2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

I wouldn't be surprised if Lindsay comes into our considerations. Especially if we have back to back picks. Hard runner, elite kick, looks like he doesn't shirk a contest. Question may be, is he a midfielder, or more of a distributor off a wing/half back

His Metro v country game must have raised his stocks but just don’t know how much. He looks very low risk but maybe less ceiling? He played a fantastic game.

From Reid? I reckon if he flops it’s more Hunter Clark style. Has skills and class but might get shown up for pace in the AFL.
It was more that it’s really hard to peg what position he will be an AFL level.

I think we all saw Clark as a mid or half back - comfortably, depending on his development.

Billings was meant to be a match winning half forward - who moved to a wing and accumulated plenty of ball but probably didn’t have a huge impact on the result.

Thats what terrifies me of potentially taking Reid.

Ah I misunderstood, thought you meant you thought I was implying it rather than saying it. Apologies mate
No worries, really enjoy your view on things, generally agree, sometimes not, however I like your input especially on this thread.

Reading this thread, it more and more feels there will be lots of people concerned with whom we select as the draft at the top end is so even.
We could get Draper and Smith which would be my optimum or we could left field it and have Trainor and Reid.
We get a Smillie, Reid, O'Sullivan, or a range of other likelies and there will be a number of unhappy campers.
Of course we won't know for years if they are any good or not.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

How has it addressed that, when it clearly does not? Your clearances are based on his attendance as both a ruck AND as a mid.

His clearances are inflated by when he plays ruck. Against a less mobile ruck as his focus is often ball winning he has been able to gain some clearances. When he has attended as a pure mid. match against mids he has not performed that well. Plus also our mid set up this year as a group has not been that flash.

Which is why I posted that to be developed as a mid the place to do it is at Sandi, as was done with Pou. Owens playing more as a mid at present in the seniors is unlikely to work well either for him, or his team mates.

I like Owens as a player. I am just not sure fulltime mid is the role that suits him best. Unfortunately as a HFF at present he is going through a concrete hands phase which with him he seems to have phases of.

Eventually I think he will play HHF with some runs through the middle as a mid.

The stat literally shows that he gets more center clearances than most of our list when put in the middle. Given the stat also includes CBAs as a starting mid, that in itself addresses your point which is he doesn’t go well when starting as a mid - if that was the case, he’d be much lower across centre clearance per CBAs (he’s been 4th for our squad two years running).

Wouldn’t it be more difficult to get a centre clearance as an undersized ruck? Either way, he’s getting throughput when chucked in there which counteracts the point you’re making.

I think we all saw Clark as a mid or half back - comfortably, depending on his development.

Billings was meant to be a match winning half forward - who moved to a wing and accumulated plenty of ball but probably didn’t have a huge impact on the result.

Reid looked very polished at Champs level. Was one of the best in the Metro v Country game. Even if he turns into a wingman is that so bad?
Wood and Hill are getting on and as Wilson, Pou, Wind, Chito and whoever we pick up @4 matures in the guts, he can play a wingers role.

Two notes I had from the Champs game.

Xavier Lindsay 18 possessions to H/T for Country looked very composed, had him outside I first selections but if he was there in the second round we should have a look.

Langford - big second half in the Champs game, took a huge grab for goal.

Really starting to think night 2 of the draft is going to throw up so really interesting sliders and will be the most interesting night of the draft.

Feel we need to invest in some for second rounders to grab so big bargains.

Reid looked very polished at Champs level. Was one of the best in the Metro v Country game. Even if he turns into a wingman is that so bad?
Wood and Hill are getting on and as Wilson, Pou, Wind, Chito and whoever we pick up @4 matures in the guts, he can play a wingers role.

Xavier Lindsay 18 possessions to H/T for Country looked very composed, had him outside I first selections but if he was there in the second round we should have a look.

Really starting to think night 2 of the draft is going to throw up so really interesting sliders and will be the most interesting night of the draft.

It’s just purely my own concern. Others might love Reid.

I just want to know what exactly it is we are drafting - which should hopefully be a genuine midfielder. That goes in the guts.

None of this hybrid shit. None of this, he will develop into an AFL level mid in time.

No worries, really enjoy your view on things, generally agree, sometimes not, however I like your input especially on this thread.

Reading this thread, it more and more feels there will be lots of people concerned with whom we select as the draft at the top end is so even.
We could get Draper and Smith which would be my optimum or we could left field it and have Trainor and Reid.
We get a Smillie, Reid, O'Sullivan, or a range of other likelies and there will be a number of unhappy campers.
Of course we won't know for years if they are any good or not.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
Unhappy campers who also coincidentally are unhappy because they're watched 8 mins of footage on YouTube.

32 and 1.3. Took the absolute piss
Jesus, he could have had 5 goals, missed 4 very gettable goals (although he was against a howling wind).

Gets to the drop of the ball in mids, and knows where it will be, doesn't automatically get drawn to it but can peel off for the receive.
Up forward can take a very good grab. Likely type.

It’s just purely my own concern. Others might love Reid.

