Resource 2024 AFL Draft discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Reckon Richmond or WC would be keen on Harvey Langford or Jagga Smith

Norf the interesting one, amazing Smillie didn't make the AA team but given has 195 Norf might turn him into a forward/mid hybrid.

Trouble is I now want Lalor AND Draper.
I want both as well but something the club doesn't do enough anymore is if splitting hairs always go the home grown talent, we're the pride of south Australia has little to no meaning anymore. Take Draper and trade in 2025 1st if possible to a team that needs to offload this year's 1st then hopefully move up and grab Lalor. If I was in charge of list management I'd be doing whatever I could to move picks forward this year up until 2027, using them to select the best talent or using them to find missing puzzle pieces through trade, Cooper Sharman is ooc at end of 2024 so a 2nd rounder will get that done, if we keep playing the kids I think we'll al start to see we're not far off from being a solid top 8 team, coach excluded

Question, you have seen enough of the other top end kids, if we end up with pick 4, do you think he is likely still on the draft board for us? or is he already likely gone.
I think our biggest threat is WCE, the Vic team's will slant towards local mids before Draper but the Eagles could secure there midfield for the next 10 years with Reid, Draper and Gibney

I think our biggest threat is WCE, the Vic team's will slant towards local mids before Draper but the Eagles could secure there midfield for the next 10 years with Reid, Draper and Gibney
Draper would definitely suit our midfield but personally I want us to split and trade down in a deep draft.

I don't know, do North need more picks? They certainly don't need mids, who make up the majority of the Top 10

Do either of those teams give up the opportunity of that really high end talent, even though the Top 10 bats deep?

Lots to play out
In an interview with Alistair Clarkson last week he said his biggest priority was drafting a key forward. I know Clarko doesn't get the final say but their list is packed with mids, the problem is they only currently have one 1st rounder so there's no benefit to either team. The only chance we might have is getting a deal done with GC, considering that they might trade 8 or 9 for rioli we could enquire about trading the remaining pick for a 2025 1st and some swaps of later picks, being mindful to have enough points to match for Welsh. I do think we should be clearing the decks of driftwood and getting what we can , I understand Murphy, Ned and Gollant are worth almost nothing but there's quite a lot of talent in this year's draft that will go unselected or very late in this draft, I can see this draft running deep into a fourth round.

In an interview with Alistair Clarkson last week he said his biggest priority was drafting a key forward. I know Clarko doesn't get the final say but their list is packed with mids, the problem is they only currently have one 1st rounder so there's no benefit to either team. The only chance we might have is getting a deal done with GC, considering that they might trade 8 or 9 for rioli we could enquire about trading the remaining pick for a 2025 1st and some swaps of later picks, being mindful to have enough points to match for Welsh. I do think we should be clearing the decks of driftwood and getting what we can , I understand Murphy, Ned and Gollant are worth almost nothing but there's quite a lot of talent in this year's draft that will go unselected or very late in this draft, I can see this draft running deep into a fourth round.
I interpreted that differently. He was asked if a KPD or KPF was more important on the couch and he said a KPF, didn't specifically mention drafting one

if we trade keane and berry as per some rumors then maybe we can get st kilda and collingwood second round picks this year for them.
Berry for Saints second - pick 25 to 30 ish is the minimum we would need and in the same range we drafted him. I would prefer to keep him as 5-6 others are more obvious outs (Sloane, Parnell, Mc H, Gollant, Dragon to GWS, Smith).

And very happy to hear Keane wants to stay in ADL. Probably sees the big $ going around and could snag a 4/5 years @ 700k ish type deal IMO. No way would I accept Pies second rounder (pick 30-35) for a contracted and developing KPD

Absolutely no other chance of us getting another Top 10 pick unless it's with GC, and I reckon every man and their dog will be after it. GC will obviously want to get ahead of a bid on Lombard, and have more than enough points to cover the actual bid for him too, so my guess is that they'll look to move one pick into next year, and trade with someone this year in the top 4 (Lombard I think is top 5).

Freo almost certain to give the Tigers whatever 1st rounder is less valuable from the bottom two (tied to Collingwood and Port)

View attachment 2050751
Agree it’s gotta be GC and we are right at the sharp end of where they would need to be before their Academy player bid on. Would love to get their first 2 first rounders and wonder what additional we may need to give up in addition to our pick 4 ish

On what you just said, it would make a lot of sense if GC tried to bundle up their 2 x 1st rounders for the north pick. They get in ahead of a lombard bid so get 2 super talents in and north get to grab the best rated talls inside the top 10. I don't thing we have a snowballs chance in hell of getting one of those GC picks for a future pick with what else they could do

Reckon Richmond or WC would be keen on Harvey Langford or Jagga Smith

Norf the interesting one, amazing Smillie didn't make the AA team but given has 195 Norf might turn him into a forward/mid hybrid.
Smilie didn't make the team because he wasn't one of the best players at the carnival, he probably wouldn't have made a 2nd team either. Unlikely he turns into a forward given he isn't strong over head. Is one who could drop down a bit, has beaten up on weaker teams in the Coates league with his size but not the same impact when he went up a level. Red flag.

