2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

No they're not. We are arguing semantics. Hyperbole is rife and I'm trying to temper it.
Don't see hyperbole, especially this draft, no Harley Reid, Marcus Bontempelli, Chris Judd etc in this, but there are some very good young mids, Smillie, Smith, Draper, etc.
You must have a definition of star. I reckon we have the potential of four stars in this team.
This is opposed to champions. In my opinion I have seen 3 in Saints colours since I moved to Melbourne in 88.
Lockett
Harvey
Reiwoldt.
Plenty of stars in that time, Loewe, Burke, Winmar, Lenny, Dal, Joey, Kosi, Steven etc.

They are stars. Do we have a budding champion? Can't see one but they are like hens teeth.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yeah, no question Lachie Neale is a star of the game. Agree he is not a star in the celebrity sense but easily in top 5 players playing at the moment.

Never argued otherwise. He's absolutely an elite level player but I don't regard him as a star. Don't even know if N Daicos is yet but probably the heir apparent for the next crop coming through and right on that border.

I don't think he quite transcends the sport yet which is where I have the "stars". At the ned of the day it's semantics. I think when they say "Saints Star Jimmy Webster suspended" it makes them sound like ****ing idiots. He's a good player but star is a very exclusive club as far as I'm concerned.

Players get called all kind of superlatives these days....gun, star, superstar, legend and half the time they are barely even top 10 in their side . The same people probably want participation awards for kids that finish last.

What a silly thing to say.

Us idiots are only calling you out for constantly contradicting yourself šŸ™ƒšŸ˜‚

I don't contradict myself, you idiots are just too thick to comprehend my magnificence.

Never argued otherwise. He's absolutely an elite level player but I don't regard him as a star. Don't even know if N Daicos is yet but probably the heir apparent for the next crop coming through and right on that border.

I don't think he quite transcends the sport yet which is where I have the "stars". At the ned of the day it's semantics. I think when they say "Saints Star Jimmy Webster suspended" it makes them sound like ****ing idiots. He's a good player but star is a very exclusive club as far as I'm concerned.

Players get called all kind of superlatives these days....gun, star, superstar, legend and half the time they are barely even top 10 in their side . The same people probably want participation awards for kids that finish last.

I think if you use a very narrow definition of the word star - that is, generational player that transcends the sport - you are probably right. But if use the normal understanding of the "star" addendum, as most here would understand it, ......then I think that is where people are questioning your judgement. To me, people would understand your POV if you used "generational" or "marquee" because I think that is what you are meaning.

And on that note I think you are right. Saints have not had a marquee player since Roo. It would be great if another one came along.

I don't contradict myself, you idiots are just too thick to comprehend my magnificence.
scooting peter griffin GIF by Family Guy

Yes Peter, I mean Gringo.

They are stars. Do we have a budding champion? Can't see one but they are like hens teeth.

Was hoping King might fit the bill but that is starting to look remote. Could be a long wait. Having said that, not sure you need a Lockett. I reckon if you build around a solid back half and 3+ A graders in the middle you can be a chance. Great mids can make pretty ordinary forwards look good.

Was hoping King might fit the bill but that is starting to look remote. Could be a long wait. Having said that, not sure you need a Lockett. I reckon if you build around a solid back half and 3+ A graders in the middle you can be a chance. Great mids can make pretty ordinary forwards look good.

Nas looking like the best player on the list in the near future but not sure HBs get the respect that they deserve.

There's an old saying that goes:

Self-praise is no recommendation........

I think there's something in that for all of us.... :think:

Don't see hyperbole, especially this draft, no Harley Reid, Marcus Bontempelli, Chris Judd etc in this, but there are some very good young mids, Smillie, Smith, Draper, etc.
You must have a definition of star. I reckon we have the potential of four stars in this team.
This is opposed to champions. In my opinion I have seen 3 in Saints colours since I moved to Melbourne in 88.
Lockett
Harvey
Reiwoldt.
Plenty of stars in that time, Loewe, Burke, Winmar, Lenny, Dal, Joey, Kosi, Steven etc.

