List Mgmt. 2024 List Mismanagement and Trading Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

We aren't likely to push Laird out, but we should seriously be considering it. Pay his salary & get a decent pick.
With 2 years left on his contract, on the coin that's being suggested here - there's no way we'd be able to include that in our 2024 salary cap. Paying him out just isn't an option.

** Not saying I wouldn't like to see it happen - but the reality is that it's just not possible.

We all agree that there won’t be many offers for players in our list that we would entertain … but will there be inquiries?

Rachele not going to get any sneaky clubs asking the question? Hawthorn perhaps?

Berry not going to see better opportunities elsewhere now we have Peatling to possibly push out him from the midfield rotation?

Worrell another I’d hate to see targeted by a big Victorian club.

Laird / Tex as a last shot at a flag scenario?

Just spit balling - I would think it strange if no other club even asks for ANY of our players.
You don't think Rachele is getting offers after what the public has perceived him as "gettable"? I say he is getting offers but it hasn't gone beyond his management engaging with the club as he doesn't want it to get anywhere so there has been no leak from the interested club or his management.

We all agree that there won’t be many offers for players in our list that we would entertain … but will there be inquiries?

Rachele not going to get any sneaky clubs asking the question? Hawthorn perhaps?

Berry not going to see better opportunities elsewhere now we have Peatling to possibly push out him from the midfield rotation?

Just spit balling - I would think it strange if no other club even asks for ANY of our players.

Reckon there could be a nibble at Sholl.

With 2 years left on his contract, on the coin that's being suggested here - there's no way we'd be able to include that in our 2024 salary cap. Paying him out just isn't an option.

** Not saying I wouldn't like to see it happen - but the reality is that it's just not possible.
Huh?

We are already paying for him.

Just backfill with a new draftee.

Huh?

We are already paying for him.

Just backfill with a new draftee.
If we delist him now, and pay him out, his 2025 & 2026 salaries have to be included in our 2024 salary cap. If his salary is around $850K per year (as has been suggested), we'd need to fit an extra $1.7M in the 2024 cap. That's just not feasible.

Yes, we're already paying him - but now his 2025 salary is in the 2025 cap, and his 2026 salary is in the 2026 cap.

If we delist him now, and pay him out, his 2025 & 2026 salaries have to be included in our 2024 salary cap. If his salary is around $850K per year (as has been suggested), we'd need to fit an extra $1.7M in the 2024 cap. That's just not feasible.

Yes, we're already paying him - but now his 2025 salary is in the 2025 cap, and his 2026 salary is in the 2026 cap.
I said trade him not delist him.

Offer to pay his salary to get a better pick.

Without doing a full list analysis it seems our trading and drafting in the last 4 years has been ALMOST exclusively mids/flankers/3rd talls

2021 - Dawson, Rachele, Soli, Taylor
2022 - Rankine, Max, Dowling, (Keane)
2023 - (Curtin - unlikely proper KPP), Edwards, Ryan
2024 - ANB, CumminG, Peatling, Pick 4 mid, Welsh

Not many proper talls out of the last 15 ND picks if my memory serves me correctly. Ditto for trades.

Didn’t go thru rookies and understand Keane and Murray are in there somewhere but just pointing out our list may be getting somewhat out of balance without looking at bringing in more talls - KPP and ruck - over the next 1-2 periods. That said, we still have an abundance of KPD so it’s mainly KPF (Berg gone, Gollant playing “tall” gone, Tex almost gone) and ruck that perhaps need focusing on again.

Mids surely pretty well covered now - at least quantity wise..

Rankine, Dawson, Soligo, Peatling, Edwards, Dowling, Taylor, Pick 4, Curtin (?), Berry, Shoey, and Crouch and ideally Peds and Rachele.

Why would anyone take him? More to the point, why would he agree to be traded?
As I said in my 1st post, we are not a club that forces out players but we should consider it with Laird.

He still has value for other clubs but we would need to pay part/all his salary to make it worth their while.

