Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

The Freo game highlighted the need for Josh Battle. have to admit I wasn't that keen, but I completely see why now.

A lot depends on the progress of our kids.
If Skaife and McCabe come on and are of a good AFL standard I genuinely think we are only two players short of a Premiership team.

An elite winger (Josh Kelly type) and a genuine A-grade outside running mid, and we are as good as any team in the comp.

Battle would be a great first step.

Best win of the year, no question, but I still felt we looked undersized, in height and weight, and we got outmarked absolutely at will. Still a big worry.

To be honest, I haven't seen a lot of Battle (only really watch the Aints when they play us), will he help to this end? Is he strong in a marking contest, at holding his position, getting a fist on it, and clunking a few himself? He's noted as 193 and 89, so he ain't no gorilla. At that point it comes down to his smarts, positioning etc....

Assuming we actually get him, of course....

The Freo game highlighted the need for Josh Battle. have to admit I wasn't that keen, but I completely see why now.

A lot depends on the progress of our kids.
If Skaife and McCabe come on and are of a good AFL standard I genuinely think we are only two players short of a Premiership team.

An elite winger (Josh Kelly type) and a genuine A-grade outside running mid, and we are as good as any team in the comp.

Battle would be a great first step.
You see why now, yet some on here have been saying all along that it’s not just about Battle.

Getting him into our back line releases someone who’s already in the back line.

Weddle ? Amon ?

Some people look at players individually & not the entire picture, the team dynamics of that 1 player.

This is one draft where I don't mind if our pick gets pushed back a place, it's that even.

If the ladder remains the same, and even with first round compensation AND two matched bids we will have our choice of several talents.

Even if we move up a few places we will still have options, potentially still any/all of those available to us below.

1) Richmond - Smillie / FOS
2) WCE - FOS / Smillie
3) Brisbane - Ashcroft (match)
4) North - Trainor
5) GCS - Lombardi (match)
6) Saints - Smith
7) Saints - Reid
8) Crows - Draper
9) Hawks - Travaglia / Kako / Moraes / Lalor
10) GCS - likely traded

I wonder if we can use our F1 for GCS's pick, which could be used on Bailey Smith or to grab another player if we like a few at that range.

Last edited:
Best win of the year, no question, but I still felt we looked undersized, in height and weight, and we got outmarked absolutely at will. Still a big worry.

To be honest, I haven't seen a lot of Battle (only really watch the Aints when they play us), will he help to this end? Is he strong in a marking contest, at holding his position, getting a fist on it, and clunking a few himself? He's noted as 193 and 89, so he ain't no gorilla. At that point it comes down to his smarts, positioning etc....

Assuming we actually get him, of course....

Can play on talls and smalls. Is built like a brick poohouse but also very athletic.
Great user by foot and gets a lot of the ball as well.

As a player comparison he sits somewhere between Sicily and Weddle.
With a bit of Scrimshaw as well. That's why he feels like such a great fit for the unit we already have. He would strengthen a strength of ours.

If the ladder remains the same, and even with first round compensation AND two matched bids we will have our choice of several talents.

Even if we move up a few places we will still have options, potentially still any/all of those available to us below.

2) WCE - FOS / Smillie
4) North - Trainor
6) Saints - Smith
7) Saints - Reid
8) Crows - Draper
9) Hawks - Travaglia / Kako / Moraes
10) GCS - likely traded

I wonder if we can use our F1 for GCS's pick, which could be used on Bailey Smith or to grab another player if we like a few at that range.
Kako pls.

2) WCE - FOS / Smillie
4) North - Trainor
6) Saints - Smith
7) Saints - Reid
8) Crows - Draper
9) Hawks - Travaglia / Kako / Moraes
10) GCS - likely traded

Lalor needs to be in consideration.

Genuine mid/fwd in the Dusty/Petracca mould. Not saying he can reach those levels, but that's his skillset.

Doesn't matter what compensation Battle gives we're not paying it, he will make us a better team and thats all that matters.

Doesn’t seem to matter so much this year.. top 5-10 is very even and in the eye of the beholder.
We thought we missed out big time last year but who’s taking Duursma over Wiz right now?? Not me, though I think Duursma will be a good player, but Wiz is electric..

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

What's Jack Lukosius worth in terms of draft picks? Is he gettable? Would be perfect Gunston replacement.

I think he will be my pick in the "who are we looking to trade in?" sweepstakes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Doesn’t seem to matter so much this year.. top 5-10 is very even and in the eye of the beholder.
We thought we missed out big time last year but who’s taking Duursma over Wiz right now?? Not me, though I think Duursma will be a good player, but Wiz is electric..

That’s because North should have taken Wiz. We would be spewing if we missed Wiz due to being pushed back for the McKay compo pick.

2) WCE - FOS / Smillie
4) North - Trainor
6) Saints - Smith
7) Saints - Reid
8) Crows - Draper
9) Hawks - Travaglia / Kako / Moraes / Lalor
10) GCS - likely traded

Would like to see us get a another 1st pick if possible and some seconds that we could bundle up and move up, clubs like GC and North are going to be a hand full with all there talent, we need as much talent as we can.

If we can't use it for an established player like Baz, I wouldn't be against trading out of the draft this year.

We have gone hard the last few years and already struggling to fit players into the 22. I'd be happy to let draftees develop another 12 months to see what they've got and stockpile some quality picks for trades in 12-24 months time (I.e. a Callaghan type)

Kako pls.

Tied to Essendon with there NGA another bonus to get him.

Him and Watson in our forward line would have Rioli & Poppy vibes, releasing MacDonald to the midfield.
giphy.gif

What's Jack Lukosius worth in terms of draft picks? Is he gettable? Would be perfect Gunston replacement.

I think he will be my pick in the "who are we looking to trade in?" sweepstakes.

He's soft.

Bazlenka?

IMG_1786.gif

I’m still confident based on what I was told a few months ago but the Cats have come real hard so who knows…. And it sounds like other clubs believe it’ll be the Cats.

I think we’ll have other targets if we miss Baz, I really don’t see us going to the draft unless we’re unsuccessful with our trade targets.

Has Nash quite publicly stated he’s putting off contract talks?

From memory the only free agent in recent years to have a lot of media buzz about them putting off contract talks to then re-sign late in the season was Dusty. So it’s not so silly that people are reading it as a sign of him on the way out.
No.

Would like to see us get a another 1st pick if possible and some seconds that we could bundle up and move up, clubs like GC and North are going to be a hand full with all there talent, we need as much talent as we can.

I’d be saying to the saints, we’ll
Pay enough to get band one for battle , but you swap one of your picks with us.. do a trade for a fringe player plus our pick for their compo pick..could Move us up 3-4 spots..

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back