2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Damned if you, damned if you don’t.
This administration are paying the prices for half a decade of neglecting genuine mids at the draft and now charged with correcting the course.

if we retained battle we miss an opportunity to solve a decade long problem but we keep a valuable 3rd tall.

We’ve been begging for an administration that makes tough decisions with the goal of winning a st Kilda premiership in mind. We have it, it’s here.

This administration are paying the prices for half a decade of neglecting genuine mids at the draft and now charged with correcting the course.

if we retained battle we miss an opportunity to solve a decade long problem but we keep a valuable 3rd tall.

We’ve been begging for an administration that makes tough decisions with the goal of winning a st Kilda premiership in mind. We have it, it’s here.
If we get pick 8 for Battle we can probably all live with it. It's overs. It will still hurt to see him running around for the Hawks but you'll find if we get pick 8 people will see it as an incredible deal for us. We've had a few good drafts in a row, it feels like we're starting to build something decent through the kids and if we have 7/8 it's a massive opportunity.

How does our non-accepted offer ensure we get Band 1?
We put 950 a year on the table.

The Hawks were at a reported 850.

Band 1 needs 900k without getting caught up in other trigger points.

I doubt the Hawks matched. But they very much likely moved 50k

It changed how the Hawks offer was put together if they front load it it will help getting band 1 think you wil find Battle wanted us to get the best result
And you explicitly know this?

Cause it sounds like you do .... just like you know what apparently went down earlier in the season .... or is it just your opinion ... like the Keeler move into the backline ... even though he then played forward with a little rucking thrown in?

I would suggest the Hawks would do what is best for themselves and that maybe Battle told the Saints earlier in the year that he was likely gunna leave to his boyhood club (Hawks) cause they had come knocking with a very large offer ....... Hawks aren't stupid and knew that they needed to bolster their defence and had Barrass (Mitchell was Eaagles assistant coach) and Battle earmarked early doors ... not just middle of this year but over a year back or more

Just my opinion of course

Exactly, let’s get some optimism in here. i know it’s difficult but finally I feel like we are operating like a serious club.

i get that, but seems a bit silly to give up a very good defender for a potentially very good defender. And the one we had was very good age for us going forward

Yes I agree.

Losing Battle only makes sense to me if our first two picks (assuming we get pick 8 for Battle) are both mids. as we know that our midfield has been our biggest flow for a decade, and if we do not improve it from we currently have we will never become a Top 4 Contender.

Battle for Trainor just maintains that flaw, even if Trainor potentially can play more roles.

Yes I agree.

Losing Battle only makes sense to me if our first two picks (assuming we get pick 8 for Battle) are both mids. as we know that our midfield has been our biggest flow for a decade, and if we do not improve it from we currently have we will never become a Top 4 Contender.

Battle for Trainor just maintains that flaw, even if Trainor potentially can play more roles.
You have to pick best available. If they think that's Trainor then you have to take him.

Yes, we all know that. Pretty obvious why we upped our offer.
And if Battle accepted that offer?

Then Mowman's rant that we pushed Battle out at the start of the year is void ..... its still void given the offer we put down

I would say Hawks have been into Battle's ear for a while but was waiting to see if they improved ... hey guess what they did and the pull of his boyhood club became too strong

Pretty risky game to play ... offering a contract above and beyond when you want u are actually wanting to push someone out .... unless of course the club and Hawks are on good terms and the Hawks are being nice guys to get us Band 1 ... I mean .... is that believable? If so ... why didn't they just offer that in the first place anyway?

Surely the club knew what the Band 1 trigger would be ... given all the noise about the SC increase ... and going through the Gresham FA last year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And you explicitly know this?

Cause it sounds like you do .... just like you know what apparently went down earlier in the season .... or is it just your opinion ... like the Keeler move into the backline ... even though he then played forward with a little rucking thrown in?

I would suggest the Hawks would do what is best for themselves and that maybe Battle told the Saints earlier in the year that he was likely gunna leave to his boyhood club (Hawks) cause they had come knocking with a very large offer ....... Hawks aren't stupid and knew that they needed to bolster their defence and had Barrass (Mitchell was Eaagles assistant coach) and Battle earmarked early doors ... not just middle of this year but over a year back or more

Just my opinion of course
If Mowman says things Re Battle - it’s likely true. He knows the family.

If Mowman says things Re Battle - it’s likely true. He knows the family.
Then he must know that they are all mad Hawks supporters

Mitchell and co and have been into Battle for a while .... its not like they magically just found out he was FA until recently

Just like we made our intention clear to LDU .... hey LDU .... hello mate ..... over here ..... let's talk later .... ok next year

Last edited:
So Oakleigh / Sandy / GWVR / Dandenong / Northern / Gippsland all advance to the 2nd round of CL Finals (Quarter Finals) ... and also advancing is ... Geelong (who had a bye - finished top) and Calder as they were the highest ranked loser from the Metro side of the draw

Eastern, Western, Murray, Bendigo & Tassie are all out ... so no more Smillie, Travaglia, Shanahan, Berry, the Whitlocks or Moraes

Draw not out for Finals 2nd week as yet
Shame that the Rebels snuck in. One more game got Lalor to go mental.

Then he must know that they are all mad Hawks supporters
I’m sure he does, just as I’m sure that what I’m telling you all is positioned from the Football clubs point of view and his is Battles that the truth is somewhere in the middle.

Pull your head in don't tell me to calm down

So plan back then was band 1 but that changed ? sounds like list management got their numbers wrong and f*** up
You do realise the AFL changed the rules two weeks ago? Literally two weeks ago.

Do you really think the club let him
walk without talking to his manager and talking with Hawthorn as well, several times?

Remember he couldn’t get a consistent game as a forward two years ago as well, and his Mrs was the driving force behind him leaving, that’s a fact.

Even if we got end of round one that’s a great result IMHO, we just need as many top 30 picks as we can get.

You do realise the AFL changed the rules two weeks ago? Literally two weeks ago.

Do you really think the club let him
walk without talking to his manager and talking with Hawthorn as well, several times?

Remember he couldn’t get a consistent game as a forward two years ago as well, and his Mrs was the driving force behind him leaving, that’s a fact.

Even if we got end of round one that’s a great result IMHO, we just need as many top 30 picks as we can get.
No because Ratts was playing him on the wing and imagine a player getting better when played in his right position and getting to that 50 to 70 game mark. Weird stuff

End of round one is crap result your opinion is wrong

No because Ratts was playing him on the wing and imagine a player getting better when played in his right position and getting to that 50 to 70 game mark. Weird stuff

End of round one is crap result your opinion is wrong
He did start forward and struggled to grasp his opportunities before he was moved to the wing and settled as a key defender.

It’s got as much to do with Corey Enright as it does with Josh hitting the 50-70 game mark.

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back