Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Heard Sam Taylor's name mentioned again today.

I heard from my mate that if you say his name three times in a row in front of the mirror he appears before the Kanga statue with a Hawthorn polo.

I haven't watched much non-Hawks footy for a few years.
He's regarded as the best in the game right now, but what impact would he have on our team?

Is he going to make a big difference in the way Brian Lake did?
Lake fulfilled a positional need for us. Taylor you can build your entire defence around for the next 5+ years.

He's regarded as the best in the game right now, but what impact would he have on our team?

Is he going to make a big difference in the way Brian Lake did?

Yeah I think he would. He's the best KPD in the league alongside Andrews and Weitering and would be the centrepiece of our backline for several years.

Did he not just sign a bumper deal? We'd have to give up our entire draft hand for two years for him.
And what a stupid idea that would be for a defender, as good as he is. FA is best bet but he will be looked after by the AFL so he will stay

Staggered if he leaves.

I'd recommend doing so. It helps paint a much better picture of where we are at as a football club.

Also, you get to know which opposition players would suit our needs, so threads like this become a lot more enjoyable to spend time fantasy trading.

I'd recommend doing so. It helps paint a much better picture of where we are at as a football club.

Also, you get to know which opposition players would suit our needs, so threads like this become a lot more enjoyable to spend time fantasy trading.
It's interesting watching other teams that have bad days like our bad days (midfielders that are double grabbing everything and can't nail a 2m handball, and when they do it's to someone stationary about to get tackled). And then you see that same group of players have a good day where everyone seem slick and play is fluent.

It reminds you that the real play makers in a team are so imporant: Day, Bontempelli, Harris, Toby Greene. These types change how their whole teams play when they're firing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For each area of the game we've got either established players (who we should know what output to expect cos they've been around 5+ years) and emerging players (who need to show glimpses and continue to improve with game time)

Forwards:
Established - Gunston, Chol, Lewis, Wingard, Breust
Emerging - Ginni, Watson, Dear, CMac

Midfielders
Established - Worpel, Nash, Amon, Morrison
Emerging - Newcome, Day, Moore, MacKenzie, D'Ambrosio, Ward, Finn,

Defenders:
Established - Sicily, Frost, Hardwick, Scrimshaw
Emerging - Mitchell, Weddle, Blanck, Easy, CJ

Rucks
Established - none
Emerging - Meek, Reeves

If we are targeting trades and Free Agents strategically it should be players that fill gaps or that will help some of our emerging players become fully established.
I've put Newc and Day as emerging because they're super young (both are 22) and have a lot of improvement.

The forward line is the biggest worry. You can see what an important pickup Chol was - the only player in the established forwards group who has 3-5 years ahead of him and has a good track record of fitness. Having someone else in that group would (or a fit lewis) would be perfect as the emerging players get experience and Gunston/Breust/Wingard hit retirement. I'm not sure if Battle is the player here.

This also shows that although Day and Newcombe are performing well - we lack an experienced midfielder. I think we could either support this group by treating these two as the leaders and adding talent in their age group, or find someone of that Taylor Adams type ilk. Not brilliant, but reliable, consistent and someone the younger players can rely on.

I'm very happy with the backline though since Scrimshaw became a key position player - that was a surprise!

Lake fulfilled a positional need for us. Taylor you can build your entire defence around for the next 5+ years.

Yeah I think he would. He's the best KPD in the league alongside Andrews and Weitering and would be the centrepiece of our backline for several years.

Not yet.
But yes, it would drain our collateral for years. I don't think it'd get done, even if he wanted to come here.

Free agent end of next year

Taylor will be a rising 27yr old at the start of 2026 season - he's contracted to the Giants until end 2025.

No way the Giants don't offer him a monster package deal way before then.

Giants will want the earth for him - first 2 picks plus a good player at the least.

Why not make the smart play - and make a decent offer for Leek Aleer in this trade period?

He'll be 23 next season - and still a fringe player at GWS.

Plus - and this is the thing - Nick Haynes will still be around if they want to extend him to play on at GWS in 2025 as coverage - plus they have Derksen and Hamilton waiting to step up as young untried defenders.

If they lose Taylor - they will need to find a replacement for the best backman currently playing.

If they trade Aleer - they may think they have his loss covered.

Huge upside with Aleer - haven't seen anymore than a glimpse of his potential MHO.

PS: You all by now know I rate Gruzewski - if we can get both + Smith...what a trade period.

Get it done Mark!

So what’s it gonna take in a trade to get Smith, if he wants to come to us?
If English wants out and wants to stay in Melbourne we could offer him enough money to get the Dogs band 1 then offer next years 1st and Reeves for Smith!
Is that too much or not enough?

So what’s it gonna take in a trade to get Smith, if he wants to come to us?
If English wants out and wants to stay in Melbourne we could offer him enough money to get the Dogs band 1 then offer next years 1st and Reeves for Smith!
Is that too much or not enough?
Seems pretty over complicated and I don’t want English on that sort of money personally.

Smith for our first is starting to seem more around the mark with our season turning around. No doubt some shuffling of picks later one way or the other. But if our first falls in that 7-11 range it’s about right.

The Giants Premiership window is still open next season. He's not leaving before end of 2025 for any deal offered by us, as much as people would like to dream.

Not happening.
Two years ago people would have said the same about Smith, now it’s looking more likely than unlikely that he’ll come to us.

A combination of big money / big Victorian club with a culture of success / young team on the rise is an attractive proposition to a lot of players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back