2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

So every rebuild that has been done the right way has been done by drafting in a bulk of your talent and then topping up to fill holes. There was no precedence for doing it the way we did it for good reason.

Of course we needed list repair because we'd blown the previous 2 rebuilds by doing dumb shit. At the point guys like Stuv, Roberton etc were leaving it was time to take our hit and stay down for a few seasons while we built a core through drafting.

List management isn't difficult or mystical. You need to know where you're at in the cycle and add talent to suit that point and set up for the future.

You're an accountant. It's like borrowing $200k for a new ute a year before you retire from you plumbing business otherwise. It's just stupidity to think that you can subvert the system and do it all backwards.

We were always trying to cheat the timeline and paying the price. Keeping a recruiter that was an absolute liability and having never addressed serious development staff helped cap off one of the club's worst administration periods since the AFL era.
the biggest issue was "the road to 2018".

they butchered it that hard, that if we did bottom out after 2020, the supporters would have cried for an absolute spill of red wedding proportions.

On SM-A156E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Assume they’ll change the value of the picks like Ross spoke about in his presser the other week. So it Hoffman and Cole are top 40 players we either need to split 25 or gain some third round picks?

Also, what does our ideal tall forward setup look like next year? I love the look of Jobe Shanahan who Twomey had at 27.

Trading out of one draft 5 years ago has had very little influence on our list issues.

We have a lack of guys in their mid to late 20's because of how bad our drafting (& our typical shitty luck) was when we actually were focusing mainly on the draft.
100% correct W2L
Dunny, GOAT, Dmac, Longy, Paddy, Hugh and Billings, Coff, Clav and Austin Logan.
Not forgetting Richo too.

2019 and 2020 were garbage drafts.

2018 - King, Wilkie
2019 - Byrnes / Hill, Doogs, Butts
2020 - Snags, Crouch
2021 MSD - Coops, Moose
2021- Nas, Chito, Windy
2022 - Pou, Heeler, Hotts, JVE
2023 - Wilson, Lance, Hastie, Hugo, Ari / Henry / Dow

And where are the players we ditched?
Nowhere.

If we couldn’t have picked Phillipou because we got Cam Mackenzie. I don’t care about missing him. Phillipou is going to be one of the best players in the competition. I will die on that hill!

If we do end up with two picks in the top 10. I think this is a great draft to have them. There is a lot up in the air about the order of the draft. I think it is a great opportunity to snagged some great players outside of the top 3. We have one of the best recruiters, let’s see what he can do.

I am excited to see what talent the club can produce through our nga program. We want players from the bayside area to play in our club. Well here is our golden ticket.

We have access to both Sandringham Dragons and Dandenong Stingrays, along with the Smjfl and feel. That is two elite TAC football programs and a lot of very good junior clubs that play in those leagues.

I am a bit confused though. Mac Andrews played for the Stingrays. Why was he in the Melbourne NGA?
I'll be dying on that hill next to you UU.

IMHO....the Pou will be a standout player in the comp in years to come.

His incredibly strong desire to be the best....and he has the ability..........you just don't get that "vibe" or verbal declaration from a huge amount of players.

Didn’t Twomey also mention Lennox Hoffman as a potential top 30 pick?

I saw they suggested that our two guys could go top 40 but I really doubt it. Cole is the better of the two and doubt either are inside 40. Both have had good plays but not been consistently high performing in the champs at least.

the biggest issue was "the road to 2018".

they butchered it that hard, that if we did bottom out after 2020, the supporters would have cried for an absolute spill of red wedding proportions.

On SM-A156E using BigFooty.com mobile app

That's how I read it too. They shat themselves and topped up to save face rather than making the hard call.

We drafted badly, sold players for nothing or delisted them and then couldn't replace them, over paid for ordinary or broken down players, let players go because our contracting had shit players on multi year deals and couldn't be released to free up spots etc.

It wasn't one thing but having the worst drafting in the league over a huge span of time is obviously the main issue but it wasn't just that. We had a terrible footy department that failed to maximise talent, poor planning, no vision etc.

Cody Anderson too. Got an injury during the champs and sat out the last game.

Anderson gives me serious Dunstan vibes.

Assume they’ll change the value of the picks like Ross spoke about in his presser the other week. So it Hoffman and Cole are top 40 players we either need to split 25 or gain some third round picks?