I just want to know what exactly it is we are drafting - which should hopefully be a genuine midfielder. That goes in the guts.

None of this hybrid shit. None of this, he will develop into an AFL level mid in time.
understood, got that in 2017.

You need to stop relying on highlight packages (alone) and the media's assessement of these kids!

IMO Reid has much more of a transferrable midfield game to AFL than Smillie. Neither are quick, but Reid is very smart in close and can find space (Pendlebury esq) and sets up his team mates perfectly with his sublime skills. Smillie is a bash and crash type, he very rarely wins a clean stoppage break and just bangs it forward with scrubber kicks akin to Hunter Clark or Marshall's clearances. Likewise his clearances very rarely end up to a team mates advantage or scores.

There is no doubt Smillie can win plenty of the footy, but its what he does with it that is his major weakness IMO. He is a big body playing against kids, he doesnt have any finesse attempting to just bash his way through opposition. His kicking in general play is average, slow through the air and his handballing isn't that creative. I just dont see how his tools translate to a dominant stoppage mid worthy of a top 6 pick. Reid is much more a play maker and I believe his disposal efficiency out of clearance would greatly exceed that of Smillie.

Smillie is touted as a potentially similiar player to Patrick Cripps, I see him more closer to Daniel Curtin from last years draft. A tall who can play through the midfield but at AFL level I question his potential.

Its also worth considering Sydney's list and midfield build given that we now have Dalrymple as our Head Recruiter. They are are all medium to small sized mids with burst speed and kicking skills. Parker is the exception but he was there a long time before Dalrymple. If we look at that model then Draper would most likely be Dalrymples choice. And before you respond Smillie is nothing like Bontempelli.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Currently, I think we sit in a really interesting position when it comes to the draft board.

With very little separating the talent at the top, we will likely have the pick of the 'original' top talent, such as FOS, Smilie, Smith etc, and maybe one of the massive bolters (Langford).

Saying that, every draft is like this. There are always bolters and prospects that drop away. Oliver came from the clouds to go at pick four in his draft year, as did the Bont.

The fortunate thing is that, apart from Trainor, the players we are discussing are mids that all offer something a bit different. Do the Roos take Trainor? Do the Tiges take Smith at pick one cause he is right under their nose? Do the Eagles throw the towel in and finish bottom and shack up the draft order?

Also, the main part regarding our strategy, is does Battle stay? Everything suggests he's going, but what if he stays? That change our strategy massively. Having two early picks allows us to split one etc.

Overall, we will have absolutely no idea about this draft until the season is said and done. Will be good to keep an eye on the crop and see what changes over the backend of the season.

You need to stop relying on highlight packages (alone) and the media's assessement of these kids!

IMO Reid has much more of a transferrable midfield game to AFL than Smillie. Neither are quick, but Reid is very smart in close and can find space (Pendlebury esq) and sets up his team mates perfectly with his sublime skills. Smillie is a bash and crash type, he very rarely wins a clean stoppage break and just bangs it forward with scrubber kicks akin to Hunter Clark or Marshall's clearances. Likewise his clearances very rarely end up to a team mates advantage or scores.

There is no doubt Smillie can win plenty of the footy, but its what he does with it that is his major weakness IMO. He is a big body playing against kids, he doesnt have any finesse attempting to just bash his way through opposition. His kicking in general play is average, slow through the air and his handballing isn't that creative. I just dont see how his tools translate to a dominant stoppage mid worthy of a top 6 pick. Reid is much more a play maker and I believe his disposal efficiency out of clearance would greatly exceed that of Smillie.

Smillie is touted as a potentially similiar to Patrick Cripps, I see him more closer to Daniel Curtin from last years draft. A tall who can play through the midfield but at AFL level I question his potential.

Its think its also worth considering Sydney's list and midfield build given that we now have Dalrymple as our Head Recruiter. They are are all medium to small sized mids with burst speed and kicking skills. Parker is the exception but he was there a long time before Dalrymple. If we look at that model then Draper would most likely be Dalrymples choice.
If you don't mind me asking, how are you forming your opinions if it's not just highlights packages and what you're reading in the media?

Smillie is touted as a potentially similiar player to Patrick Cripps, I see him more closer to Daniel Curtin from last years draft. A tall who can play through the midfield but at AFL level I question his potential.

Its also worth considering Sydney's list and midfield build given that we now have Dalrymple as our Head Recruiter. They are are all medium to small sized mids with burst speed and kicking skills. Parker is the exception but he was there a long time before Dalrymple. If we look at that model then Draper would most likely be Dalrymples choice. And before you respond Smillie is nothing like Bontempelli.
I watched all the champ games and watched a few of the Coates league games.

I’m pretty comfortable of my opinion.

You have yours.

You would probably be in the minority of people who think Smillie might not have the potential to play midfield at AFL level.

I think Reid is great with ball in hand. But lacks the speed or has the size to be a dominant afl level mid.

Jagga accumulates at an elite level and is cat like with his movements - which I think translates and why I think he will be a good afl mid.

