List Mgmt. 2024 List Mismanagement and Trading Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

You've been very reasonable, except for the ludicrous insistence that the (VIC) player selected with this year's draft pick will be involved. In what world does a team draft a top player as a downpayment on anyone after one year? Unheard of. Anything other than that, I'll listen to.

For example, if we draft Draper, what do you suggest?
No idea mate.

But if NWM was traded 2 weeks ago you would have paid pick 4 at a minimum. So what’s the difference if we take that player in 12 months if he is a Vic kid?

No idea mate.

But if NWM was traded 2 weeks ago you would have paid pick 4 at a minimum. So what’s the difference if we take that player in 12 months if he is a Vic kid?
For one reason only he's contracted.

There will be a player involved and it’s likely you are just babysitting pick 4 - if Carlton take Draper.

We have been clear that we have been focusing on the draft and this year would be 4 consecutive years of that focus and we are looking to trade our 2025 first into this draft aswell.

NWM
Phillipou
Wilson
Collard
P7+P8
potentially our 2025F1 into another 2024 first

And Owens

All taken in that 4 year block (including this year)

Losing NWM for a first just won’t be what we are looking to do when we have a plethora of cap space and want to move from picks to players.

I’m trying to give you perspective. I think Nas is gettable. No illusions here.
Lalor, FOS, Draper and Langford are my top 4 rankings. And Vic country kids don't go home. So, we won't be "babysitting" any of those.

And whatever player we pick at 4 this year will have more impact on our future success than NWM or Philipou.

Phillipou is probably more of a "nice to have" than a need now. He projects to sit below pick 4, Rankine, Dawson, Soligo, Curtin (if he plays mid) and we also have Edwards, Dowling and Taylor coming through.

NWM is very good, and I'd like him. Just not as much as this year's pick or more than one of our Future firsts.

Now if you offered NWM and your future 1st for our pick 4, I'd be tempted. But I'd probably politely knock it back. We need that gun mid.

Edit: forgot Peatling coming through also.

And he is a star.
Settle down he's a very nice player that may one day be a star but he ain't there yet. These "star" ëlite"""generational talent words get thrown around a lot, not many players reach that status.

No idea mate.

Because that kid will be under contract & neither party may want him to leave.

They're clearly blinded by the numbers

We're inexperienced overall in terms of games played so they didn't want to let Smith go. Were happy to keep him, even though they know he's declining.

The thing is, our inexperience is exaggerated. Worrell for instance is a mature body, calm head. That's experience. He doesn't have games played though, for various factors (injuries and our ineptitude).

Hinge has had injuries and couldn't break into a stronger Brisbane side early. Doesn't give us significant games played but is experienced by any meaningful measure.

A bunch of our players have fewer games played than they should because we've selected cautiously in previous years (we don't now pleasingly) and dicked around with duds for years who we've since moved past.

We don't differentiate between "games played" and the mature, calming influence that experience supposedly provides. Max for instance displays surety under pressure that you want your leaders to show. Old head, young shoulders. We don't have faith that he can fill the Smith leadership void.

What does experience look like on field? We only see the numbers
I think the inexperience factor really ends this year.

We may still be slightly at the younger end, but we have folks on every line who have been in the system for long enough. It's not an excuse any more.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Mismanagement and Trading Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back