List Mgmt. 2024 List Mismanagement and Trading

Should the AFC offer Taylor Walker a contract for 2025?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

GIF by South Park

We desperately need elite mids. You don't find a lot of those at pick 13.

Lukosious as a player is fine. Happy to have him. BUT he's not going to make us a premiership contender. He's a bonus, but not really a need.
We need top level mids and then more top level mids. We aren't going to be a serious contender with the likes of Berry in the midfield.

Any trade needs to keep that in mind.
Unless we have pick 1 or 2 next year. We won't be getting Sharp.
Getting in a pick 13 now on top of Lukosius in a position of weakness could be good for our growth over the next 2 years.
Pick 4 will be a mid. Add that pick to Soligo, Curtin, Rankine, Edwards, Dowling and maybe Rachele if he develops there should a good starting point of talent to then target established players next year. I.e. Phillipou?

The problem with drafting again next year is the rebuild will be far too slow and we possibly stay on the bottom for too long, and players become disillusioned enough to leave.

Henry Smith, who we both liked ....has only scored his first AFL game this year ...his 4th year

It takes Ruckmen quite a while ....so most are projects
Henry Smith had done very little ruckwork for WWT U18's even before he was drafted, he was a played almost exclusuively forward, most of the actual rucking he did for WWT was in the forward 50 stoppages to give their ruck a chop out. He was drafted as a Forward/Ruck mostly because he had shown he was an excellent contested mark even though lightly framed.

Why don't we have 3 years to wait? You reckon we've got some sort of window opening over the next 2 years?

So 10 years out of finals?

We have a decent spread of young players to work our way up the ladder now. Pick 4 is an opportunity to fix up what we missed - our midfield whether that is by trade or selection.

But we don’t need to bring in 3-4 draftees this year and next year. We already struggling to fit all our under 21’s in. Next year assume/hope we have less injuries we will have trouble fitting them in anyway. And that’s even with Laird, Murphy , Smith and Tex playing less/ minimal games - and do you see that happening

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Unless we have pick 1 or 2 next year. We won't be getting Sharp.
Getting in a pick 13 now on top of Lukosius in a position of weakness could be good for our growth over the next 2 years.
Pick 4 will be a mid. Add that pick to Soligo, Curtin, Rankine, Edwards, Dowling and maybe Rachele if he develops there should a good starting point of talent to then target established players next year. I.e. Phillipou?

The problem with drafting again next year is the rebuild will be far too slow and we possibly stay on the bottom for too long, and players become disillusioned enough to leave.
It looks like that right now, but let's wait and see what the Victorian kids look like. There is a good chance Sharp ends up pick 5 or 6. You never know.

Meanwhile, Soligo looks like becoming a good mid, but faded badly this year. Curtin? Who knows. Rankine is a pinch hitter. Edwards is unknown at the level. Dowling will become a handy B grade mid. Not an elite level one. Rachele maybe pinch hitting, but I doubt anything more than that. It's not exactly a cast of sure fire hits.

If we don't draft in elite mids, our 'rebuild' will flame out at positions 7-9 on the ladder.

Nothing else (on field) is as important.

So 10 years out of finals?

We have a decent spread of young players to work our way up the ladder now. Pick 4 is an opportunity to fix up what we missed - our midfield whether that is by trade or selection.

But we don’t need to bring in 3-4 draftees this year and next year. We already struggling to fit all our under 21’s in. Next year assume/hope we have less injuries we will have trouble fitting them in anyway. And that’s even with Laird, Murphy , Smith and Tex playing less/ minimal games - and do you see that happening

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

How long we've been out of the finals until this point in time is irrelevant. We are still rebuilding and we need to do it properly. There's right and then fast, we failed this rebuild because we wanted to ascend back to competing for finals ASAP. We needed another couple of years down the bottom to build a proper midfield. Time is not of the essence, 2 more years in the bottom few is what we need.

It looks like that right now, but let's wait and see what the Victorian kids look like. There is a good chance Sharp ends up pick 5 or 6. You never know.

Meanwhile, Soligo looks like becoming a good mid, but faded badly this year. Curtin? Who knows. Rankine is a pinch hitter. Edwards is unknown at the level. Dowling will become a handy B grade mid. Not an elite level one. Rachele maybe pinch hitting, but I doubt anything more than that. It's not exactly a cast of sure fire hits.

If we don't draft in elite mids, our 'rebuild' will flame out at positions 7-9 on the ladder.

Nothing else (on field) is as important.
Pick 4 this year.
Trade next year.
Add that to Dawson, Rankine, Soligo, Curtin and we should have more than enough midfield talent to contend in 2026.

