Autopsy 2024 AFL Season Round 17 vs Sydney Swans

Remove this Banner Ad

Is Nas now one of the most reliable players in the team? Another 28 touches and now he's averaging more than 26 for the year. Wins one-on-ones for fun, bursts out of the backline without them laying a hand on him, hits targets like it's going out of style. Is always still running hard deep in the last quarter. Love this guy, wouldn't swap him for anyone.
Untouchable, and years away from peaking. Sign him up for 6 years.

Hunter is an enigma. He was good in the first half particularly. He's got limitations but he does have a real creative streak.

Snags had a big game. Reminded me of the best of Papley today.
Need him to model his game around Neale. Will never be as good as him, but a clearance winning machine would be great to support Steele. The diving handball at centre bounce to Pou in the 1st qtr I think it was gave me massive Neale vibes

The problem with St Kilda was that for many years we were drafting poorly AND trading in poorly. We did neither well

Recently we seem to be much improved in both aspects.

True. Although it is worth remembering that at the time, most of our trades and drafts were lauded as huge successes, I certainly thought they were - aside from WTF moments that seemed wrong at the time and we initially gave them benefit of doubt like drafting McCartin and Allison, trading for Tom Lee and a few others.

These latest guys are still too new to really find fault with.

Good side aren't shedding their good players. Often a side like Geelong let ordinary players go for picks who are desirable because they are from a good system. If you have a better younger kid coming through and have surplus sometimes it's smart business to let a few go. If you don't it's pushing yourself backwards and usually costs more time, money and picks to replace.

Taylor Adams
Jacob Hopper
Tim Taranto
Allir Allir
Jordan Dawson
Blake Acres (Freo)
Adam Treloar
Dan McStay
Jeremy Cameron

Probably more

At the start of the year I thought the midfield was not as bad as some were saying. However, I was basing that off Pou and Owens transitioning into mid roles. That hasn't happened and we lost Crouch.

A midfield next year of Steele, Pou, Owens, Windhager and hopefully Crouch is not bad. Throw Henry and Sincs in as pinch hitters it is actually potentially very good.

The lack of development from Owens and Pou as mids this year has been the biggest disappointment of the season for me. Pou is now showing he can do it.

Owens has been given no opportunity at all to develop as a proper mid. Honestly have NFI why. It's blatantly obvious he is the missing inside bull we need.
From the outside it seems to me that Ross and or our development staff are allowing things to happen organically. We've all moaned that player X should be doing this or that, but after a while it ends up happening.

We shouldn't be bottom 6. Injury and possibly career ending one to Crouch made life hard but that match showed a standard that we should be able to achieve. You always need to be adding talent to bridge gaps but there is no way we should be sitting below a lot of sides at the moment.

To me the inside mid brigade needs strengthening for both quality and quantity and we need back up small forwards who can play when Butler or Higgins go down.

We aren't top 4 but we should be sitting in somewhere between 6th and 12th range. A down year gives an opportunity to get hold of a couple of good kids but it shouldn't be an accepted standard.

We are a young side but that youth is a bonus because if you pick well you get quick improvement once the development gets put into them. Sydney have become a side in a similar range to us to flag favourites because of Grundy and rapid growth in Heeney, Gulden and the Chad. Less so from guys like McDonald.
It’s not about are we bottom 6 or 7-12
The challenge is the windy fluctuations
That’s due to a lack of talent able to consistently deliver at top 4 levels
Had a day yesterday where our mids forward of centre won contest
Joey on First Crack noted we are No 1 on AFL for scores from the back half
18th for scores from front half and front half contests
Against Swans ….47 points from front half contests /turnovers and only 5 scores from D50
Point is: that midfield could break even on their day out ….that simply won’t happen consistently enough
So on “our day” yeah we are better than bottom 6
On those …..other days we are absolutely bottom 4/6
Hit draft keep building talent

Taylor Adams
Jacob Hopper
Tim Taranto
Allir Allir
Jordan Dawson
Blake Acres (Freo)
Adam Treloar
Dan McStay
Jeremy Cameron

Probably more

GWS are pretty much the opposite to a normal club. Adam’s has been an overall GOP that never met the pay he got. Cameron and Treloar are probably the best of them. Dawson hadn’t peaked and wanted home to SA. Sydney had plenty of players to sign so had to shed a few. Same with Freo who weren’t a good side. Taranto and Hopper had to go for cap relief too.

