Injury 2024 Injury Report/Updates

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes Elliot is a loss, but nearly every single team in the AFL is missing some of their better players due to injury
We’ve had an extraordinary run of injuries this year. Can’t think of another club who have had worse.

We’ve had an extraordinary run of injuries this year. Can’t think of another club who have had worse.

Well Brisbane have 5 ACLs, and 1 guy who just came back from an ACL.

Melbourne are missing their best 2 players

Richmond have 17 on their injury list including most of their best players

Bulldogs have had a pretty poor run like us too, missing Bailey Smith Johannisen Weightman Naughton Liam Jones Liberatore ect for large parts of the year.

A bunch of clubs have had better runs, but what can you do? Much of our issues are down to our stars having down years, and our kids not taking the next step to consistent good footy.

Bulldogs have had a pretty poor run like us too, missing Bailey Smith Johannisen Weightman Naughton Liam Jones Liberatore ect for large parts of the year.

A bunch of clubs have had better runs, but what can you do? Much of our issues are down to our stars having down years, and our kids not taking the next step to consistent good footy.
Off the top of my head, the following senior players have missed multiple weeks:
Cox
De Goey
Elliott
Hoskin-Elliott
Howe
McCreery
McStay
Mihocek
Mitchell
Murphy
Noble
Pendlebury
Richards

Doggies and rich I’m with you. You aren’t Including Gawn who was just injured on the wkend? Come on kappa 😂.

We agree that form and a horrible injury list has crippled our season. Not one or the other.

Off the top of my head, the following senior players have missed multiple weeks:
Cox
De Goey
Elliott
Hoskin-Elliott
Howe
McCreery
McStay
Mihocek
Mitchell
Murphy
Noble
Pendlebury
Richards
Not to mention potential depth options most notably Steene and Begg in ruck, but also Carmichael, Ryan, Parker and Eyre. Di mattia missed games early too, who knows without that early season interruption he might be ready for seniors.

I also suspect Cameron J daicos and IQ have been carrying niggles during the season that they otherwise might have been rested for, but due to lack of cattle there hasn’t been that opportunity

Critical mass of injuries. Its where a side has so many injuries that the rest of the team playing are either not conditioned well enough to play that position and get a soft tissue injury or playing in a position where the back of their head gets caved in playing in a position where they are undersized and is out with concussion for weeks.

Speaking of concussions.... we need to have all 3 emergencies available to replace a concussed player from 2025 onwards.
If the AFL really wants to be serious about players and doctors and clubs taking it serious, they need to take away the possibility of going a rotation down for the rest of a match.
These are professional athletes, they will be paid to sit on the pine and wait... non of this "it will stop them from playing VFL" nonsense. Im sure the AFL can schedule the VFL games after the AFL ones if needed.

We agree that form and a horrible injury list has crippled our season. Not one or the other.

And poor form flows from injuries, when you’ve had as many as us, including multiple concurrent weeks out for some of our best players.

The outcome is that uninjured players are moved around and out of their regular positions to help fill holes, players return (in desperation) before they are fully fit, debutants come in, chemistry and communication break down (what Fly calls ‘connection’), and poor decisions are made in the heat of games and at critical times. That’s what a significant injury toll does to a team.

I’ve never agreed with those who say injuries are not an excuse. Ok, if not an excuse, then perhaps an explanation for what we have seen.

We did remarkably well to withstand this for a period, and keep winning. But its caught up with us over the last month or so.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jamie Elliot is about to turn 32 and has had a long long list of serious injury issues. Yes, he is old, that is obvious.

For large parts of 2023 people were complaining that we got Mcstay at all.. now after an ACL he's the messiah, doesn't make much sense.

Mcreery has been in genuinely awful form recently, if you can't see that you must not have watched his games.

Most people on this forum were desperate for Cox to be dropped.. now he's injured he becomes an "integral" part of the team. I was one of the few people actually defending Cox.

You criticize reality because you've lost your grasp on it. You live in wonderland where injured players get better every week.

We are close to full strength, we just need our experienced stars like Moore Lipinski Schultz Sidebottom De Goey Hill Quaynor J.Daicos ect ect to stand up.
We are nowhere near full strength. If all of the following were available, they would be named in our senior side.
Cox
McCreery
McStay
Elliott
Mitchell
Howe (another old man)

That's one third of our onfield team.

Anyone on this forum who has bagged Mcstay and regarded him as a dud pick up simply exposes their incredibly poor understanding of football and the way in which players contribute to the success of a team.

The very same comment can be applied to Cox and McCreery. I'm not going to launch into another Cox essay but even when not touching the footy he adds great value to our structure. When playing okay he is a bonus. When on fire he is a matchwinner. His ruck work is sadly underrated.

Elliott has not looked "old" he has looked beaten up, as he often is, and the three month break will have done him the world of good.

