List Mgmt. 2024 List Mismanagement and Trading Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

in a world where NWM was coming back to SA, Port would be in a much better position to snag him, as Bergman would be part of the trade. Bergman and Port’s future first perhaps gets its done. Bergman WILL leave next year.
Butters may be on the move potentially?

Again, being uncontracted and staying in Vic after an ACL and refusing to do a medical for another club is a completely different scenario to a 22 year old with no injury history an elite half back in the comp - hoping to get to an SA club who won’t be in the bottom handful of sides.

Do you see the difference here?

Hawthorn offered pick 4 12 months earlier and it was turned down as not enough.
THE biggest factor in getting the premium you are sprouting is the player being contracted.

Using contracted players as examples is a complete nonsense!

Not many 22 year old stars get traded.

It’s not a common situation
The precedent is right in front of our eyes - Rankine got traded for pick 5 a couple of years back. We won’t have a pick that high again I think so it’ll be more than one first

Jackson from Freo was traded for two firsts, as well

Don’t confuse me. I believe a deal will get done and I’m sure it won’t be a specific club he nominates. It will be best deal for us that gets him home.

But there will be a serious premium on either player.

Pick 4 (or player selected)+ Rachele/Curtain type of premium (player and something else back your way)
Lol..i love the humor in that post..well done

THE biggest factor in getting the premium you are sprouting is the player being contracted.

Using contracted players as examples is a complete nonsense!
And I’m trying to point out to you that the threat of walking him through the draft isn’t a reality.

No club is going to let him get to you. There are no injury concerns.
The precedent is right in front of our eyes - Rankine got traded for pick 5 a couple of years back. We won’t have a pick that high again I think so it’ll be more than one first

Jackson got p13 a future first and a future second.

I’m saying the basis of any trade will be potentially any kid not named Sid Draper that you take with p4.

2025 is a highly compromised draft at this point. That is why clubs are trying to trade out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It isn’t a lot to hang onto.

It’s a highly compromised draft next year with FS and Academy picks in the first round.

Do you think Richmond North West Coast Essendon etc all clubs who WILL finish below either SA side - pass on a star?

I’m trying to be respectful to your board here when I point this out. But it isn’t the same as the Smith scenario. He won’t be going through any draft and money isn’t going to be a factor to get clubs to overlook him.

If Nas left. It will be a trade and it will cost a lot.

Again, if you take a vic boy at 4 next month. That would be the centre piece. But it will be more than that.
Nope, if he wants home you won't have a lot of bargaining power especially if he names a SA club whether it be the Crows or Powa. Different story if he was a Victorian.... he's not.

If NWM hasn't put pen to paper by mid season 2025 be worried, be very worried.

And I’m trying to point out to you that the threat of walking him through the draft isn’t a reality.

I’m saying the basis of any trade will be potentially any kid not named Sid Draper that you take with p4.

2025 is a highly compromised draft at this point. That is why clubs are trying to trade out.
And you would be wrong, unless that pick 4 requests a trade to VIC next season

Nope, if he wants home you won't have a lot of bargaining power especially if he names a SA club whether it be the Crows or Powa. Different story if he was a Victorian.... he's not.

If NWM hasn't put pen to paper by mid season 2025 be worried, be very worried.
I’m of the opinion he is going home - be it next off season or at restricted free agency.

But where we disagree and it will be the same for the saints fan base is that it isn’t going to be some simple trade where you walk away with an absolute star next off season for 1 draft pick and scraps because he is out of contract.

I’m very much of the opinion that if you don’t take Sid Draper because Carlton does. Who you do take will be the centrepiece of the trade that lands your NWM.

And you would be wrong, unless that pick 4 requests a trade to VIC next season
That’s fine mate. As I said. Your board and I’m not going to argue with you guys.

But if he does leave in 12 months. You will see that it isn’t going to play out the way a number of posters here feel like it will.

(Effectively turning your 2025 1st into NWM on its own)

I don't rate NWM as highly as Rankine, JHF or Jackson.

I think what we hold would have a major impact on the trade. If we held pick 8 to 10, that would be the deal. If we hold a higher pick, we'd get something back (either in the deal or by splitting the pick). If we hold 11 or later, we likely give up a 3rd or 2nd.

But comparable historical trades say it wouldn't cost us 2x1sts, even if objectively he's worth it (which I don't think he is).

That’s fine mate. As I said. Your board and I’m not going to argue with you guys.

But if he does leave in 12 months. You will see that it isn’t going to play out the way a number of posters here feel like it will.

(Effectively turning your 2025 1st into NWM on its own)
I mean it clearly won’t be just one first, I’ll say that

Just that it’s incredibly rare that other players are involved in these kind of trades

Who is threatening to walk him into the preseason draft? That's a rarity, but the reality is you will not get a premium for an uncontracted player.

Jackson is a key forward/ruckman, so hardly a comparable player. Freo were desperate for him & paid overs.

The reality is you will not get a premium for an uncontracted player.

Houston didn't even fetch what Port were warning & he was contracted & dual AA.

I’m of the opinion he is going home - be it next off season or at restricted free agency.

But where we disagree and it will be the same for the saints fan base is that it isn’t going to be some simple trade where you walk away with an absolute star next off season for 1 draft pick and scraps because he is out of contract.

I’m very much of the opinion that if you don’t take Sid Draper because Carlton does. Who you do take will be the centrepiece of the trade that lands your NWM.
Whoever we take at #4 will be still under contract & I'm sure we will prefer to keep them!

The less you resist, the easier it will be for you to accept that he is gone.

Our 2025 1st will be a decent pick, even if we make the 8.

I mean it clearly won’t be just one first, I’ll say that

Just that it’s incredibly rare that other players are involved in these kind of trades

Whoever we take at #4 will be still under contract & I'm sure we will prefer to keep them!

The less you resist, the easier it will be for you to accept that he is gone.

Our 2025 1st will be a decent pick, even if we make the 8.
There will be a player involved and it’s likely you are just babysitting pick 4 - if Carlton take Draper.

We have been clear that we have been focusing on the draft and this year would be 4 consecutive years of that focus and we are looking to trade our 2025 first into this draft aswell.

NWM
Phillipou
Wilson
Collard
P7+P8
potentially our 2025F1 into another 2024 first

And Owens

All taken in that 4 year block (including this year)

Losing NWM for a first just won’t be what we are looking to do when we have a plethora of cap space and want to move from picks to players.

I’m trying to give you perspective. I think Nas is gettable. No illusions here.

There will be a player involved and it’s likely you are just babysitting pick 4 - if Carlton take Draper.

We have been clear that we have been focusing on the draft and this year would be 4 consecutive years of that focus and we are looking to trade our 2025 first into this draft aswell.

NWM
Phillipou
Wilson
Collard
P7+P8
potentially our 2025F1 into another 2024 first

And Owens

All taken in that 4 year block (including this year)

Losing NWM for a first just won’t be what we are looking to do when we have a plethora of cap space and want to move from picks to players.

I’m trying to give you perspective. I think Nas is gettable. No illusions here.
You've been very reasonable, except for the ludicrous insistence that the (VIC) player selected with this year's draft pick will be involved. In what world does a team draft a top player as a downpayment on anyone after one year? Unheard of. Anything other than that, I'll listen to.

For example, if we draft Draper, what do you suggest?

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Mismanagement and Trading Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back