It’s not about are we bottom 6 or 7-12
The challenge is the windy fluctuations
That’s due to a lack of talent able to consistently deliver at top 4 levels
Had a day yesterday where our mids forward of centre won contest
Joey on First Crack noted we are No 1 on AFL for scores from the back half
18th for scores from front half and front half contests
Against Swans ….47 points from front half contests /turnovers and only 5 scores from D50
Point is: that midfield could break even on their day out ….that simply won’t happen consistently enough
So on “our day” yeah we are better than bottom 6
On those …..other days we are absolutely bottom 4/6
Hit draft keep building talent
We all know we need mids. Just disagree on culling Battle to get them. We need quality and depth. Some will come from our current list. Hopefully draft another couple and trade in some cover for now.

We all know we need mids. Just disagree on culling Battle to get them. We need quality and depth. Some will come from our current list. Hopefully draft another couple and trade in some cover for now.

I could swear this has been the same comment on rinse and repeat for some time - the club are not culling Battle, if he wants to stay, he will stay.

Byrne's is one of those limited guys that will do everything and anything to get the best out of himself, and provide a contribution.
Seb Ross was the same...and made an AA shortlist and had two B&F's because of it
Hard to knock the guys that make the effort to get the best out of their talents.
Just watched the replay.
Byrnes did some very, very good things and nailed quite a few pinpoint kicks. His pressure also very good.
Dont think he’s getting dropped anytime soon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Around the 50 not too close to goal. Maybe ruck a bit too.
Against Collingwood he was very good as the outlet mark on the wing. Hos contested marking there is great. He also is a pretty good field kick.

Is that hashtag paying homage to the Filths cheer squad?

But seriously, can our crowd please stop doing the Mason Wood chant. Every time I hear it I just think of the filth, obviously, but it feels a bit try hard - I for one, do not want to be associated with anything to do with that club.
Not even the 1966 grand final?

speaking of jimmy

just when i think he will slow down each year he just keeps putting in and is constantly solid

has to be signed and be a one club player for us
I agree, and such a great story. The Richo years are best forgotten but one "significantly pleasing" thing that happened round then was the club helping out Jimmy's family when their home burnt down in the bushfires in the first few years of his AFL career. That act bought his unwavering loyalty like Don Corleone adopting the little orphan who became his consigliere Tom Hagan.

Just watched the replay.
Byrnes did some very, very good things and nailed quite a few pinpoint kicks. His pressure also very good.
Dont think he’s getting dropped anytime soon.
I hope not. I've always had a soft spot for Ronnie, I know he has some bad moments, but I think he tries his damnedest every game...and he works bloody hard with the tools he has. He's a good soldier to have in the team, and is at the very least solid depth.
I certainly wouldn't be cutting him that's for sure.

I forgot about it because his 2 goals were early, but 5 goals in 2 weeks for Marshall is great (he had only kicked 2 for the year before that). It should have been one more as well, if not for that ridiculous Milne bounce. I didn't rate him as a forward before last weeks game, but he has proven me wrong. I would like to see Heath come in so Marshall can spend a bit more time forward. Membrey tried hard today, but I don't think Heath would have done any worse than he did.
Heath isn’t ready. He’ll get a chance sometime next year.

Apart from the pressure of that came, our link up work was damn impressive. We were getting the ball forward TO players.
We were actually picking out targets and hitting them.
Webster, Nasiah, Wilkie, Battle, Sinclair, Ari , all of them were spotting up a player and doing a good job of getting it to them most of the time.

Bonner might struggle. Ross might struggle. It might be why Garcia wasn't picked for the team.
What about Stocker? Do we bring him in and who makes way for him? Or do we keep him cooking in the VFL?

What about Stocker? Do we bring him in and who makes way for him? Or do we keep him cooking in the VFL?
Stocker - who I genuinely like as a player - just seems a bit off the boil this year compared to last...not by much, but just enough for him to stay in the VFL. His position is covered at the moment, and
the current formula seems to work. We should keep it going for as long as it holds up, or someone gets injured.

I’ve gone from last week thinking we’ll struggle to win more than two games to finish the season.

Now I look at the fixture and think we are a chance in all of them.
Last round, Carlton needs to beat us to make top 4.

Pop Corn GIF by WWE

Against Collingwood he was very good as the outlet mark on the wing. Hos contested marking there is great. He also is a pretty good field kick.
That’s where he’s best suited imo. Playing chf working up to those contests and burning his man ducking back. The only question I have is we all know about his pace but how’s his endurance ?.

I’d like to see him slim down over the offseason and go back into the midfield.

We don’t really need him in defence and it seems a shame to waste a mid when we’re crying out for them. It’s been an unusual path for him but now he’s settled at the saints I’d love to see him have a huge preseason.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back