2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

It's a hard one, because I feel like another year of development would be beneficial for Hotton. However, list spots are going to be at a premium as we continue to revamp the list on the fly.

Out of the 'in trouble' senior midfielders (Crouch, Ross and Jones), the latter is the most likely to survive. But I think the last fortnight needs to be taken with a pinch of salt. If Jones stays, its a one-year deal on absolute peanuts.

Not sure about that, we have about 18 uncontracted players and with Crouch and Ross almost done, having a midfielder who has only played about 15-18 games for us in two years still on the roster may be a wise move.

Agree on Jones. I would not take Jones form with a pinch of salt though. It is what I expected of him when he was recruited. He needs to stay injury free for the remainer of the year though. If so I think he will be on the list next year.

Not sure about that, we have about 18 uncontracted players and with Crouch and Ross almost done, having a midfielder who has only played about 15-18 games for us in two years still on the roster may be a wise move.

Agree on Jones. I would not take Jones form with a pinch of salt though. It is what I expected of him when he was recruited. He needs to stay injury free for the remainer of the year though. If so I think he will be on the list next year.
Ross probably has Jones covered from a leadership perspective but Jones has him well covered from an on-field impact perspective. They seem to have simplified Jones role and given him clear guardrails. I.e. prioritise the releasing handball and if forced to kick, hit up short options. Do not try to run and take it on and don’t try for 55m passes

Berry's recent shift into the midfield has given draft watchers a lot to think about. He's not a prolific clearance winner at this stage, but his elite evasive skills allow him to navigate traffic from inside to out and convert stoppage wins by his team into damaging possessions. He still splits his time between midfield and his old forward role, and remains one of the most damaging players in this years pool inside the forward 50.

he's pretty handy as a forward anyway. Midfield is a bonus I guess. He's another in that huge pool of even talent, could go anywhere from about 12th to 30th.

If we can’t get Draper, I’d love Travaglia with one of our picks. Starting to play midfield at CTL level. Looked awesome in the Champs final.

Travaglia is a real high upside type. He moves beautifully, taking a HBF hoping for a mid is always dangerous but if he has a bit of a run on ball he'd be a nice pick up. Probably goes just outside of where our picks sit though.

If FOS has a big finish to the season I can see why, he'd fit our midfield perfectly

Genuinely could fall through to us still anyway. If Jagga goes at one there is every chance that he could slide through. North would be very keen to get hold of Trainor. Draper to the Crows seems likely. One of Smilie or FOS are definitely a chance. WC is the probably the one who chooses between them and we get the scraps in that scenario.

I'm not old enough to have watched Winmar live, but it is worth noting that Nas has already played 59 games and is still about a month younger than Winmar when he debuted in 1987.
I just wish we would re-sign him long term.

So I am hearing that if we end up with 5 and 6 (FA compensation) that we will try and turn that into 1 and a later first from 10 onwards. Do you think thats a good idea?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Someone today on SEN was emphatic that Battle will re sign today and it will be announced on Monday. Brian ....

Take it with a grain of salt. Someone also said he is leaving so take that with a grain of salt too
Well whether Someone #1 is right or wrong will be known on Monday whereas the accuracy or otherwise of Someone #2 may not be known until after the season concludes.

I'm happy to wait until Monday

Berry's recent shift into the midfield has given draft watchers a lot to think about. He's not a prolific clearance winner at this stage, but his elite evasive skills allow him to navigate traffic from inside to out and convert stoppage wins by his team into damaging possessions. He still splits his time between midfield and his old forward role, and remains one of the most damaging players in this years pool inside the forward 50.

Noob, have you got a Jesse Dattoli vid?

Genuinely could fall through to us still anyway. If Jagga goes at one there is every chance that he could slide through. North would be very keen to get hold of Trainor. Draper to the Crows seems likely. One of Smilie or FOS are definitely a chance. WC is the probably the one who chooses between them and we get the scraps in that scenario.
If FOS finishes big then he won't slide to us, he'd even be ahead of Jagga if he returns to his form of the past 2 years

I would like to think North or West Coast take Trainor. However, North even grabbed a mid (Payne) in the MSD when there were developing tall options galore.

If Battle signs & Barrass goes then Trainor makes sense for WC.

Either way, I truly believe there are 4 top tier mids vying for pick 1 with a bunch of other high ceiling but not as guaranteed players available after that. Trainer needs to be gone before our pick, if it's 5 or worse.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No not yet.

I don't have Dattoli super high in the rankings myself, but I'll do one if he has an outstanding performance or there's just a huge demand for it.
This is from Twomey

Attachments

• IMG_8102.jpeg
    IMG_8102.jpeg
    455.9 KB · Views: 73
I

Inject that kick into my veins

Talking about drafts… having a good look at Bontimpelli tonight.

Have to say, I think Saints made absolutely the right call with drafting Billings ahead of Bont. I know a lot of uneducated Saints supporters think otherwise but Bontimpelli would have completely destroyed the culture and very fabric of the mighty StKilda football club. His super clean hands, brilliant disposal, strength in contests and sublime decision making is the absolute antithesis of everything we stand for.

Let’s hope we don’t pick up any of these brilliant types in this year’s draft.

Last edited:
Talking about drafts… having a good look at Bontimpelli tonight.

Have to say, I think Saints made absolutely the right call with drafting Billings ahead of Bont. I know a lot of uneducated Saints supporters think otherwise but Bontimpelli would have completely destroyed the culture and very fabric of the mighty StKilda football club. His super clean hands, brilliant disposal, strength in contests and sublime decision making is the absolute antithesis of everything we stand for.

Let’s hope we don’t pick up any of these brilliant types in this year’s draft.
Zzzzz

Thanks Gold Coast, now we're gonna end up with pick 6 which is objectively the worst pick to have in the top 10. And Battle is gonna re-sign so no compo pick. Another wasted year both on and off the field :)

Thanks Gold Coast, now we're gonna end up with pick 6 which is objectively the worst pick to have in the top 10. And Battle is gonna re-sign so no compo pick. Another wasted year both on and off the field :)
I guess winning means Battle potentially stays, bird in the hand etc etc etc

It is the thing I hate about the draft though, I'd love to see an NBA style lottery for everyone who misses finals.

Finishing eith pick 6 or worse probably means the FOS, Draper or Jagga dream is over.

There is still Lalor, Smillie, Langford, Trainor or Reid of the main names - so not all completely lost - but we really need to nail this one and only pick if that's how it ends up

Sorry to be a drag down but if we ended up with FoS and Lalor, that would be the worst of all the combo scenarios.
That would be on a par with Coffield and Clark.
Langford is miles ahead of Lalor IMO. Would rather Reid over Lalor. My opinion of course.
We need for Adelaide to get ahead of us. Really want a crack at Draper.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
I'm the opposite. I think FoS is the exact type of player we need.

On Pixel 7 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back