Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

I've deleted confirmed information

Rumors from September 30
  • FiveAA claims we are after Scott Borlace, current Head of Development at Brisbane (link)
  • Claims of Rory Sloane heading to Melbourne Demons as a development coach, but maybe not before asking for a job at the Crows first?
  • Inside Trading suggests we are interested in Gold Coast's pick 12 (link)
  • Inside Trading also suggests Clayton Oliver is possibly back on the trade table, but doesn't link him to any specific clubs

Rumors from October 1
  • We have offered Darcy Fogarty a five year contract extension early ahead of free agency (link)
  • We are attempting to lure Graham Wright to our football department (link)

Rumors from October 2-3
  • Graham Wright, who we are chasing as a head of football, is also being chased by Carlton for a CEO position (link)

Rumors from October 4-5
  • Gettable claiming pick 25 for Neal-Bullen and a future 2nd for Peatling (link)

Rumors from October 6
  • Tom Morris claims we are open to splitting pick 4 (link)

Rumor summary October 8
  • Jon Ralph claims we are not prepared to use a future 2nd on Peatling (link)

Rumor summary October 9
  • Graham Wright will not join Adelaide, instead taking up the Carlton CEO role (link)
  • Tom Morris claims the Peatling trade will involve future 2nd and 3rd round picks, and we have offered him a four year deal at about $600k per season (link)
  • Riley Beveridge claims we asked GWS if they were interested in one of our players in the Peatling trade (link)

Last edited:

Just getting ANB in the door for pick 28 would’ve been a fail when it came to the ‘being aggressive’ side of things, but that doesn’t mean he in isolation isn’t a very good get

ANB for pick 28 in my view is overs. Most players around his age and experience fall for a bit less. We probably should have used that pick on Peatling and pushed the AnB trade for a future 3rd.

But, based on his desire to come home and understanding there are some personal circumstances involved this has a vibe of being the good Samaritan about it and just getting the deal done quickly.

10000% this.

I dont know what it is that brought on the over rating, was it people just heard he is a best 22 player at Melbourne and just assumed. He is a role player at the top of his game and nothing more. But the way some have carried on youd think he won like 5 Brownlows or something.
I'd hope the people who have posted their opinion on ANB have done so having watched him play for the Demons over the past few years. He's been a good to very good player in a side that was a contender for a few years, and he would have noticeable impact in most games. I'd suggest the people claiming he's not that great or putting a huge focus on his age and writing him off have barely watched him play.

ANB for pick 28 in my view is overs. Most players around his age and experience fall for a bit less. We probably should have used that pick on Peatling and pushed the AnB trade for a future 3rd.

But, based on his desire to come home and understanding there are some personal circumstances involved this has a vibe of being the good Samaritan about it and just getting the deal done quickly.
I’ve said this a few times, but I see ANB’s value as 30-35. Now if we were giving up 25 and it wasn’t dropping down the order due to FA comp/academy bids I would’ve been pretty disappointed, but given that pick will end up as 32-ish, I’m not really bothered

And yeah, seems like we wanted to do this one in good faith. Seems to be a theme this trade period, Reid has mentioned ‘good faith’ when talking about the Peatling deal lol

Can't believe the overating of ANB, he's the dictionary definition of a role player. Had a great year, in an effective contract year, for a club that fell off a cliff and seems to be in serious cultural trouble. He was 9th and a long way off the leaders in coaches votes, showing that his b&f outcome was largely driven by the role playing component. He's definitely an improvement on our best 23, but he's not going to be a major difference maker abd won't be involved in our next preliminary final.

What an odd thing to say.

I'd hope the people who have posted their opinion on ANB have done so having watched him play for the Demons over the past few years. He's been a good to very good player in a side that was a contender for a few years, and he would have noticeable impact in most games. I'd suggest the people claiming he's not that great or putting a huge focus on his age and writing him off have barely watched him play.

I have seen lots of him. Being labelled a role player at the top of your game is still an A grader. Its not the insult you think it is. He is the type of player though you have around your star players. Look at every metric, he isnt a top 50 player in any of them. Which means he is a role player. Basically Murphy plays his exact role, but Murphy is a d grader. AnB is an A grader and we should see a notable difference as AnB will likely go clutch and kick vital goals or at least set up many as the match wears on instead of disappearing with pressure like Murphy did.

Richmond’s list manager hasn’t taken long to succeed Dodoro as the biggest flog of trade week.

Some serious overrating of players up for trade. I know the market dictates the price but in a strong draft, no player is worth more than one first rounder. IMO…

Bolton - mid first
Rioli - mid first
Baker - second
Houston - top 10 pick

I’ve said this a few times, but I see ANB’s value as 30-35. Now if we were giving up 25 and it wasn’t dropping down the order due to FA comp/academy bids I would’ve been pretty disappointed, but given that pick will end up as 32-ish, I’m not really bothered

And yeah, seems like we wanted to do this one in good faith. Seems to be a theme this trade period, Reid has mentioned ‘good faith’ when talking about the Peatling deal lol

Probably got his players confused.

But we always seem to want to be the good guys at the trade table. No one does it for us when a player leaves however, but we basically merely ask other recruiters to use lube during the negotiation as they have their way with us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But we always seem to want to be the good guys at the trade table. No one does it for us when a player leaves however, but we basically merely ask other recruiters to use lube during the negotiation as they have their way with us.
Ehh, maybe. The only outgoing player deals since the GF loss where I’d say we got robbed are Greenwood and Keath

Richmond’s list manager hasn’t taken long to succeed Dodoro as the biggest flog of trade week.

Some serious overrating of players up for trade. I know the market dictates the price but in a strong draft, no player is worth more than one first rounder. IMO…

Bolton - mid first
Rioli - mid first
Baker - second
Houston - top 10 pick

Houston is a late first rounder early 2nd at best. Bolton is a 2nd rounder, Rioli a pick in the 20s, baker a late 2nd rounder. None of those players are a first rounder.

Market value should be dictated on the quality of the draft and it usually is. In this draft where the top 12 is so undecided and the depth from what I understand to be phenomenal, then gifting up a first rounder for any player is an extraordinarily high price to pay. Youd want a bonafide star in return for a first rounder this draft even in the late teens as sliders will and always do occur.

i didn't mean pick 4. there is a rumour on here that we have a 4th target to be announced tomorrow

I know that. Im just stating that as in general because Geelong want him and I think a 1st rounder is absurd for Oliver now and when it comes with his pay, screw that. Geelong would have to be morons.

Funnily enough I see Port being more than desperate enough to go him though.

You mean like this?

1728471774939.png

I know that. Im just stating that as in general because Geelong want him and I think a 1st rounder is absurd for Oliver now and when it comes with his pay, screw that. Geelong would have to be morons.

Funnily enough I see Port being more than desperate enough to go him though.
nothing would surprise me on port

i know its a pipe dream but we should try to send smith off to port. replace houston, was port supporter as kid so we can get an extra list spot

Geez, would have been nice to have not wilted and paid 28 straight up for a 29 year old role player. Getting a F3 back would be handy right about now.

What if Melbourne were clear they weren’t giving anything back?

How were we getting their contracted player then?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

nothing would surprise me on port

i know its a pipe dream but we should try to send smith off to port. replace houston, was port supporter as kid so we can get an extra list spot

Thats not the worst idea. Smith is unlikely to play AFL level next year. But the way we seem to be working our list is maximizing our depth levels. Which is fine, our depth is essentially trash thanks to our coach. So building it up is a priority. Smith, Schoenberg and even Cook are 3 players I think who would be smart at trying to find a club for opportunities.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back