Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

The lions are not short of key talls fwd and back. They are thin in the ruck, but can solve that with a DFA.

They have Sweet FA draft/trade capital to burn, and have Ashcroft and Marshall to bring in. This will be their focus.
Not sure about that. They’ve just lost by far their best key forward right in the middle of a premiership window. They would not have made the GF without Daniher who was enormous against Giants and Cats. And will have the Daniher money to spend. I’d expect them to go shopping for a replacement. Tom Lynch is the most obvious target I would think

Welcome Josh Battle

Not having to trade for Battle is amazing list business.

Just turned 26. Top 3 B&F. Somehow not in their top dozen paid players. Would be a restrict free agent in 90% of circumstances.

High disposal, plays in a zone like our current back 6. Plays forward or back.

Didn't get sucked into bidding up to clear band 1.

In value terms, it's probably like a free first round pick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’ve heard from a good source that Trac is not well liked at the dees
This is true but the question, as Brant put it, is who that really reflects on. Guys like Buckley and Sam Mitchell were not the most popular within their playing groups.

Petracca is an intense guy with a large ego. But he’s proper professional and while there are some other things at play, he is genuinely pissed with the club for a number of reasons and would love to get out of there

The rumour I heard on Trac was that a lot of his issues stemmed moreso from family pressures and apparently his partner was driving that he should be considering his options and building his brand for post-footy life whereas his family want him to be loyal to the Dees.

This is true but the question, as Brant put it, is who that really reflects on. Guys like Buckley and Sam Mitchell were not the most popular within their playing groups.

Petracca is an intense guy with a large ego. But he’s proper professional and while there are some other things at play, he is genuinely pissed with the club for a number of reasons and would love to get out of there
Bit of both, was from the mouth of someone who’s professionalism you wouldn’t question.

Petracca and Sam Mitchell are made for each other.

Both have never been worried about a popularity contest. Sam has openly spoken about how he rubbed a lot of players up the wrong way becuse of his drive and expectations for himself and the group.
Both are real competitors that love the hard work and eventually become winners.

The rumour I heard on Trac was that a lot of his issues stemmed moreso from family pressures and apparently his partner was driving that he should be considering his options and building his brand for post-footy life whereas his family want him to be loyal to the Dees.
While probably some truth in it and there is no doubting Petracca’s ego, I think that story is largely coming from Melbourne’s backgrounding to journalists in an effort to make his motivations look petty and selfish and to pin it on his partner.

Petracca’s family and partner livid with the club over his injury. Involved in leaning on AFLPA, together with Petracca himself. To what extent other motivations are involved also I have no idea, but there’s genuine fury over that issue

The “take x or we walk” approach is not something you do to players with 3 years left on a contract. We’ve targeted him knowing this and aren’t gonna leave him high and dry after handing his trade request. Of course it doesn’t mean pull our pants down immediately either but we’ve known what he would cost for a long time.

We walk away and players and player managers will avoid us moving forward knowing we’re not serious people.
Only pull this card out for GCS and Tony

Ah the old “it’s the missus fault”. Petracca has the reputation for being super professional - plus he’s built that brand himself, so what if he’s worried about how being associated with a club that put him at risk physically, condones drug use by senior leadership and has the professional standards of a Div C country footy club.

If I were his dad I’d want him out of that environment too - irrespective of who I support. The club are completely letting him down by being a dumpster fire in terms of professionalism and acceptance of mediocrity. I’d want out too.

Rumours a few weeks ago were that his family were livid with MFC

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back