Smillie has the size and power. He is scoreboard damaging.

He is averaging 26.8 disposals 4 tackles 1.4 goals per game 2 R50 4 I50 per game at Coates level.

He was strong against the doggies VFL side earlier this season.

It’s wild you are writing him off.

stavro#4 Given the fact Battle has not signed, I think he's gone, if we had 2 back to back picks, who would you choose for both of our picks?​

My minds changed multiple times.

As of today..

My dream would be Jagga Smith and Harvey Langford.

2 in the guts mids. Both wildly different. Both impact games in different ways.

I’ve been on and off the Draper and Lalor trains. It’s not that I don’t like them. I just love what I’m seeing more from the above 2.

If we are ok with taking a midfielder that could worse scenario become a winger, then I'd take Langford over Reid any day for the height, strength, run and kicking

Reid's lack of speed & strength is going to be a real inhibiting factor in his development at AFL level in the modern game imo - I don't think we need another slow midfielder even though he has really good skills. It's the exact same scenario as Hunter Clark and ironically could be taken with the exact same pick @ 7. Cal Twomey is on record saying Reid will probably start his AFL career playing as a half back flanker, which is also exactly what Clark did

If we are ok with taking a midfielder that could worse scenario become a winger, then I'd take Langford over Reid any day for the height, strength, run and kicking

Reid's lack of speed & strength is going to be a real inhibiting factor in his development at AFL level in the modern game imo - I don't think we need another slow midfielder even though he has really good skills. It's the exact same scenario as Hunter Clark and ironically could be taken with the exact same pick @ 7. Cal Twomey is on record saying Reid will probably start his AFL career playing as a half back flanker, which is also exactly what Clark did
This perfectly captures how I feel about Reid

Yeah I agree, I was directly answering stav's post re Reid.

Langford from what I have seen looks like more of a fit. Seems a more natural midfielder who can play up forward and is damaging. At 190 cm moves well. Could work as a wingman as well.

if I could answer the question asked of stav if we have four and five.

I think from what I have read today and without seeing Draper, maybe Smith and Langford, but it still depends. If Draper is there can we bluff something out of Adelaide like an extra second to move up two picks? If Smith is gone, I would like Smillie, but he is 194 cm and Langford is 190 cm so would that affect the second pick?

My thoughts change constantly.

Pretty sure Langford tested quite a bit slower (20m sprint and agility tests) than Murphy Reid in preseason.

Pretty sure Langford tested quite a bit slower (20m sprint and agility tests) than Murphy Reid in preseason.
They are also wildly differently sized players.

Not sure that’s a great comparison point.

Langford will be able to play as an inside outside mid or atleast projects to.

There are serious questions about what Reid is at AFL level and he could be a half back flanker.

I watched all the champ games and watched a few of the Coates league games.
I’m pretty comfortable of my opinion.
You have yours.
You would probably be in the minority of people who think Smillie might not have the potential to play midfield at AFL level.
I think Reid is great with ball in hand. But lacks the speed or has the size to be a dominant afl level mid.
Jagga accumulates at an elite level and is cat like with his movements - which I think translates and why I think he will be a good afl mid.
Smillie has the size and power. He is scoreboard damaging.
He is averaging 26.8 disposals 4 tackles 1.4 goals per game 2 R50 4 I50 per game at Coates level.
He was strong against the doggies VFL side earlier this season.
It’s wild you are writing him off.

Im not writing him off I just dont rate him as high as others. Reid is no slower than Smillie and he could get 20 disposals a game and they would be a lot more effective than Smillie's 30. So you think my not rating Smillie as high as others makes me an outlier. I guess that just strengthens my thoughts that your opinions come from others.

The modern game elite midfielders are about players who can extract the ball from stoppages, burst out facing towards goals and hit up a team mate. I just dont see Smillie with those midfield traits. The midfielders I rate ahead of Smillie are - Draper, Smith, Langford, O'Sullivan, Reid, Lindsay and possibly Lalor. He may get taken earlier but we wont know who is correct for years, so our discussion is just a dick measuring contest really.

Im not writing him off I just dont rate him as high as others. Reid is no slower than Smillie and he could get 20 disposals a game and they would be a lot more effective than Smillie's 30. So you think my not rating Smillie as high as others makes me an outlier. I guess that just strengthens my thoughts that your opinions come from others.

The modern game elite midfielders are about players who can extract the ball from stoppages, burst out facing towards goals and hit up a team mate. I just dont see Smillie with those midfield traits. The midfielders I rate ahead of Smillie are - Draper, Smith, Langford, O'Sullivan, Reid and possibly Lalor. He may get taken earlier but we wont know who is correct for years, so our discussion is just a dick measuring contest really.
My thoughts are exactly what I see.

A 194cm midfielder - who hits the scoreboard and has the positional flexibility to play across the ground is very unique.

I can see why that makes him the favourite to be pick 1.

Reid might have a highly skilled kick. But Smillie has the bigger ceiling purely because of those physical attributes. He is the prototype AFL midfielder in 2024.

That’s why you are failing to grasp.

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back