List Mgmt. 2024 List Management 📃

Remove this Banner Ad

Im 50/50 on that, Williams and Hollands are hard carrying as alternative options up forward imo which has always been my point about our small forwards.

Owies, Durdin, Fantasia etc haven't demanded a direct opponent to drag attention away from Charlie and H which has left them to be double and triple teamed over the last few years. Williams and Hollands drawing opposition attention has opened up our whole forward line for the others to get involved in the game as more goal sneak types.

Still believe Martin and Cottrell push Fantasia and Owies out of the b22 when healthy but it's a good problem to have for the first time in years.
Yeah, I don’t think it’s coincidence that Martin’s 1 game back this year happened to be what I think is the best game of Owies’ career.

But that also seems to have unlocked something (confidence? insight?) and I reckon he’s been in career best form since then, with new aspects to his game (true small forward aspects: better pressure, tackles, crumbing). He looks a much improved player to the one who got dropped for the prelim last year.

Yeah, I don’t think it’s coincidence that Martin’s 1 game back this year happened to be what I think is the best game of Owies’ career.

But that also seems to have unlocked something (confidence? insight?) and I reckon he’s been in career best form since then, with new aspects to his game (true small forward aspects: better pressure, tackles, crumbing). He looks a much improved player to the one who got dropped for the prelim last year.
Agree on all fronts. Right now Owies is playing the exact role we need him to and I think with Martin and Motlop close to 'full health' all our smalls would be trying their guts out to remain in good form leading into finals.

Im 50/50 on that, Williams and Hollands are hard carrying as alternative options up forward imo which has always been my point about our small forwards.
No doubt we need to think about life without Williams, but we have a couple of years to plan

Owies, Durdin, Fantasia etc haven't demanded a direct opponent to drag attention away from Charlie and H which has left them to be double and triple teamed over the last few years.
Let's drag it back to now and moving forward. Both Harry & Charlie cop plenty of attention, but building continuity in a side and structure, has allowed our other forwards to hit the scoreboard because sides aren't respecting them

Williams and Hollands drawing opposition attention has opened up our whole forward line for the others to get involved in the game as more goal sneak types.
It's a great position to be in, players embracing team structures rather than individual output

Still believe Martin and Cottrell push Fantasia and Owies out of the b22 when healthy but it's a good problem to have for the first time in years.
It's a great problem to have

I'd certainly like a more dynamic 3rd/medium tall forward, but maybe Moir is that guy in time. If not, easier to acquire one than pure mids or KPPs

So you rate durdin above Owies? It could come down to one or the other
At the end of the day, it doesn't matter how we rate one over the other, it's how the club rates them.

Durdin was playing some great footy back in 2022 before injury and loss of form, so I personally rate him. Owies has been playing career best footy over the past month or so.

The reality is that it all just comes down to list management by those in the know.

The reports are he’s more keen to go to them than they are keen on him - and that he is willing to play at close to base salary

So it probably will happen but that won’t help us pry any players away from their list

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Might not squeeze anyone out on salary, but I could certainly see a few fringe-ish types (like Eli was) worrying that the club is shunting them down the selection board to accommodate an aging player, past his best, with questionable hunger and a failing body that has media reports suggesting he could have some kind of "home games only" arrangement with his best bud the coach.

Some might see a chance to learn from an absolute gun for a couple of years, but others may worry that their opportunity will be further restricted and decide to look for new homes where a clear role is on the table.

Owies would look a right twit if he left after giving Tuohy the jumper-pull celebration the other week. Only way it happens is if we screw him over....ironically like we did to Tuohy.
I don’t think it will be a case of screwing him over, or even lowballing him, although he might get higher offers to leave. Think it’s more about the uncertainty to do with the total list, and also what changes to the draft values and rules may come in.

I think there’s a good chance that one of Martin or Owies gets traded. Now people might have a pretty clear view of who that should be, but that could also be changed in 3 months time.

Would we consider a trade for a player like Neale-Bullen if we let Cunners go end of year and he wanted out of Goodwins 'snowy' palace? Not sure what he'd cost under contract but certainly a high quality role player for the Dees.

Surely a few will be seeking a fresh start away from the ****show thats enveloped the Dee's this year with Clarry and their medico's, Joel Smith etc.
I like him but would be strange to want out now, he only signed late last year I think, might have even been after the finals.

