Preview 2024 AFL Season, Round 17: St Kilda saints v Sydney Swans, Sunday 7th of July 3:20pm AEST, Marvel Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

It won't happans but I would love to see Pou, Owens and Windy spend at least 10 mins together on the ball. Owens to Warner, Windy to Goulden and Pou to Heeny.

I suspect that TJ did the ol cut and paste job.

Impressive !!!!!!!!

:p:p
CoMpUtEr LiTeRaCy
Homer Simpson Lol GIF by Demic

dejavu all over again,

1991 saints lose to geelong,essendon lose to melbourne in elim finals,saints by far the better team

1992 saints win a final,lose with toss of coin in next final,bombers dont make finals

1993 bombers flag

1997 saints beat bombers at mcg,james hird on camera vs saints sobbing with foot fractures,saints lose gf,bombers nowhere

1998 saints lose a final by a point,then get knocked out in straight sets,like 1997 bombers dont make finals

2000 bombers win flag

2023 saints meet swans at scg with both teams playing for their season,saints win a hard fought game,both teams make finals,lose elim finals

2024 saints fuxxed,swans premiership favourites

how the hell is it that other teams can progress,but we never can?
The Swans are smarter, better run club, get the most out of their players and don't go for quick fix solutions. Their players play for the coach and you can see it in their body language- a real contrast to us, where our captain looks pis&ed off most of the time this season, and players as a group seemed to have slowed down- or they're just not trying hard enough.

That's because in Australia a vest is a jacket and a wifebeater or tanktop is a vest - I think?

I think we were taking the piss out of you. A vest is any jacket without sleeves and a wifebeater is a singlet. You pommies would call a vest a lubbly-dubbly feral-pest or something while doing a jig with your chimney-sweeper broom and a coal dusted face.

dejavu all over again,

1991 saints lose to geelong,essendon lose to melbourne in elim finals,saints by far the better team

1992 saints win a final,lose with toss of coin in next final,bombers dont make finals

1993 bombers flag

1997 saints beat bombers at mcg,james hird on camera vs saints sobbing with foot fractures,saints lose gf,bombers nowhere

1998 saints lose a final by a point,then get knocked out in straight sets,like 1997 bombers dont make finals

2000 bombers win flag

2023 saints meet swans at scg with both teams playing for their season,saints win a hard fought game,both teams make finals,lose elim finals

2024 saints fuxxed,swans premiership favourites

how the hell is it that other teams can progress,but we never can?

Since 2011 we have stuffed up three consecutive rebuilds. They tend to get rid of the bulk of players from each era and the mature players left have never know success and have learned bad habits.

We weren't interested in moving forward on field under Finnis either. They must have known that Richo and Trout were absolutely terrible but kept them employed because they asked for nothing and were cheap. There was barely a footy department and the people we did have were terrible. We saved money to pay down debt.

Part of it was that GT and Lyon were one man autocrats that were across everything. Richo and Ratts were match day coaches that trusted their staff. Without someone to direct the show the club just floundered.

Training report:
Guys kicked the ball around a bit wearing different coloured vests, some handballed a little.
Defenders were speaking to Boris, quick transition game being implemented with said kicks and handballs.
Some players are faster than others, and some are more skilful, but gee whiz, the boys try hard to be footballers.
Through the middle the middle guys did middle things, all of them attempting to get the ball accurately into the forward line.
Sometimes it worked.
Most of the time it didn't.
Goddard was caught scratching his balls.
The forward line all stood like statues hoping the mids would hit them up. No leading patterns, no movement at all...eventually Sharman kicked a goal by accident but there wasn't much celebration.
Harvey, was perhaps vocal... it's hard to tell with him.
Lyon was cuddling folk...because that's who he is now.
it didn't look good to be honest.
Eventually the vests were returned to their appropriate areas.
That was the main win of the day.

Sent from Ireland, not on an i-phone.
That's the best post i have seen in weeks

I think we were taking the piss out of you. A vest is any jacket without sleeves and a wifebeater is a singlet. You pommies would call a vest a lubbly-dubbly feral-pest or something while doing a jig with your chimney-sweeper broom and a coal dusted face.
I say ole' chap, me wife just came a cropper due to me singlet, she done call me jacket, a vest she done...now I'm orf to the rubba dub dub for me pint o' larger and a fish suppa. Two bob 'n a shilling it'll cost me.

dom sweep GIF

Somebody put up a comparison between Max and Hawkins at the same age.