Mitchell is another grossly underrated player who was in the best three Collingwood players in the grand final.

You are far too cynical.

I think the loss of Howe is the tipping point tomorrow night. For you to suggest we are close to full strength is simply ridiculous and demonstrably false.

Jamie Elliot is about to turn 32 and has had a long long list of serious injury issues. Yes, he is old, that is obvious.

For large parts of 2023 people were complaining that we got Mcstay at all.. now after an ACL he's the messiah, doesn't make much sense.

Mcreery has been in genuinely awful form recently, if you can't see that you must not have watched his games.

Most people on this forum were desperate for Cox to be dropped.. now he's injured he becomes an "integral" part of the team. I was one of the few people actually defending Cox.

You criticize reality because you've lost your grasp on it. You live in wonderland where injured players get better every week.

We are close to full strength, we just need our experienced stars like Moore Lipinski Schultz Sidebottom De Goey Hill Quaynor J.Daicos ect ect to stand up.

Honestly I came into this thread about to say the same thing about us now being close enough to full strength

Once McStay and Elliott are back in, Mitchell and Cox are really the only remining core pieces we need back.

Even then, if Ned Long can perform Mitchell's role, then it's really just Cox and even Cox's presence could be potentially cancelled out by McStay and Kreuger giving Cameron a chop out in the ruck for a few minutes each per quarter.

I think Fly just needs to find a way to get these players actually giving a shit about our season again. We look a LOT like the first 3 weeks of the season where we were more than happy just being the reigning Premiers rather than trying to go back to back.

Which I gotta say is a little bit surprising given the 3 main components of our coaching group have all experienced 3 peat success as either players, coaches or both?

I will say the only part I disagree on is Beau. Prior to his injury run, I think he was better than you're giving him credit for and he was just starting to show some real promise as a midfielder before his concussion in the Carlton game.

But his pace and power isn't easy to replace

Honestly I came into this thread about to say the same thing about us now being close enough to full strength

Once McStay and Elliott are back in, Mitchell and Cox are really the only remining core pieces we need back.

Even then, if Ned Long can perform Mitchell's role, then it's really just Cox and even Cox's presence could be potentially cancelled out by McStay and Kreuger giving Cameron a chop out in the ruck for a few minutes each per quarter.

I think Fly just needs to find a way to get these players actually giving a shit about our season again. We look a LOT like the first 3 weeks of the season where we were more than happy just being the reigning Premiers rather than trying to go back to back.

Which I gotta say is a little bit surprising given the 3 main components of our coaching group have all experience 3 peat success as either players, coaches or both?

I will say the only part I disagree on is Beau. Prior to his injury run, I think he was better than you're giving him credit for and he was just starting to show some real promise as a midfielder before his concussion in the Carlton game.

We were closer getting to full strength until Checkers & Howe got injured.

We were closer getting to full strength until Checkers & Howe got injured.

Yeah but I feel like McStay and Elliott alleviate that

In the end, Kreuger is finding his feet now. He's taller and faster than Mihocek and is kicking goals fairly consistently for someone who has barely played in 2 years. With more and more consistency playing to me he basically replaces Checkers from that perspective.

Howe? Similar story. I'd like to think that with more consistency, Dean for the time being replaces Howe down back.

Please don't misconstrue or get all overly upset and think I'm saying Kreuger and Dean are as good as Mihocek and Howe. I'm not. I'm just saying in the context of I guess "like for like" in terms of our injury crisis, their replacements at least exist.

I know time is a rare commodity in the 2024 season, but our injury issues show no real signs of abating so we take what we can get.

McStay doesn't have a "like for like" on our list
Elliott doesn't have a "like for like"
Cox does but they're both way too young and one is injured

Yeah but I feel like McStay and Elliott alleviate that

In the end, Kreuger is finding his feet now. He's taller and faster than Mihocek and is kicking goals fairly consistently for someone who has barely players in 2 years. With more and more consistency playing to me he basically replaces Checkers from that perspective.

Howe? Similar story. I'd like to think that with more consistency, Dean for the time being replaces Howe down back.

Please don't misconstrue or get all overly upset and think I'm saying Kreuger and Dean are as good as Mihocek and Howe. I'm not. I'm just saying in the context of I guess "like for like" in terms of our injury crisis, their replacements at least exist.

I know time is a rare commodity in the 2024 season, but our injury issues show no real signs of abating so we take what we can get.

McStay doesn't have a "like for like" on our list
Elliott doesn't have a "like for like"
Cox does but they're both way too young and one is injured
Well you've argued with yourself here, so no point me replying 🤣

We are nowhere near full strength. If all of the following were available, they would be named in our senior side.
Cox
McCreery
McStay
Elliott
Mitchell
Howe (another old man)

Anyone on this forum who has bagged Mcstay and regarded him as a dud pick up simply exposes their incredibly poor understanding of football and the way in which players contribute to the success of a team.