Also, what does our ideal tall forward setup look like next year? I love the look of Jobe Shanahan who Twomey had at 27.
Hofmann is not top 40. More a late pick around our 78. 45 for Cole probably enough. We'll get some more capital from trading the likes of Paton too

Sims is the tall I want - great mark overhead and can ruck as well. Shanahan will be gone before our 25 - Faull might still be available

Since this draft is so loaded with mids at the top end, do you think there's any chance we look at trading a future first for someone elses first this year and just try and go 3/3 top 10 picks on mids?
Yes. Gold Coast being the obvious but they already have close to enough later points to see them do ok.
It'll be a hot market and l think we'll struggle to compete but there's a lot to happen between then and now.

Anderson gives me serious Dunstan vibes.

Seems a bit more defensive than Dunstan. He's a later pick not a first rounder so not a huge risk. He was projecting top 20 earlier in the year but an average champs has drifted him out. I reckon Lalor's field kicking is as bad or worse.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hofmann is not top 40. More a late pick around our 78. 45 for Cole probably enough. We'll get some more capital from trading the likes of Paton too

Sims is the tall I want - great mark overhead and can ruck as well. Shanahan will be gone before our 25 - Faull might still be available

There is actually quite a lot of good tall players scattered through this draft.

There is actually quite a lot of good tall players scattered through this draft.
Yeah, I've done a full phantom draft and from the second round onward there's key forwards everywhere

Key defenders too, except there's less of them and despite not many being 1st round quality, they'll all be gone at once somewhere around the second to third round

I don't think they have announced all the changes just yet.

The final arrangements for F/S, Academy drafting (including concessions, draft pick restrictions, a rejigged F/S points system etc) won't be known until next month.
Wonder how much of this was due to Andrew Bassat?

Seems a bit more defensive than Dunstan. He's a later pick not a first rounder so not a huge risk. He was projecting top 20 earlier in the year but an average champs has drifted him out. I reckon Lalor's field kicking is as bad or worse.
Haynes more my vibe after the 1st round. I haven't bothered to look much this year but not seeing much "elite traits" out there in the lesser lights.

100% correct W2L
Dunny, GOAT, Dmac, Longy, Paddy, Hugh and Billings, Coff, Clav and Austin Logan.
Not forgetting Richo too.

2019 and 2020 were garbage drafts.

2018 - King, Wilkie
2019 - Byrnes / Hill, Doogs, Butts
2020 - Snags, Crouch
2021 MSD - Coops, Moose
2021- Nas, Chito, Windy
2022 - Pou, Heeler, Hotts, JVE
2023 - Wilson, Lance, Hastie, Hugo, Ari / Henry / Dow

And where are the players we ditched?
Nowhere.

2019?
With our original pick we could have got Serong.
If we stopped at the GWS trade we could have potentially got Sam Day and someone else...who probably would have been crap.
We passed up Bigoa to get Leo. Bigoa is still on a list.

Yeah, I've done a full phantom draft and from the second round onward there's key forwards everywhere

Key defenders too, except there's less of them and despite not many being 1st round quality, they'll all be gone at once somewhere around the second to third round

Armstrong will have pushed right up the ladder after last weekend. I think Twomey had him somewhere around 10 now. Seemed to kick a goal with every touch. Faull, Shanahan, the Whitlocks, Sims, Tauru, Mraz and Dodson all look likely to go in the top 30.

2019?
With our original pick we could have got Serong.
If we stopped at the GWS trade we could have potentially got Sam Day and someone else...who probably would have been crap.
We passed up Bigoa to get Leo. Bigoa is still on a list.

Will Day. We could have had Kosi Pickett and Day with the GWS picks. Apparently we were very keen on Weightman in that draft and interviewed him a couple of times. Probably would have taken Pickett over him and not needed him though.

Will Day is one of my favourite players. He's high hurt factor.

Serong or Haydn Young if we'd kept the original pick. Comben or Trent Rivers with our second rounder and keep Acres and we'd be miles ahead.

Armstrong will have pushed right up the ladder after last weekend. I think Twomey had him somewhere around 10 now. Seemed to kick a goal with every touch. Faull, Shanahan, the Whitlocks, Sims, Tauru, Mraz and Dodson all look likely to go in the top 30.
I have Armstrong going at 14. Faull the last of the key forward crop you listed gone at 32. Dodson falls to 37 just bc most clubs already have a young developing ruck

Will Day. We could have had Kosi Pickett and Day with the GWS picks. Apparently we were very keen on Weightman in that draft and interviewed him a couple of times. Probably would have taken Pickett over him and not needed him though.

Serong or Haydn Young if we'd kept the original pick. Comben or Trent Rivers with our second rounder and keep Acres and we'd be miles ahead.
How do you know that it all works out perfectly in this alternative world?

LOL don't know why i got Will's name wrong.

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back