Resource 2024 AFL Draft discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Dissapointing with Welsh, some were suggesting we had to trade our first round pick as he was going top 5. As you say, doesn't mean he isn't a good player, it would just be nice to get a top rated player.
If it give us more freedom on draft night it might end up a blessing in disguise. Especially if Welsh comes on at AFL level (which I predict he will).

I didn't realize Port didn't have a 1st. I had them picking in the 10-13 range (10 currently). I'm still more skewed to wait that one out then say he's a lock top 10 right now. I really like Sid Draper, but thats not a hill I need to die on.

Regarding Welsh, personally I think the impact of a F/S pick can go both directions on draft value. So him being picked on the fringe of the 1st, or start of round 3 seem equally likely to me.
Yeah Port traded their 2024 1st for Ratugolea and Soldo 😂

Fremantle the big winner

Interesting that Welsh isn't ranked top 30 in any of the 3 rankings so far. Good chance to be able to get our first 2 picks in before a bid comes. Should have enough draft points in our 3rd and 4th round picks to absorb a bid from 31 onwards. Hopefully the Dees tank a little more to get us an earlier 2nd pick than we currently have (27)

Hamish has to be licking his lips at all of these highly rated explosive midfielders.

Just means he will have less competition to grab 194cm Key Defender Luke Trainor with pick 4 or pick 5.
Does that mean Hamish drafted Curtin as a midfielder as not even he will select 2 KPD in the top 10 after consecutive draft.......

Better balanced than Twomey's IMO.

If we have our second rounder and Dobson is there, we would be crazy not to take him if he puts his name in the afl draft

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

If we have our second rounder and Dobson is there, we would be crazy not to take him if he puts his name in the afl draft

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Akex DoDson would have to be I'd hope, given we were supposed to have interest in Taylor Goad last year...This bloke is definitely an all round better footballer than Goad and it appears he's a better basketballer too though that's not a subject I'm across like most.

Akex DoDson would have to be I'd hope, given we were supposed to have interest in Taylor Goad last year...This bloke is definitely an all round better footballer than Goad and it appears he's a better basketballer too though that's not a subject I'm across like most.

Yeah Dodson and Joe Berry are ones that have caught my interest, purely based on reading their profiles/game style, and our list needs.

Dodson and Urquhart players that used the Nationals to win plenty of admirers you would expect. Either would be good, both even better. We don’t draft too many lads out of WA though, Curtin being the first for some time.

I noticed only one WA lad made the list of top 30 prospects. The focus is very much on the Victorian lads. Granted they were the best two teams, but they don’t have all the talent

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dodson and Urquhart players that used the Nationals to win plenty of admirers you would expect. Either would be good, both even better. We don’t draft too many lads out of WA though, Curtin being the first for some time.

I noticed only one WA lad made the list of top 30 prospects. The focus is very much on the Victorian lads. Granted they were the best two teams, but they don’t have all the talent
if we trade keane and berry as per some rumors then maybe we can get st kilda and collingwood second round picks this year for them.

Absolutely no other chance of us getting another Top 10 pick unless it's with GC, and I reckon every man and their dog will be after it. GC will obviously want to get ahead of a bid on Lombard, and have more than enough points to cover the actual bid for him too, so my guess is that they'll look to move one pick into next year, and trade with someone this year in the top 4 (Lombard I think is top 5).

Freo almost certain to give the Tigers whatever 1st rounder is less valuable from the bottom two (tied to Collingwood and Port)

1721199584090.png

Last edited:
Or he’s not the player we hope he is? Even after 8 months in an AFL system, he couldn’t string together a commanding carnival. We better hope he’s tanking.
Welsh does a lot of things that says he isn't just a tall mark and kick forward so I'm very surprise he isn't even considered in the top 20. There was a play were he smothered a poor inside 50m kick to him and then quickly got to his feet and snap for a goal, he also took quite a few strong contested marks at their highest point with the defender having no chance of spoiling but then missed a lot of set shots which would usually kick (easily could have kicked 3 goals in his last Carnival game but only kicked 1 after missing a few very easy set shots). And then there was that play done they wing at the SANFL level only a few weeks.

Or he’s not the player we hope he is? Even after 8 months in an AFL system, he couldn’t string together a commanding carnival. We better hope he’s tanking.

He's a pretty typical SA candidate. Looks awesome as an underager, then falls well behind the Victorian kids in their final year.

It's up to us (or whoever drafts them) to reverse that every time

Yeah playing forward in a very ordinary underperforming SA U18's team at the Nationals and a Crows SANFL that has mostly been getting shellacked this season.

Edit :

And I might add at the Nationals he wasn't the focus up forward either, it was obvious Bamford had instructed them to go to the two tall towers Tallan Rosenzweig and Charlie Nicholls.

Last edited:
Do we look at trading Berry if Pies are interested and what to cough up something decent? I like the bloke as much as any Crows fan and want him to succeed here. But if you look at our side that beat saint kilda over the weekend we still have the following sitting outside the 22:
  • Rankine
  • Curtin I am assuming/hoping here that we switch on and develop him as the next Bont/Cripps as an inside mid that can rest forward and kick goals
  • Matt Crouch

The way I see it, is inside mids are probably the easily replaceable, and generally the quickest to develop and have an impact at AFL level. If Matt Crouch can continue the form he showed prior to his shoulder injury, then why not just continue to use him as our inside midfielder and develop Curtin, and trade Berry. As Crouch and Laird start to phase out of that inside mid role in the next 2-3 years, hopefully the likes of Curtin, Dowling, Soligo etc + 2024 First rounder are all ready to take the reigns.

If it is indeed a super draft and there's plenty of talent on offer, it makes sense from a list management perspective to trade Berry now assuming we get good value for him, and continue to use Crouch as the stop gap. Crouchy is still only turning 30 next year and his form warranted selection in almost any current side across the AFL, so its not like we're sacrificing anything other than having to let Berry go.

We really, really need to start finding some small forwards to make sure Rankine/Rash get good midfield time, and a ruck obviously.

You are surely putting a lot of faith in Rash, he just doesn’t have any natural instinct. Will get caught 9 times out of 10 every time. Really should be in the seconds atm.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Absolutely no other chance of us getting another Top 10 pick unless it's with GC, and I reckon every man and their dog will be after it. GC will obviously want to get ahead of a bid on Lombard, and have more than enough points to cover the actual bid for him too, so my guess is that they'll look to move one pick into next year, and trade with someone this year in the top 4 (Lombard I think is top 5).

Freo almost certain to give the Tigers whatever 1st rounder is less valuable from the bottom two (tied to Collingwood and Port)

View attachment 2050751
Jagga Smith set to play for Richmond VFL for 3 or 4 weeks before back to the Chargers late in the season.

Every chance they take him I'd think.

I find all the Victorian kids that are in the top 30 to be odd considering there didn't seem to be that much between all the respective teams. Not that much of a bother to me as hopefully we could pay little for some hidden gems. (Prolly Welsh will be the only one and he's not very hidden lol).

Remove this Banner Ad

Resource 2024 AFL Draft discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back