The very same comment can be applied to Cox and McCreery. I'm not going to launch into another Cox essay but even when not touching the footy he adds great value to our structure. When playing okay he is a bonus. When on fire he is a matchwinner. His ruck work is sadly underrated.

Elliott has not looked "old" he has looked beaten up, as he often is, and the three month break will have done him the world of good.

Mitchell is another grossly underrated player who was in the best three Collingwood players in the grand final.

You are far too cynical.

I think the loss of Howe is the tipping point tomorrow night. For you to suggest we are close to full strength is simply ridiculous and demonstrably false.
I forgot Mihocek!!! Make that 7 best 22 missing.

Which I gotta say is a little bit surprising given the 3 main components of our coaching group have all experienced 3 peat success as either players, coaches or both?

Did you see what happened to Carlton when Weitering was off the ground and even when he returned with his corkie they were a shambles. The wheels fell off within the space of ten minutes. That was one player. The ramifications of missing champions or structure players is far more than the loss of an individual. It has an effect on the synchronicity of a team and a domino effect which can spread through a defense or forward line.

No Cox has meant the ball comes to ground far less so that in turn means less opportunities for Hill, Shooter and Richards.

If you suggest Mcstay or Krueger can replace Cox as the backup ruck, especially if we get to the finals, all I can do is shake my head in disbelief.

This suddenly rosey view of our state of health bewilders me. I don't know if people are trying to convince themselves that all is well but it's just factually inaccurate. We can still win games but it will be much tougher than it might have been. With all of our outs playing I would be approaching Friday night with enormous optimism. Now- I'm just hoping for the best but expecting a poor outcome.

Did you see what happened to Carlton when Weitering was off the ground and even when he returned with his corkie they were a shambles. The wheels fell off within the space of ten minutes. That was one player. The ramifications of missing champions or structure players is far more than the loss of an individual. It has an effect on the synchronicity of a team and a domino effect which can spread through a defense or forward line.

No Cox has meant the ball comes to ground far less so that in turn means less opportunities for Hill, Shooter and Richards.

If you suggest Mcstay or Krueger can replace Cox as the backup ruck, especially if we get to the finals, all I can do is shake my head in disbelief.

This suddenly rosey view of our state of health bewilders me. I don't know if people are trying to convince themselves that all is well but it's just factually inaccurate. We can still win games but it will be much tougher than it might have been. With all of our outs playing I would be approaching Friday night with enormous optimism. Now- I'm just hoping for the best but expecting a poor outcome.

That's an incredibly interesting view of my post.

Nowhere did I suggest everything is all peaches and rainbows?

Also using Carlton as an example is odd given you're talking to someone who has consistently said I don't think Carlton has a structure or system. Your Weitering example is literal proof of that. Carlton doesn't play to a system. They play on talent. Which is why they'd be screwed if Cripps went down.

It's why they looked all at sea without Weitering out there

It's why they'd struggle to score if Curnow hurt himself.

We spent the last month of last season without De Goey, Daicos and Moore and still managed to beat Geelong and Essendon and could have beat Brisbane with some luck.

We've had a horror injury run this season and are still in the finals race.

If Carlton had our injury run they'd be bottom 4 lol

Cox
McCreery
McStay
Elliott
Mitchell
Howe (another old man)

You are far too cynical.

Coxy’s ruck work is so underrated. He had like 96 HOs in the VFL last year in two weeks and didn’t play full game time. Those numbers haven’t been obtained by many.

I actually think that if he played ruck full time he’d be a more rated player. It’s his best position.

That's an incredibly interesting view of my post.

Nowhere did I suggest everything is all peaches and rainbows?

Also using Carlton as an example is odd given you're talking to someone who has consistently said I don't think Carlton has a structure or system. Your Weitering example is literal proof of that. Carlton doesn't play to a system. They play on talent. Which is why they'd be screwed if Cripps went down.

It's why they looked all at sea without Weitering out there

It's why they'd struggle to score if Curnow hurt himself.

We spent the last month of last season without De Goey, Daicos and Moore and still managed to beat Geelong and Essendon and could have beat Brisbane with some luck.

We've had a horror injury run this season and are still in the finals race.

If Carlton had our injury run they'd be bottom 4 lol
I think you are exaggerating a bit there. Carlton certainly has a system and it’s working. They are getting a bigger spread of goal kickers and will go deep into September.

They have also had their fair share of injuries.

I don’t want to see them win the flag, but it’s going to take some stopping at the G. Hopefully Sydney get back to form.

Cox
McCreery
McStay
Elliott
Mitchell
Howe (another old man)

You are far too cynical.

Deserves another standing ovation

Kobe Bryant Applause GIF by WNBA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back