Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Nash is steadily improving overhead and has a good tank. Could play wing, half forward or half back as well as ruck relief.

One prerequisite for playing wing or half forward is you must use the ball well when you have time and space.. Nash’s disposal is so poor he is an inside mid or nothing in my mind..He gets by as a relief ruck.. I love Connor’s endeavour but he is a very limited player in many other facets of the game.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Hustwaite will overtake finn next season.

Hustwaite is a good reader of the play at stoppages, operating in congestion and getting his hands to the ball and feeding it off. Not as suited to being at the centre bounce where players need a bit more zip.

Finn is more versatile and can play a lockdown role.

Different types of players and hope we can keep both of them for next year.

Will Day, Mackenzie, and Jiath are all ahead of Finn.
Morrison (if he stays) and Ward are also battling to find a spot in the 22.
The inclusion of Battle and Barrass will also release Weddle further up the field.

I would prefer to hold onto Maginness, but if another club can guarantee him senior games and a longer contract, whilst satisfying us with a decent pick, it could potentially be a win-win for both player and club. It all comes down to how we value him long-term, as he is contracted for 2025.
Given he has played two pretty good finals games Finn's trade value is probably at an all time high right now.

If he stays next year and is in and out of the team again (which I think will be the case) his value will drop again.

Would be a potential win / win for player and club if Finn got an opportunity with another club with a long term contract and we got a pick in the late twenties.

Its Happening Ron Paul GIF

During this whole Finn discussion, I can't help remembering favourite son, Josh Kennedy being sucked out of the nest and landing with Sydney and we all know what happened there! I would not be surprised if Sydney came with a similar offer for Finn who in my opinion would be perfectly suited to the smaller confines of the SCG. When Kennedy was lured to Sydney, he was also finding it hard to find his spot in the Hawk midfield and blossomed in Sydney. I would hate to see the same thing happening. Finn is a good player and always does his job when called upon like Harry Morrison. I for one, would be keeping him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One prerequisite for playing wing or half forward is you must use the ball well when you have time and space.. Nash’s disposal is so poor he is an inside mid or nothing in my mind..He gets by as a relief ruck.. I love Connor’s endeavour but he is a very limited player in many other facets of the game.

He rarely marks, but his disposal in a free kick situation is well above average…but he plays his role

During this whole Finn discussion, I can't help remembering favourite son, Josh Kennedy being sucked out of the nest and landing with Sydney and we all know what happened there! I would not be surprised if Sydney came with a similar offer for Finn who in my opinion would be perfectly suited to the smaller confines of the SCG. When Kennedy was lured to Sydney, he was also finding it hard to find his spot in the Hawk midfield and blossomed in Sydney. I would hate to see the same thing happening. Finn is a good player and always does his job when called upon like Harry Morrison. I for one, would be keeping him.
I'd keep him as well but I imagine Finn would probably kick on in much the same way that Josh did (most likely not to the same extent of course) if he moved to Sydney (as you say his game really would suit the SCG). The Swans really are lacking depth in the midfield and he would be exactly the kind of player they need.

He'd be stupid not to make the most logical choice (AFL players have very short careers) and I wouldn't begrudge him moving.

But even though Kennedy had a great career at the Swans we did end up going on a three peat so you can't really say it hurt the club. Hopefully it would be history repeating and we go on a other 3 peater!

He had a really good finals series.

Injuries to McKenzie and Day opened the door for him but he performed well and that's what would have caught another team's eye and that's what we need to base negotiations around.

Of course the other club will say "you played him in the seconds half the year" and we'll say "but he's contracted and played final well" and depending how far apart those two things are it'll work out somewhere sensible eventually
Didn’t we get him for early second rounder? Plus experience and fitness and possible future development. I would want something half decent

Nash, Newcombe and Worpel played every single game this year.

Day is the only one of our main 4 mids who missed games.

That’s exceptionally rare.

Mackenzie, Ward & Maginness played a mixture of VFL and AFL which is entirely understandable given 3 of our first 4 mids didn’t miss a game.

I don’t see why Finn couldn’t push up the pecking order and challenge Nash / Worpel as a big body mid who complements the more skilful players.

If he does so successfully then he will continue to play in our best available team.

Last edited:

Disagree, Daniel. Nash is elite by hand and quite effective by foot. He has a very ugly kicking action but you need to pay attention to where the ball goes, not the appearance at the point of departure.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back