List Mgmt. 2023 Trade Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, Coff can be a gun. We've seen it at afl level already.

I was a big fan in 2020 but in reality "gun" is way OTT. He's never had more than 23 touches in a game (averages 14 across his career). He's only had 20 or over 5 times in his 50 games. In his fifth last game he had 5 possessions in 86% game time. His marking was his strength and averages 5.7 a game though. He was a promising player who has been out for 2 years injured and hasn't shown what he's capable of yet but gun is more like what Nas is doing.

You would want to be sure you could get that pick before you trade the players. I’d imagine just about every club will be after that pick. It won’t come easy.
Luckily trade talks don’t occur solely in the trade period.

Clubs meet up throughout the year these days

I was a big fan in 2020 but in reality "gun" is way OTT. He's never had more than 23 touches in a game (averages 14 across his career). He's only had 20 or over 5 times in his 50 games. In his fifth last game he had 5 possessions in 86% game time. His marking was his strength and averages 5.7 a game though. He was a promising player who has been out for 2 years injured and hasn't shown what he's capable of yet but gun is more like what Nas is doing.

I think he has shown that he can become a gun. He was very good in 2020. Don't think it's worth it for us at this stage when he's finally got fit to trade, coz he's value is probably pretty low and he's just got back to fitness

Luckily trade talks don’t occur solely in the trade period.

Clubs meet up throughout the year these days
I didn’t suggest that was the case?

But you are also kidding yourself if you think the Suns would be promising the pick to anyone this far out.

They will wait to see who can offer the best hand and we won’t know who has that until trades start happening.

Got the most X factor at around our pick
Not sure his skill set is beneficial to our current forward line. He plays KPF at 192 so will be pigeon-holed into that 3rd tall in a forward line where we have currently players like Sharman, Pou and Owens who can all perform at the good level.
Spending a top 12 pick on a position that we don't need isn't really a great idea imo

Would much rather trade up for a top talent like Curtain or Duursma in the top 5.

That all sounds a bit hyperbolic but I can't see the sense in losing him. He's worth FA so might as well hold on to him and hope that he can get his body right. He'd be lucky to get a third round pick in a shallow draft. Good chance that's the same as de-listing him.
Maybe instead of having a go at me, get down to training and see for yourself. Jesus, I tell you what I see with my eyes, but get shItcanned for it.
Anybody else who goes to training, is there a noticable change to Coffield's size or not over the past two seasons?

Got the most X factor at around our pick

I love him, got the Curnow vibe. He makes shit happen and loves being the man. Not sure he's what we need but he'd be nice.

I think because when you watch them as very biased spectators in a stressful scenario, then every little mistake is magnified. And when you notice a mistake or two, then the next ones are amplified even more. If we were to do it, then this would seem to be peak time given almost desperation for some teams to grab one.
I think I’ve got a fairly unbiased view on Howard. I’ve mostly backed him when fans have bashed him, but at the same time I know he also has his deficiencies and is a long way off the comps best defenders.

We’d need to find a club that values him a lot higher than us obviously, otherwise we wouldn’t be looking to off load him when a big key defender has been a weakness for so long.

Maybe instead of having a go at me, get down to training and see for yourself. Jesus, I tell you what I see with my eyes, but get shItcanned for it.
Anybody else who goes to training, is there a noticable change to Coffield's size or not over the past two seasons?
So you giving up your time to go to training and see the 'hyperbole' or not?

I don’t believe they do.
I think the emphasis is on personal development before team performance.
We have a hint of that in the move Van Es forward story.
Also, I understand that Batchelor has a strong reporting line to Carroll.
If that’s the case, it doesn’t matter the colour of the jumper.
Nor the $’s invested.
The coach of the team is vested in a philosophy that emphasises personal before team.
The reality is that Sandringham is a feeder team.
As a matter of interest, I also believe that this is the same approach taken by both Hawthorn and Collingwood.
The reasons behind Sandringham’s performance might lie elsewhere.

Have you not played in sucessful teams? Playing in sides that are competitive and winning finals lifts you to another level and gets you playing at a much higher level than if the team is getting flogged every second week. Football is a team game and that internal competitiveness is where the best development occurs - not as individuals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But you are also kidding yourself if you think the Suns would be promising the pick to anyone this far out.

They will wait to see who can offer the best hand and we won’t know who has that until trades start happening.
I don’t think they are promising anything.

But I do think clubs give ideas as to what’s required for the framework of a deal and then let clubs come back to them when it matters and they go from there

He's an absolute specimen these days. Agreed

So you giving up your time to go to training and see the 'hyperbole' or not?

