List Mgmt. 2024 List Mismanagement and Trading Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Scott Welsh had a underrated knack of getting free of his opponent in a crowded forward line. I look forward to seeing is Tyler is as creative as his old man in that regard.

I feel like he looks more gifted in terms of that power/explosiveness. Fingers crossed he can couple that with some inherited forward craft. Could be a fun combination in time.
Less footy IQ and nuance but more brute power and speed is my read after watching live a few times

The narrative from Gold Coast regarding their pick 12/13 is interesting, "We're keen to deal with the clubs that we're trying to find some players from. That would be our first preference," Gold Coast list manager Craig Cameron.

To me, this confirms that the only reason we got pick 13 last year was because we were willing to take Burgess, the trade that was Burgess+14 for 23+26 - which rates Burgess at 43.

While 43 is overs for Burgess, it extracted pick 14 which of course was bundled up for Curtin, giving Burgess value beyond his own.
Yeah, I reckon Port will get pick 23 & Luko for their first rounder next year

Thats true & the game has changed so much it really is hard to compare. If you could take them and plug them into FF in todays game, how do you think they'd go? Not kicking bags of 10 like the good ole' days, but still Coleman contenders yearly I think.
Just watched a clip of Dunstall on Ablett - or the other way round - and its the delivery

Yes there is less crowding and you backed your defender to win the contest or halve it - but quick delivery is the key. Quick precise delivery

Jarman hit Dunstall on the lead , Plugger used his strength to create a path and Carey outmarked and outworked most defenders

Too much chess played by checkers coaches today

Just watched a clip of Dunstall on Ablett - or the other way round - and its the delivery

Yes there is less crowding and you backed your defender to win the contest or halve it - but quick delivery is the key. Quick precise delivery

Jarman hit Dunstall on the lead , Plugger used his strength to create a path and Carey outmarked and outworked most defenders

Too much chess played by checkers coaches today

Last edited:
Interesting convo on FF heights and how its shifted. I've been wondering for a while whether the shift towards these giants as permanent FFs is actually benefitting teams as much as they think it is.

Or is it just getting a bunch of super tall, bad kickers more shots on goals then they really deserve.

You think to the top 10 goalkickers in history, and they are almost exclusively super talented, mid sized, leading players.
Lockett: 191cm
Coventry: 183cm
Dunstall: 188cm
Franklin: 199cm
Wade: 188cm
Ablett: 185cm
Titus: 175cm
Lloyd: 192cm
Mathews: 178cm
McKenna 191cm

Go further down the list and the really tall players start to pop up a bit, but perhaps its time for a renaissance for the mid size full forward (who can actually kick straight).

Top ten goalkickers in history???

Some of these rate higher

Farmer 183cm
Robertson 182cm
Tyson 177cm
T. Evans 189cm
Doig 173cm
Naylor 188cm

Farmer 183cm
Robertson 182cm
Tyson 177cm
T. Evans 189cm
Doig 173cm
Naylor 188cm
Top 20 goal kickers this year:
Hogan 195cm
J Cameron 196cm
Daniher 201cm
Curnow 194cm (191cm draft year)
B King 202cm
Waterman 192cm
McKay 200cm
Larkey 198cm
Stengle 175cm
Treacy 195cm
Greene 182cm
C Cameron 180cm
Gioriades 192cm
Langford 192cm
Amarty 195cm
JUH 197cm
Stringer 192cm
Fogarty 194cm
Fritsch 188cm
Hayward 186cm

There's definitely room for a 192cm mobile forward.

Farmer 183cm
Robertson 182cm
Tyson 177cm
T. Evans 189cm
Doig 173cm
Naylor 188cm
This has to be taken in context of the times and opponents

As an example David Dench - considered to be one of the FBs of the Century - stood at 191cm as was Silvagni

And Colin Casey on Evans was 193cm

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Mismanagement and Trading Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back