Ultimate Glory 2023 Trade speculation and Shinbeggars discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t want Rat and especially at the cost being mentioned but I wonder if the current recruiting team is still standing by the same philosophy as the previous group.

I am totally okay with adapting to the times (slightly) and adjusting to the current market. However that obviously still doesn’t include 7 year deals for Box Hill players.
I can't sit here and pretend that we haven't offered Ratugolea a deal because like all of us we just don't know if we have or haven't but if we have then there's no way in hell we've offered anything close to the terms that have been mentioned.

For anyone that is speculating that we'd entertain offering him any of the deals that have been floated in the media they seriously need to consider what we've recently handed out to our top echelon of players and what kind of message it would send them especially if some are on minimum chips biding there time. Yes the time will come when we'll have to put in competitive offers to snag FA's but not just any old FA's but rather star FA's. Overpaying for guys like Ratugolea has the ability to ruin a club culture quite frankly it's the kind of thing a club like the * would do.

I am not keen on Chol. I think we can do better.

You gotta feel a little bit for Chol.

Left Richmond after not being supported in 'grope-gate' and really, Dimma wasn't a fan.

Goes north to be closer to family (and probably GC the best suitor even on about $450K per year) - and then finds out that his new coach is.......Dimma.

All the talent in the world, but allowed too much latitude by Dew regarding fitness / weight / training (the irony is not lost on me I assure you) - and finds himself in the VFL again, with a new coach who doesn't rate him.

Nor did Steven King.

BUT - always a but at trade time - Chol booted 44 goals when he was half fit and carrying 7-8 kg of excess weight.

He has all the talent in the world, but coach after coach let him get away with poor training and still gave him game time - and a club gave him a salary that 99% of Australians would love.

He will find a home somewhere - the exit interviews are done at GC - so the 'gettable' talk probably has some legs.

He's only 26 - but he's under contract until 2025.

If he goes that leaves a busted up Levi, and Chris Burgess as back-up to Ben King, who still hasn't extended - Jed Walter has a massive task on his hands to step up pretty much from day one.

Get Chol fit, motivated, and fully bought into a clubs philosophy - there's a 60 - 70 goal FF right there.

Hardwick, Dew and King have failed in that - can Sam Mitchell be the one that does, or do Hawthorn wait to see how GCS perform in 2024 - because that's 100% what Ben King will base his decision on.

If SM does think he can unlock Chol - and you are letting Kosi go - then there is a spot, regardless of the very real possibility of Ben King in 2024.

Lewis, Chol and Ryan / DGB would be very potent - and Chol could do the Kosi 'ruck' role much better.

But Chol has to buy in,and change his mindset - and I'm not too sure he really wants to at GC.

Him moving on does suit GCS - getting enough points from a Chol trade frees up Pick 4 for other uses.

Maybe a club with a better culture will have more luck with Chol. It's all about risk / reward I guess.

People really need to learn the difference between ‘then’ and ‘than’.
What he said can still be correct, although not sure why he would smell his own farts before going for Chol.

I don't rate Chol but if GC were keen to get rid of his contract and it helped us get pick 4 I'd be all over it. FF and 29 for pick 4 and Chol, which also should hopefully mean we don't go after Esava

Chol and Dimma didn’t see eye to eye.

Chol will be moved somewhere.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Am I the only one who thinks that $$$ is now becoming secondary to draft picks?

Could it be that the Hawks are willing to overpay an average player like Ratugolea in dollar terms just to fill a structural need as long as they don't have to give away much draft capital?

Maybe clubs are banking on a serious bump to total player payments at next player EBA?

I'm just trying to get my head around us (allegedly) offering someone like Esava $5m over 7 years. It's like clubs aren't even giving two f....s about the salary cap these days?

Maybe clubs are banking on a serious bump to total player payments at next player EBA?

I'm just trying to get my head around us (allegedly) offering someone like Esava $5m over 7 years. It's like clubs aren't even giving two f....s about the salary cap these days?
It doesn't matter what the EBA is going to be unless you are one of the few clubs that don't put an auto EBA adjustment on contracts in line with any EBA movements. Hawthorn I believe puts the auto adjustments, or it has in the past.

Am I the only one who thinks that $$$ is now becoming secondary to draft picks?

Could it be that the Hawks are willing to overpay an average player like Ratugolea in dollar terms just to fill a structural need as long as they don't have to give away much draft capital?

I don’t think we are that desperate and from my Club contact we have not offered him anywhere near what has been reported.

It doesn't matter what the EBA is going to be unless you are one of the few clubs that don't put an auto EBA adjustment on contracts in line with any EBA movements. Hawthorn I believe puts the auto adjustments, or it has in the past.
Then that makes this Esava rumour even more perplexing.

If he does indeed snag $5 million over 7 years he will be earning more than Sicily (the best CHB in the leauge and our best player by miles).

I posted on this previously, the amounts AFL clubs overpay to snag average players is just mind boggling to me.

Be like a suburban accountant earning $90k a year getting an offer from another accounting firm just around the block to do the same role for $200k.

Crazy economics.

You gotta feel a little bit for Chol.

Left Richmond after not being supported in 'grope-gate' and really, Dimma wasn't a fan.

Goes north to be closer to family (and probably GC the best suitor even on about $450K per year) - and then finds out that his new coach is.......Dimma.

All the talent in the world, but allowed too much latitude by Dew regarding fitness / weight / training (the irony is not lost on me I assure you) - and finds himself in the VFL again, with a new coach who doesn't rate him.

Nor did Steven King.

BUT - always a but at trade time - Chol booted 44 goals when he was half fit and carrying 7-8 kg of excess weight.

He has all the talent in the world, but coach after coach let him get away with poor training and still gave him game time - and a club gave him a salary that 99% of Australians would love.

He will find a home somewhere - the exit interviews are done at GC - so the 'gettable' talk probably has some legs.

He's only 26 - but he's under contract until 2025.

If he goes that leaves a busted up Levi, and Chris Burgess as back-up to Ben King, who still hasn't extended - Jed Walter has a massive task on his hands to step up pretty much from day one.

Get Chol fit, motivated, and fully bought into a clubs philosophy - there's a 60 - 70 goal FF right there.

Hardwick, Dew and King have failed in that - can Sam Mitchell be the one that does, or do Hawthorn wait to see how GCS perform in 2024 - because that's 100% what Ben King will base his decision on.

If SM does think he can unlock Chol - and you are letting Kosi go - then there is a spot, regardless of the very real possibility of Ben King in 2024.

Lewis, Chol and Ryan / DGB would be very potent - and Chol could do the Kosi 'ruck' role much better.

But Chol has to buy in,and change his mindset - and I'm not too sure he really wants to at GC.

Him moving on does suit GCS - getting enough points from a Chol trade frees up Pick 4 for other uses.

Maybe a club with a better culture will have more luck with Chol. It's all about risk / reward I guess.
Our fitness man from the Tigers would know plenty about Chol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back