List Mgmt. 2024 List Mismanagement and Trading Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

There were whispers Port were keen. He’s a KPD who’s stepped up every time he’s been given a shot, so he’d have suitors. Some clubs are pretty strapped for them. We have 5 and on the list and play 3 so no issue signing him on. Going into the season with only 4 would make me nervous.
He is on the Rookie list. I don’t get why it bother people so much?

He is on the Rookie list. I don’t get why it bother people so much?
If he is on the rookie list why sign him early?

I am bothered because we once again highlight our lack of thinking and flexibility. Its a '' fill the spots '' management style - which is fine in moments but struggles to be flexible

I mentioned in June we need to be careful about our signings as we needed to keep our options open

And then we sign deadwood after deadwood

If he is on the rookie list why sign him early?

I am bothered because we once again highlight our lack of thinking and flexibility. Its a '' fill the spots '' management style - which is fine in moments but struggles to be flexible

I mentioned in June we need to be careful about our signings as we needed to keep our options open

And then we sign deadwood after deadwood
Theme of the season.. we did it with our coach too. No need to rush, 1 bad game and they quickly announce a contract extension to our utter horror. Then they sign up players mid year when we are coming into a very strong draft.

Still, I am not complaining about getting Peatling, Cumming and ANB - we have done well there and pick 4 should be a home run in this draft and Welsh is a project with a high ceiling. I suppose just 1 more list spot for a ruck would have made it a great end of season trade / draft period.

There were whispers Port were keen. He’s a KPD who’s stepped up every time he’s been given a shot, so he’d have suitors. Some clubs are pretty strapped for them. We have 5 and on the list and play 3 so no issue signing him on. Going into the season with only 4 would make me nervous.
Powa have had numerous opportunities to grab Borlase and have never showed any interest.

The whispers are a furphy.

Five?

Keane, Murray, Butts.

You counting Worrell? Fair enough if you are but he hasn't played that role much.

And even if we timing was ok, why 2 years? Bond got 1 and he looks much closer to being first choice in his role defender than Borlase. What I'd like to know is do we have the type of convos that Port had with Clurey? Instead of pushing soon to be delisted players out and hopefully getting something back, even if it's just the spot, we just let them wither on the vine. Smith is an exception he's that cooked he's got no choice, nobody would be interested in him. But surely with the 3 players we got in we could have nudged Schoey or Laird or Murphy out the door.
Yes seems strange Borlase getting 2 years as you point out at a premature date as per Drugs. The logical answer is he had interest elsewhere and probably for 2 years. With Keane looking very uncertain then Borlase became a more important signing as we certainly couldn’t afford to lose both.

Now us not being in club land we will never know these facts for sure (not currently anyway) but I would think that’s the most logical explanation. Reid has proven to be a good operator overall, especially in recent years, and most player contracts and trades (and pick swaps) seem competently handled so it’s up to the individual to interpret events and whether they give Reid the benefit of the doubt (I do)

Yes seems strange Borlase getting 2 years as you point out at a premature date as per Drugs. The logical answer is he had interest elsewhere and probably for 2 years. With Keane looking very uncertain then Borlase became a more important signing as we certainly couldn’t afford to lose both.

Now us not being in club land we will never know these facts for sure (not currently anyway) but I would think that’s the most logical explanation. Reid has proven to be a good operator overall, especially in recent years, and most player contracts and trades (and pick swaps) seem competently handled so it’s up to the individual to interpret events and whether they give Reid the benefit of the doubt (I do)
We could have just waited till Keane made a decision before making a decision on Borlase... but this isn't nearly the worst time we have jumped the gun this year!

I think Reid is most likely very good at his job, but I don’t think our list management strategy is flawed. We’ve built a list that is now largely locked in, except for minimum changes, that isn’t a good in hell of finishing top few over multiple years. Things go right and we could spike a year, but we won’t be up for multiple years.

I think Reid is most likely very good at his job, but I don’t think our list management strategy is flawed. We’ve built a list that is now largely locked in, except for minimum changes, that isn’t a good in hell of finishing top few over multiple years. Things go right and we could spike a year, but we won’t be up for multiple years.
Not.with our coaching staff we won't.

Funny you should say that as I was genuinely thinking the exact opposite recently, that we have one of the LONGEST ever premiership windows about to open for us. We have an amazing cohort of 23 and unders (plus 24 yo Rankine), will only lose Tex as an important cog over the next couple of years (with Fog perfectly primed to take over), I imagine excellent salary capacity still to keep bringing in trades (we are near leagues best in recent years and turned a corner on this very important aspect) and banked salary $$ from previous years plus effectively a full hand of draft picks going forward. Next year bring in a new ruck to replace ROB and NWM type and we could be pushing 8+ elite players in our team (Dawson, Rankine, TT, Rachele, Curtin and IMO Murray, Worrell, pick 4, NWM. Fog and Soli B+ or better plus our 3 new recruits all very solid B or better players.)

I think we could contend seriously for the flag from 2026 for a good 7-8 years. I actually think Crows and Suns will be the 2 dominant teams for half a decade from 2026 onwards.

Funny you should say that as I was genuinely thinking the exact opposite recently, that we have one of the LONGEST ever premiership windows about to open for us. We have an amazing cohort of 23 and unders (plus 24 yo Rankine), will only lose Tex as an important cog over the next couple of years (with Fog perfectly primed to take over), I imagine excellent salary capacity still to keep bringing in trades (we are near leagues best in recent years and turned a corner on this very important aspect) and banked salary $$ from previous years plus effectively a full hand of draft picks going forward. Next year bring in a new ruck to replace ROB and NWM type and we could be pushing 8+ elite players in our team (Dawson, Rankine, TT, Rachele, Curtin and IMO Murray, Worrell, pick 4, NWM. Fog and Soli B+ or better plus our 3 new recruits all very solid B or better players.)

I think we could contend seriously for the flag from 2026 for a good 7-8 years. I actually think Crows and Suns will be the 2 dominant teams for half a decade from 2026 onwards.
Please see above post😲

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think a lot rests on Pick 4, the front and back half seem to be in good shape for a few years, injury permitting. A bit more class in the middle to ease the pressure on soligo/rankine/dawson etc would go a long way to elevating the team while thilthorpe comes into his own up forward.

The danger in my mind is how much time for this core group of players ends up being wasted with Nicks.

There have always been rumours about Port wanting him but they have had multiple chances and haven't. They clearly don't rate him

He has had four years in the system and not really improved.

He is lucky to get a 5th and 6th year in my opinion.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Mismanagement and Trading Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back