The anti Acres stuff where he's tearing it up at another club was the hyperbole. Size means FA to me, much prefer to see him play good footy without getting injured. I'm not advocating for him to be traded.

Have you not played in sucessful teams? Playing in sides that are competitive and winning finals lifts you to another level and gets you playing at a much higher level than if the team is getting flogged every second week. Football is a team game and that internal competitiveness is where the best development occurs - not as individuals.

I think you can still develop players over wins and surrounding them with strong older bodies to help carry the load is a much better system. You can still invest in it without changing the the way you go about developing inside that system.

I think our new recruitment team will be looking at all avenues to bring in midfield talent.

Coffield just seems to be surplus to our needs at the moment. Even when he gets fit again, he will have to fight his way back into the team.

He's been fit for a month & is a good chance to be sub this week.

Obviously rated above quite a few others.

The anti Acres stuff where he's tearing it up at another club was the hyperbole. Size means FA to me, much prefer to see him play good footy without getting injured. I'm not advocating for him to be traded.
Blacres has has a turn in form that has matched Carlscum's turnaround.

He was ordinary at best for the 1st half of the season (& cost them the game v Richmond from memory).

The hyperbole is that he's a better player than Hill.

In good form currently but he's done that before & dropped off.

The footage of him bursting through the centre at Sandy a few weeks back was #froffield.

You don't get rid of a physical specimen like Coff who also has the footy IQ and skills to match.

Absolute madness if that happens.

I don’t think they are promising anything.

But I do think clubs give ideas as to what’s required for the framework of a deal and then let clubs come back to them when it matters and they go from there
Yes of course

But it’s a big risk trading out a heap of senior players for average picks in the hope that you are eventually the club ending up with the best draft hand to deal with Gold Coast.

Great if it pays of, if not we are left with a heap of picks between 20 and 40 in an average and shallow draft.

Not ideal when depth already seems an issue in my opinion.

I think I’ve got a fairly unbiased view on Howard. I’ve mostly backed him when fans have bashed him, but at the same time I know he also has his deficiencies and is a long way off the comps best defenders.

We’d need to find a club that values him a lot higher than us obviously, otherwise we wouldn’t be looking to off load him when a big key defender has been a weakness for so long.

IMO it depends a lot on what happens tomorrow. I expect Hawkins and probably Cameron to tear us up in the absence of Howard, which will make it clear that we can't get rid of him without direct replacement. Even if we're building for the future we can't afford to have a glaring weakness against big key forwards.

But if Cordy+Wilkie+Battle can do a job between them on the most dangerous key forward duo in the comp, then it feels like Howard becomes more dispensable in the short-term. Will be interesting to see how that goes.

Yes of course

But it’s a big risk trading out a heap of senior players for average picks in the hope that you are eventually the club ending up with the best draft hand to deal with Gold Coast.

Great if it pays of, if not we are left with a heap of picks between 20 and 40 in an average and shallow draft.

Not ideal when depth already seems an issue in my opinion.
Based on this year, which “senior” players are rumoured to be moved on are indispensable to us?

Membrey has barely played and been poor when he has. He could very well be worth more to another club then to us on the basis we have found one in caminiti.

Clark? Been over taken by a few and sitting very much on the periphery

Billings? Well over taken. 28 today. There isn’t a player I’m dropping in Saturday nights 22 for him.

Gresham… had all the opportunities in the world in a decent side this year to show us how good he is and why he should be worth a big contract for us. He is frustrating and stands out like dogs balls most weeks as someone who can’t lift with the side this season.

Howard. Important because of position. Not because of talent. Cordy & a stop gap could very well spell the end of him at the saints whilst we develop other options.

That’s the 5 I mentioned that Twomey has backed up.

What’s the point in holding all of them if we have players going past them and If you have the opportunity to cash in and bring in talent that sits in the right demographic of where we want to be?

You may be right if they trade out the likes of Flanders, Hollands or Sharp? If you look at the their list I think they will probably have 6 or 7 players move on at seasons end, so unless they trade in others they will have quite a few positions to fill at the draft.

We all know they have 3 academy players that will be bid on and taken in the top 15 of the draft. Even with the discount for academy players thats around 4200 points (possibly more) they have to find in the 1st round. With their current picks they have 4600 points, and they have another player who will most go in the 2nd round. It will depend on their list numbers, but I believe there is a strong chance they will and/or have offered their pick 4 for trade to see what it will bring bid wise. Walters will be bid on at pick # 2 so they would be mad not to test the market, if they can improve their draft hand as well as taking their academy kids.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back