Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Certainly in recent years, yes, but I think through the patch of time where we were actually good and had a lot of good players there just weren't that many players who wanted to leave. There was definitely talk of Breust and GWS where we were going to receive high picks in return, but we didn't see much of it because Breust didn't want to go.

Other teams seem to have more players leave regularly, and that means you hear more about their value. We also didn't do ourselves any favours in our dealings at the end of the threepeat era, irrespective of their age we should have received more than we did for Lewis and Mitch. Lewis particularly.
The AFL enjoyed us being “more vulnerable”.

how would splitting the pick allow us to get Trainor? He’s projected top 5 at a minimum. Even moraes is projected around 8 (which is what our 6 will be after academy bids and free agency compensation).
That's why there are a few names, some will slip and others will rise.

Battle wants to do the right thing by StKilda. Regardless of his requirements or his responsibilities. I repeat, the AFL determines compensation.
He may want to do the right thing by StKilda but he cant do it by overestimating he worth! He needs to be comfortable with the money and years he gets offered and let the compensation pick to Saints take care of itself!

If we are going to try and pry a Freo player I'd be targetting Serong.

Would two firsts get it done?
No chance.

He's have to initiate the trade & select HFC as the only club he'd go to & probs be out of contract. Then 2x good 1sts might get it done.

I wonder how many of our players are on 950? İncluding the captain? No way Jose, that aren't happening at that price. The earlier quoted " around 800k" is about where the asking price was at . Battle can't be leaving to a better club and at the same time looking over his shoulder to make sure his old club get a ' Blue Chip ' compensation, it's NOT in his control.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lots of noise out there that the Demons want Olivers contract of there books and will let him go cheap!
Big contract to take on but we could front load the first couple of years, and i reckon we would be an attractive club for him.

Melbourne probably trade Oliver and 1st rounder to Cats for a packet of chips.

Oliver to get fit and win a brownlow next year.

If we miss on Smith, then while this may rile a few on here, I feel Cam Raynor is exactly what we need and reckon Sam could get the best out of him. RFA next year, pre-agent this year.

Was a Hawks supporter as a kid right? ;)

Battle wants to do the right thing by StKilda. Regardless of his requirements or his responsibilities. I repeat, the AFL determines compensation.
it's no coincidence that doing the 'right thing' by St Kilda means we just have to pay him more too...

If we miss on Smith, then while this may rile a few on here, I feel Cam Raynor is exactly what we need and reckon Sam could get the best out of him. RFA next year, pre-agent this year.

Was a Hawks supporter as a kid right? ;)

I'd rather just draft this kid if he's still available!

Interesting draft ahead if we retain our first round pick. Can throw a blanket over a bunch of them. Likely going to be some unexpected bolters and sliders as a result.

I wonder how much someone like Sydney or GWS (or Melb, Carl, Bris, Freo, WB etc) will value say half a million bucks in cap space for 4 years ($2m) if pick purchasing comes in?

That essentially gives you room for another absolute A grader on your list (relative wage to an average list player) and has to be worth a late first I'd have thought.

re Batttle, I think it would be hard for him whilst still playing for the Saints… they’re probably putting a fair bit of pressure on him internally. I find it hard to believe that he would be demanding close to 1M just to get his former club a 1st round pick.

The media are going to be bringing this one up for a few months unfortunately, there’s not much else to talk about on the FA front.

Last edited:
Battle would not even be in our top 10 players, IMO.

Day, Sicily, Moore, Newcombe, Worpel, Scrimshaw, Hardwick, Amon, Meek, Lewis.
And the rest.

Be wary of the AFL player with one good season in an important contract year.

Is he actually doing this though? Or is it just speculation?
I would guess that his manager is trying to maximise what Battle gets. So playing the "look after St Kilda" card to get the Hawks to up the offer.

I find it funny that people get all up in arms about players trying to get the most value for themselves when they do the same for themselves when negotiating salary for a new role.

Lots of noise out there that the Demons want Olivers contract of there books and will let him go cheap!
Big contract to take on but we could front load the first couple of years, and i reckon we would be an attractive club for him.

hd remake GIF

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back