I started a bit earlier than you I would add Darrel Baldock and Ian stewart to that list of champions but thats it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Langford looks a likely type, maybe it's the 22 but I get Wilson vibes...similar physique, has a crack and runs hard.

More inside and has a good pair of hands so it's a yes from me.

Smith, Smillie FOS and Trainor go most likely first 4 Draper to Ade seems obvious and then us with maybe 2 picks Langford and a slim chance of possibly one of first 4 if that eventuates.

Who knows what Freo and GCS do but would love to move down a spot and pick up another 2nd rounder as comp.

Be an interesting draft that we will look back in years to come and wonder who were the heroes and who were the zeros of the players and the recruiters that chose them.

On SM-S916B using BigFooty.com mobile app

SteeleSaints Twomey saying Jaggas pick 1 claim is ā€œrisingā€

I didnt think Richmond would bother exposing him at VFL otherwise, but both North & Richmond are playing for the spoon this weekend. What do North do if they get the No 1 pick again?

A quick question - How do you tag others in your posts?

I didnt think Richmond would bother exposing him at VFL otherwise, but both North & Richmond are playing for the spoon this weekend. What do North do if they get the No 1 pick again?

I still think itā€™s a reach if Richmond do go down that path. But hey - each to their own.

If north get 1? Dunno, trade down?

I still think itā€™s a reach if Richmond do go down that path. But hey - each to their own.

If north get 1? Dunno, trade down?

Did you see my question re tags...

For me its about performing at the higher levels and Jagga has shown that in spades. Its not to suggest others wont be as good but its hard to go past kids with his runs on the board.

Did you see my question re tags...

For me itā€™s about performing at the higher levels and Jagga has shown that in spades. Itā€™s not to suggest others wont be as good but its hard to go past kids with his runs on the board.
Type @ with no spaces and start typing the name.

Yeah and my point of view was more about the prospect not so much about the immediate performance and I still think thatā€™s how it will play out. Itā€™s about translating to the elite game and size generally trumps.

But letā€™s see.

Full highlights of the fantastic Champs run by Metro MVP Murphy Reid.

I reckon he looks great. How bad was his testing? That always seems to be the knock on him. Every time you watch him he's doing eye catching stuff, great user and vision. On pure talent he should be top 4 IMO.

Full highlights of the fantastic Champs run by Metro MVP Murphy Reid.

I reckon he looks great. How bad was his testing? That always seems to be the knock on him. Every time you watch him he's doing eye catching stuff, great user and vision. On pure talent he should be top 4 IMO.
I feel like he has real gun or bust potential.

Proper scares me if we took him. The list of mids we have all spoken about give me some comfort as I know what they look like being at AFL level - if they make it.

Murphy Reid - is he a half back? Half forward?Wing? Onballer?

I just keep getting cold sweats itā€™s Hunter Clark again.

put an @ symbol then the name no spaces eg SteeleSaints

I feel like he has real gun or bust potential.

Proper scares me if we took him. The list of mids we have all spoken about give me some comfort as I know what they look like being at AFL level - if they make it.

Murphy Reid - is he a half back? Half forward?Wing? Onballer?

I just keep getting cold sweats itā€™s Hunter Clark again.

It's the testing that scares me off. HC never looked that smart with his vision and creativity but lack of pace is a real negative for any modern player. That said he never looked like he was slow playing in the Champs or maybe he's learnt to work around it, he seems to hit the ball moving at pace and accelerates away.

His ball use and smarts are potential elite looking. I feel more confident that skilled guys will usually find a way. I think he's a sort of Seb Ross style first receiver mid ideally.

I feel a bit boom bust about Smilie and Lalor too. They are either absolute guns or absolute spuds.

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back