List Mgmt. 2024 List Mismanagement and Trading Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Not convinced Draper is an upgrade on ROB. Would argue he is the most like for like unco player in the league.

Would be a very hard pass from me

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I would like a change from Rob but not for Draper.
If half the personalities in here calling for him had to watch him for a year this place would explode.
Incredibly frustrating 1/10 brilliant to average ratio and goes missing for long periods. Imo.

I mean, I would assume it's inarguable that our lack of experience has in some way contributed to our results this year.

And they obviously know that, judging by their off season efforts to bring in mature first 18 players.

Seems a strange thing to argue about.
Im not sure this fits the clubs narrative early in the year when they said all we needed was to hit the trade hard and we would do so aggressively

Zero Hanger June https://www.zerohanger.com/five-trade-targets-for-every-afl-team-adelaide-crows-151516/

Adelaide have flagged they'll be aggressive in their recruitment approach come the 2024 trade and free agency period as they look to take the next step toward premiership contention.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2024/02...sive-trade-period-approach-to-continue-after/

Tim Silvers in February

“We got Chris Burgess in as a bit of key position depth and we’ll be aggressive over the next 12 months and hopefully top up our list, but internally we do think we’ve got the makings of a terrific list.

We’ve got some terrific young players. We’ve got some kids who are developing and we hope they can take the next step and hopefully hurdle us towards finals.”

I should also note that removing Sloane from Adelaide's list (given that he retired without playing a game) significantly reduces both our average age & experience, compared to the Draft Guru list.

Removing Sloane from the list reduces our average age from 24.2 to 24.0 years, and our average experience from 58.8 games per player to just 54.4.

Only Norf have a list which is both younger & less experienced.
And Smith, it would have been better if he didn't "play" the first half of the season after that first round against GCS further reducing the average age.

IMO our biggest list issue is the 100 game gap we've had for years - only 2-3 players spanning 100 games.
R2 2024 Keays (114) to Laird (225) - 111 game difference (had Crouch on 144 in between)
R1 2023 Keays (91) to Laird (203) - 112 game difference.
R1 2022 Keays (69) to Brown (179) - 110 game (also had Crouch)

Lately IMO we've brought (and bought!) a lot of players in, and managed to retain most of them. ANB will reduce that void nicely.
Cumming, Rankine, Milera and Jones will hopefully hit the 100 game milestone this year, and the 50-150 game spread will be a lot more even.

I can see us fielding 10+ 100 game players in R1 2025. I suspect that may be a first for Nicks.

For us to make a meaningful step forward, we need to actually develop some players into A graders (and a support cast of B graders). We relied heavily on Tex, Laird, etc and now they are all just about done.

We know about the drafts that didn't work out (2015-19) and that is hurting us, but we seem to have done well from 2021 onwards. Hopefully Max, Worrell, Soligo, Rachele, Taylor, Curtin and Thilthorpe take big steps forward next year.
We need at least two of those guys to become A-graders next year to make a significant jump, IMO (i.e. Thilthorpe 50 goals and Soligo 28 touches a game). As well as continued development from the 2022 and beyond guys

Having Nicks will still put a cap on what we can become while he's here, but I'm still very hopeful for the medium-to-long term, as long as green shoots from the draftees of the last five years continue to show

We need at least two of those guys to become A-graders next year to make a significant jump, IMO (i.e. Thilthorpe 50 goals and Soligo 28 touches a game). As well as continued development from the 2022 and beyond guys

Having Nicks will still put a cap on what we can become while he's here, but I'm still very hopeful for the medium-to-long term, as long as green shoots from the draftees of the last five years continue to show
Nicks and Burns?

I can see us fielding 10+ 100 game players in R1 2025. I suspect that may be a first for Nicks.
Given the quality of some of our 100+ gamers I’d be hoping for a few less than 10

Walker 278 games
Smith 262 games
Laird 247 games
(wishful thinking)
Neal-Bullen 176 games
Crouch 158 games
Keays 136 games
Dawson 131 games
O'Brien 121 games
Murphy 115 games
Fogarty 102 games

Remove this Banner Ad