Berry for Saints second - pick 25 to 30 ish is the minimum we would need and in the same range we drafted him. I would prefer to keep him as 5-6 others are more obvious outs (Sloane, Parnell, Mc H, Gollant, Dragon to GWS, Smith).

And very happy to hear Keane wants to stay in ADL. Probably sees the big $ going around and could snag a 4/5 years @ 700k ish type deal IMO. No way would I accept Pies second rounder (pick 30-35) for a contracted and developing KPD
Collingwood has pick 26 and St Kilda has pick 25 in the second round
We have pick 31

Will it be unders for Keane for pick 26?
Berry for pick 25?
Gollant?
Hamill?
Himmelberg?
McHenry?

I'm hoping we can snag Cumming as free agent and he can replace Smith (retire).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Collingwood has pick 26 and St Kilda has pick 25 in the second round
We have pick 31

Will it be unders for Keane for pick 26?
Berry for pick 25?
Gollant?
Hamill?
Himmelberg?
McHenry?

I'm hoping we can snag Cumming as free agent and he can replace Smith (retire).
Ok fair call man. I assumed Pies will improve ladder posn but clearly that’s uncertain. Either way yes I think a contracted KPD showing some excellent upswing in his development curve is worth more than Berry. So 26 for Keane (now hypothetical if staying) I would be disappointed to pull the trigger on that trade as we hold the leverage here. I would be asking for Pies F1 with something going back there way perhaps.

I think all other players you list are likely gone unless H/berg decides to not go to GWS (unlikely). Hamill I have always rated and think he has played well this year. With Parnell likely gone, Smith about to go soon, Milera injury issues then a speedy defensive small is needed. Jones should be playing there (hbf) and Ryan longer term also (but may be another 1-3 years). Bond showed excellent signs on the weekend but just one game at this stage

Agree re Cummin. Surely with our war chest we snag either Cummin or an inflated Perryman

very low possibility in getting both.

BUT IF we did we can push Dawson out on the wing and have Rankine, Soligo, Curtin, Crouch, Dowling, Edwards, Lalor and Draper running through the mid.
It get your thinking, IF we could snare both Draper and Lalor under his example, get Curtin in the midfield rotations going forward, then to have Rankine, Dawson, Soligo, Curtin, Draper and Lalor as the primary mids. Rachele primarily up forward with pinch hits through the middle. Crouch would be gone by then, Edwards, Taylor and Dowling pushing. I like that as it would allow Dawson to slot back across half back when not in the middle and having his reading of the game and marking power there along with Worrell, Murray and Keane makes us very formidable. It COULD really be the making of us if we somehow could get 2 of the top end mids in this draft in.

Last edited:
It get you thinking, IF we could snare both Draper and Lalor under his example, get Curtin in the midfield rotations going forward, then to have Rankine, Dawson, Soligo, Curtin, Draper and Lalor as the primary mids. Rachele primarily up forward with pinch hits through the middle. Crouch would be gone by then, Edwards, Taylor and Dowling pushing. I like that as it would allow Dawson to slot back across half back when not in the middle and having his reading of the game and marking power there along with Worrell, Murray and Keane makes us very formidable. It COULD really be the making of us if we somehow could get 2 of the top end mids in this draft in.
Would be nice to have two first round picks this year but will be difficult and costly. Media has been talking up the talent in this draft so teams won’t trade out without being compensated well.

One of Freo’s first rounders could be a target for us. We would need to trade our future first and probably chuck in a sweetener late pick as well. They have Collingwood and Port’s first round picks this year. A future first could be useful for them if they are balls deep in Warner for a 2025 trade

Would be nice to have two first round picks this year but will be difficult and costly. Media has been talking up the talent in this draft so teams won’t trade out without being compensated well.

One of Freo’s first rounders could be a target for us. We would need to trade our future first and probably chuck in a sweetener late pick as well. They have Collingwood and Port’s first round picks this year. A future first could be useful for them if they are balls deep in Warner for a 2025 trade
IF Sam berry is headed to Collingwood, could we wangle their 2nd round pick? if so, maybe our F1 and the Collingwood 2nd for one of Freo's 1sts. Not sure why they would want to trade out of this years draft though?

IF Sam berry is headed to Collingwood, could we wangle their 2nd round pick? if so, maybe our F1 and the Collingwood 2nd for one of Freo's 1sts. Not sure why they would want to trade out of this years draft though?
Yeah that’s the question. Why would any team want to trade out of this year’s first round. Freo only came to mind as they have three first rounders and rumours re Warner for next year

We can't fit our pick 8 from last year into our all conquering line up, so not sure more early picks are what we need this year.

I'd be saving our 2025 R1 pick and going hard for NWM.

only problem with this scenario with freo is they are into LIAM BAKER.......
so three club trade with richmond, Fremantle and us... unless GC gets involve also.

lots of moving parts here

We can't fit our pick 8 from last year into our all conquering line up, so not sure more early picks are what we need this year.

I'd be saving our 2025 R1 pick and going hard for NWM.
No complaints from me, he’d slot in brilliantly across wing/half back for us. Would be 22 years old with 80 odd games under his belt by then. Worth every bit of a first rounder

Remove this Banner Ad

Resource 2024 AFL Draft discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back