Can’t remember who, or which thread, but please, if you see this post, you were the poster or anyone else knows, please will you post it again for me.
Having a discussion with my Pies b-in-law who loves taking digs at us and I need some evidence. ( He’s a lawyer 🙄)
Criminal lawyer no doubt…

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Since 2011 we have stuffed up three consecutive rebuilds. They tend to get rid of the bulk of players from each era and the mature players left have never know success and have learned bad habits.

We weren't interested in moving forward on field under Finnis either. They must have known that Richo and Trout were absolutely terrible but kept them employed because they asked for nothing and were cheap. There was barely a footy department and the people we did have were terrible. We saved money to pay down debt.

Part of it was that GT and Lyon were one man autocrats that were across everything. Richo and Ratts were match day coaches that trusted their staff. Without someone to direct the show the club just floundered.

Finnis did some good at our club, but an enduring feature of his legacy is abandoning our promised reserves team in favour of funding a women's team. Some may think differently, but I don't think that our men's AFL team ever should have been affected in any detrimental way by the club entering the AFLW league.

This is just one feature of our failed rebuilds. A huge factor was that we bottomed out at the worst possible time, with expansion teams taking most of the top end talent when we were at our lowest. Then we kicked out a bunch of talented senior leaders to get mediocre draft picks in compromised drafts.

Then we had idiots in charge who picked a plodding undersized full forward with diabetes instead of a generational goal kicking mid talent. Then we had an admin guy overrule our head recruiter and take an injury prone FF with poor goal kicking over a gun midfielder at pick 4.

We're an organisation with a history of terrible decision making for most of our 150+ years. I think there are some competent people in place at the moment but I also think that Lyon has booted every other influential voice outside of Basset and he may be out of touch with the modern game.

I don't see a quick turnaround happening. But then I didn't see it happening at the end of 2008 either...so I'd like to say that it might all turn around but in 2008 we had a legendary list of players learning a new game plan that the AFL had never seen.

Finnis did some good at our club, but an enduring feature of his legacy is abandoning our promised reserves team in favour of funding a women's team. Some may think differently, but I don't think that our men's AFL team ever should have been affected in any detrimental way by the club entering the AFLW league.

This is just one feature of our failed rebuilds. A huge factor was that we bottomed out at the worst possible time, with expansion teams taking most of the top end talent when we were at our lowest. Then we kicked out a bunch of talented senior leaders to get mediocre draft picks in compromised drafts.

Then we had idiots in charge who picked a plodding undersized full forward with diabetes instead of a generational goal kicking mid talent. Then we had an admin guy overrule our head recruiter and take an injury prone FF with poor goal kicking over a gun midfielder at pick 4.

We're an organisation with a history of terrible decision making for most of our 150+ years. I think there are some competent people in place at the moment but I also think that Lyon has booted every other influential voice outside of Basset and he may be out of touch with the modern game.

I don't see a quick turnaround happening. But then I didn't see it happening at the end of 2008 either...so I'd like to say that it might all turn around but in 2008 we had a legendary list of players learning a new game plan that the AFL had never seen.
From Round 12, 2016 to Round 15, 2017 we played 26 games for 16 wins!!
Not bad at all.
High water for the Richo regime!
Something must have been going right!

My one wish for the rest of the year is to see the emergence of Pou as an AFL mid.

To see that we already have the piece we can build our future midfield around would be game-changing. Watching a couple of North games recently, they still look woeful but you can see in Wardlaw they have a crucial piece of the future. We need that. Hopefully, we already have that.

If Pou can become the player we all hope, he could be so damaging.

So who do the track watchers think will come in this week? And where will the play. Membrey back in? Need some forward experience. Sharman will play surely. Pou back in. Ross likes Seb. Back in?
Membrey is the best fwd who didn't play on the weekend but I dont think he's tall enough to play as the number 1 so if he does come in, we likely need someone else as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back