boundary & mozz any Saints player if necessary - good ol “chewy on ya boot” should do the trick

I think Durds had 12 tackles last week in his first game back in the two’s
Probably more an indication of how often we were second to the ball in that game. A 20 goal drubbing, GC were never under pressure .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back