Some nice additions to the list but really feel we need to target a ruckman to start developing them.

After Rob and Strachan who are both 29, we've only got Toby Murray as a fwd/ruck and Thilthorpe. I assume Thillthorpe is seen as a forward so unless Murray is the answer, it's a glaring issue that needs to be addressed.

Also feel like guys such as Cook, Schoenberg and Jones should be exploring their options - barring injuries, I find it hard to imagine them getting many games next season. Cook is an alright player however doesn't find much of it and I think there's quite a bit of competition for a potential position in the side with the likes of Curtain and Walsh.

Without doing a full list analysis it seems our trading and drafting in the last 4 years has been ALMOST exclusively mids/flankers/3rd talls

2021 - Dawson, Rachele, Soli, Taylor
2022 - Rankine, Max, Dowling, (Keane)
2023 - (Curtin - unlikely proper KPP), Edwards, Ryan
2024 - ANB, CumminG, Peatling, Pick 4 mid, Welsh

Not many proper talls out of the last 15 ND picks if my memory serves me correctly. Ditto for trades.

Didn’t go thru rookies and understand Keane and Murray are in there somewhere but just pointing out our list may be getting somewhat out of balance without looking at bringing in more talls - KPP and ruck - over the next 1-2 periods. That said, we still have an abundance of KPD so it’s mainly KPF (Berg gone, Gollant playing “tall” gone, Tex almost gone) and ruck that perhaps need focusing on again.

Mids surely pretty well covered now - at least quantity wise..

Rankine, Dawson, Soligo, Peatling, Edwards, Dowling, Taylor, Pick 4, Curtin (?), Berry, Shoey, and Crouch and ideally Peds and Rachele.
you forgot Bond in 2022.

Some nice additions to the list but really feel we need to target a ruckman to start developing them.

After Rob and Strachan who are both 29, we've only got Toby Murray as a fwd/ruck and Thilthorpe. I assume Thillthorpe is seen as a forward so unless Murray is the answer, it's a glaring issue that needs to be addressed.

Also feel like guys such as Cook, Schoenberg and Jones should be exploring their options - barring injuries, I find it hard to imagine them getting many games next season. Cook is an alright player however doesn't find much of it and I think there's quite a bit of competition for a potential position in the side with the likes of Curtain and Walsh.

We do have Toby Murray on our list and at 201cm with his athletes and competitiveness he has huge upside.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You don't think Rachele is getting offers after what the public has perceived him as "gettable"? I say he is getting offers but it hasn't gone beyond his management engaging with the club as he doesn't want it to get anywhere so there has been no leak from the interested club or his management.

He won’t be getting offers - maybe enquiries from other clubs about if he’s happy.

Despite all the noise - he absolutely loves the club, city, teammates and he’s really tight with Nicks

People will se next year being dropped will be the making of him as a player and a leader at AFC

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think Berry would know if there's any interest, and he wouldn't have so quickly signed if there was.

I don't see any players that other clubs would contemplate. Maybe Nank?

Is that an indictment on our list - we don’t have many good players around the edges pushing for selection .. OR something else?
It would be an interesting exercise for our list management team to put all of our players on the block and see who receives offers

Look, there's probably a bunch that would get offers. But they're contracted and we want to keep them.

I'm not really sure which players we'd be okay with pushing out the door, that also have value.

Laird and ROB seem unrealistic and not how the club actually feels. Sholl? Taylor? Butts?

I’d look at trading Sholl where his value would be at the moment.

Look, there's probably a bunch that would get offers. But they're contracted and we want to keep them.

I'm not really sure which players we'd be okay with pushing out the door, that also have value.

Laird and ROB seem unrealistic and not how the club actually feels. Sholl? Taylor? Butts?

If we're doing purely hypothetical but slightly plausible trades, I'd also mention Jones and Pedlar. Plus there's some chance Borlase and Berry might be looking for more minutes.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Mismanagement and Trading Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back