Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Everyone worrying about who we're going to delist, remember that player movement counts. We will definitely have kids in our VFL side both looking for a move, and getting interest from other clubs this off season.

On the delistings though, even guys no one is really expecting like Serong, Morrison or Finn could be gone at the end of the year. I doubt we'll delist Sam Butler given he's got a long term injury, clubs tend to stick by players in those situations, but if he wasn't injured I could see it happening.

Clubs can't really afford to be sentimental, and if we saw anything with Fergus, Jeka, Long, Morris and Bramble last year it's that even playing senior games isn't really a sign you'll be kept on especially if we're bringing in some well rated outsiders.

If we can only get one of Smith, Battle or Perryman.

I’d go Battle going what kind of player he is on what I’ve read on here.

A back line of Battle, Scrimshaw, Sicily would be a hard backline to come up against, in marking ability.

Everyone worrying about who we're going to delist, remember that player movement counts. We will definitely have kids in our VFL side both looking for a move, and getting interest from other clubs this off season.

On the delistings though, even guys no one is really expecting like Serong, Morrison or Finn could be gone at the end of the year. I doubt we'll delist Sam Butler given he's got a long term injury, clubs tend to stick by players in those situations, but if he wasn't injured I could see it happening.

Clubs can't really afford to be sentimental, and if we saw anything with Fergus, Jeka, Long, Morris and Bramble last year it's that even playing senior games isn't really a sign you'll be kept on especially if we're bringing in some well rated outsiders.
Serong, Finn and Butler are contracted.
We will only ever delist a contracted player if Mitch Thorp like.

Serong, Finn and Butler are contracted.
We will only ever delist a contracted player if Mitch Thorp like.
My bad, didn't bother checking. Point stands though, there will always be players let go that we don't think should be at this moment.

Look, my expectation is depending on numbers to get the right amount of senior spots., we will be looking to be doing a bit of reshuffling say putting Butler, Finn or Gunston on the rookie list. Even JOS perhaps if we want to retain him on the list.

Expecting Phillips to only get a new contract if Serong is traded or Battle doesn't come. Through no fault of his own, just tight numbers.

Look, my expectation is depending on numbers to get the right amount of senior spots., we will be looking to be doing a bit of reshuffling say putting Butler, Finn or Gunston on the rookie list. Even JOS perhaps if we want to retain him on the list.

Expecting Phillips to only get a new contract if Serong is traded or Battle doesn't come. Through no fault of his own, just tight numbers.
We need to remove two players from the rookie list just to get back to the allowed numbers (if Phillips stays)

After a full pre-season, Bruest still only looks capable of playing 1 quarter of footy. I don't see how he plays on for another year with so many small forwards developing.

I expect two of Gunston, Wingard and Breust to be gone.
Harry Morrison and DBG at other clubs.
Stephens and Phillips delisted.
One of Bennett's or O'Sullivan delisted.

After a full pre-season, Bruest still only looks capable of playing 1 quarter of footy. I don't see how he plays on for another year with so many small forwards developing.

I expect two of Gunston, Wingard and Breust to be gone.
Harry Morrison and DBG at other clubs.
Stephens and Phillips delisted.
One of Bennett's or O'Sullivan delisted.
I believe Phillips will get a contract.

Doesn't he already have one for next year? Thought he got 18 months to begin with.
I feel like SPP only get contracted for the 12 months they are placed in the list, unless extended.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ahh yeh, might be confusing this with a MSD pick.
Yeah he is only contracted this year. In the MSD players can nominate but SSP they are one year rentals almost. Hard to see both him and Serong on the roster next year if they bring in Battle and add him to Sicily, Scrimshaw, Blanck and Frost though.

if he got an 18 month contract would only take him half way through next season

What a difference 2-3 months have made, with many previously claiming the cupboard was bare, & we had to cut deep into this list to rejuvenate it.

It's now a very good problem to have when considering that some tough decisions will need to be made just to reach the minimum list turnover requirement.

As for Breust and Gunston, I personally can't see both playing on after this season.

I was told today… and I believe reliably that Bailey wouldn’t be making a decision until he returned from his trip.
Any talk of him leaning towards Geelong was likely guess work by the media based on their start to the season vs ours before he left.
Bailey knows where he is going, this is just a stalling tactic that he and his manager can use for as long as they need to, and we’ve seen plenty of players do it.

Bailey knows where he is going, this is just a stalling tactic that he and his manager can use for as long as they need to, and we’ve seen plenty of players do it.

It would be a bit awkward declaring your leaving for another club and then go back in to do rehab.

I can understand why players hold off once a decision is made.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back