They have enough to work with they shouldn’t be complete garbage, but they have their answer now of whether they have a list capable of contending.

Their list isn’t set in stone, they do have young and more established talent, but they didn’t get as much out of their high picks as they needed to in order to be a top side now.
I think their strategy was off.
They needed a few more years down the bottom, but you're right they didn't make the most of the picks either (McCartin instead of Petracca was an awful decision - even before the benefit of hindsight)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I did think we needed another tall defender but, this crew seems to be lighting it up. Speed and cohesion is first class and Number 1 in the comp over the last 6 weeks. Marchbank is nice depth but, I can see him wanting to play at some stage.

Weitering every gets a long term injury and we are in serious trouble.

I can see Carroll seeking greener pastures, maybe wanting to go home.

Campo brothers mitigate any fringe players cutting bait and running.

Owies isn’t going anywhere. He knows that there is plenty of food at the Charlie and Harry trough. Imagine the X factor Williams and Martin would provide forward! We can but dream. To me, Martin has one more year to keep his body right then…

Love our list!

Fog is a machine, probably our best tackler
Yet many wrote him off a few years back and a certainty to delist.....unfortunately I was one of them. Had a brilliant start to his career in the navy, but went into oblivion with the back injury.

Sometimes you just have to give players a bit of time to get their bodies right, and they'll pay you back in spades. And I'm hoping that Ashton falls into that basket....prodigious talent that could blossom into anything.

I don’t think it will be a case of screwing him over, or even lowballing him, although he might get higher offers to leave. Think it’s more about the uncertainty to do with the total list, and also what changes to the draft values and rules may come in.

I think there’s a good chance that one of Martin or Owies gets traded. Now people might have a pretty clear view of who that should be, but that could also be changed in 3 months time.
If Martin happens to break down again with another lengthy injury trying to get back than it’s an easy decision, regard the bloke as a player extremely highly, but it should be a disappointing but easy decision…
Owies is improving as a player very nicely…

If Martin happens to break down again with another lengthy injury trying to get back than it’s an easy decision, regard the bloke as a player extremely highly, but it should be a disappointing but easy decision…
Owies is improving as a player very nicely…
Yes.
Likewise, he gets back in the team and wins the Normie…

Yet many wrote him off a few years back and a certainty to delist.....unfortunately I was one of them. Had a brilliant start to his career in the navy, but went into oblivion with the back injury.

Sometimes you just have to give players a bit of time to get their bodies right, and they'll pay you back in spades. And I'm hoping that Ashton falls into that basket....prodigious talent that could blossom into anything.
It’s a shame he’s had his ongoing injuries after such a promising start to his career, i mentioned in earlier post a while ago that he reminded me of Daniel’s from GWS in the way he can play, forgot to mention another player i also think he has the potential to play like is Moore from the hawks, both are those quick and clever small forwards types who can be involved in the scoring chains and on the end of them who can apply good pressure, good enough to be involved around stoppages…

THE AFL is considering a change to the rules where players would be able to stay on rookie lists for up to five years. Currently players can only spend three consecutive seasons on the rookie list before needing to be upgraded to the senior list or delisted.

But as part of discussions with clubs, the League has had support for extending the limit to five years under certain parameters in a bid to allow clubs more time to develop key-position types and ruck talents as rookies. Under a possible stipulation raised, rookies would be able to stay on the rookie list after their third year if they have not played a certain number of games at AFL level by then and again at the end of their fourth year. The rule has had support from clubs as the AFL looks at different mechanisms as part of its wide-ranging competitive balance review. – Callum Twomey

Owies… Played every game this year, a starting 18 player. Carltons third leading goal kicker again with 21 goals so far…

If we let him walk, just for the sake of a list spot, then that’d be pretty bad list management…

I doubt we let him walk for a list spot. If he goes it will be about $ and nothing to do with us not valuing him or vice versa.

For us he is a 12-18 player, and we can't afford to pay him as somebody more than that. If another club offers him 5-10 player money, we can't match it. He'll need to decide what's more important.

Obviously,, I hope we keep him.

Our small forwards aren't too bad afterall
They were never that bad, their impact was limited by low frequency & quality looks.
Punish the teams that seek to double H or C, it leaves players open.
When we look to Owies etc they've shown they can hit the scoreboard & hold the defence accountable.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back