Pick 4 this year.
Trade next year.
Add that to Dawson, Rankine, Soligo, Curtin and we should have more than enough midfield talent to contend in 2026.
Hopefully we have a decent coach and football department by then.

Hopefully we have a decent coach and football department by then.
I keep refreshing my browser every few minutes and have been doing for days now just waiting for the news of Nicks being sacked. I am getting a sore mouse click finger from this. I suspect I could keep doing this for days to come and will still not get the news I want

I dreamt it was the draft last night. We still had pick 4 and in it and picked an 'unknown short player' for pick 4, that was meant to go in the later picks.

Genuinely took me until just now to work out it wasn't real, such is the history and my faith in our club.
Murphy's younger brother..

In: Rosas, Lukosius, GC Pick 6, GC Pick 13
Out: Pick 4, Pick 22 and Future 1st

Noting; this may not be enough for GCS...

Then:
Draft Pick 6 - Draper
Draft Pick 13 - Dodson
Father-Son late picks - Welsh
Somehow get Alex NealeBullen for a packet of tictacs - a trade period like that would work for me.

If we add Rosas, Lukosius, Draper, Dodson, Welsh, Neal-Bullen to the team then I'm alright losing Future 1st 2025, clearing out a few blokes from the list who are fringe and aiming for finals in 2025 and flag 2026-2027.

Don't really need to burn Pick 4 on Draper. He's shaping up as Pick 6-10.
Can't really wait to Pick 22 for Dodson (if the pundits on this forum are right?!)
Rosas would put some pressure on our massive group of fringe forward flankers and might be required permanently in the forward line if Rankine is midfield ongoing.
Neale-Bullen adds a bit of depth to midfield, although he is yet another 180cm or less midfielder.
Lukosius is a 10yr Mid-Forward. Burgess could put some work into him and get him ripped.

Last edited:
It would be funny/ sad if all we ended up with was ANB.

You’d think if the club came out and said “we are going to be very aggressive via trading and free agency” we had some deals locked in early.

However this is the AFC we’re talking about.
You need to understand the beast that is trade week. There are always two clubs involved, negotiations between us and the player, and us and the player's club. It's not like you can take your shopping list and go, "I'll have, you, you and you". We may well have the intentions to be aggressive, but other Clubs can soon put paid the that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not enough for GCS? They're ripping us a new arseh*le.
Nah, I disagree.

Pick 4 & 22 for Pick 6 & 13 basically net each out out
4 & 22 will get Draper but maybe not Dodson
6 & 13 likely gets us both Draper and Dodson

So then the Crows are effectively getting Rosas & Lukosius (straight into our First 18) for a Future 1st Pick. If we make finals in 2025 that's Pick 11+
They're good age to integrate into our squad - Rosas is 23, Lukosius 24.
That's good value IMO.

Nah, I disagree.

So then the Crows are effectively getting Rosas & Lukosius (straight into our First 18) for a Future 1st Pick. If we make finals in 2025 that's Pick 11+
That's good value IMO.
You don't trade down for a "net each other out" deal. You only trade down from the top-5 if you get a Godfather offer - i.e. pick 4 for 6 & 13, without pick 22 being thrown into the bargain.

Rosas has almost no trade value. He's the steak knives in the Luko trade. Luko himself isn't worth a Future 1st, given the salary crunch GCS are facing. The AFL's propaganda machine might be pumping out misinformation to the effect that this isn't a Bowes deal, but it absolutely is. They can't afford to retain Mac Andrew, plus sign Rioli & Noble, if they don't get Luko's $1M per year salary off their books.

I'm dead set against trading pick #4 at all, but assuming we do, I'd be pushing for this:
OUT: Pick 4
IN: Pick 6, Pick 13, Luko (ADL pays his whole salary), Rosas

Nah, I disagree.

That's good value IMO.
Who has got pick 22? we have pick 27 from memory

I'm dead set against trading pick #4 at all, but assuming we do, I'd be pushing for this:
Where can I get some of that A grade grass you're smoking....

Depth Chart, currently. I though this was interesting to see what our depth actually looks like.

TALL DEFENDER
Nick Murray
Josh Worrell
Mark Keane
Jordon Butts
James Borlase

MIDSIZED DEFENDERS
Max Michalanney
Rory Laird
Mitch Hinge
Dan Curtin
Luke Nankervis
Wayne Milera
Hugh Bond
Chayce Jones
Oscar Ryan
Brodie Smith
Will Hamill
Patrick Parnell

MIDFIELDERS
Jordan Dawson
Izak Rankine
Matt Crouch
Jake Soligo
Lachlan Sholl
Sam Berry
Zac Taylor
Billy Dowling
Charlie Edwards
Harry Schoenberg

MIDSIZED FORWARD
Ben Keays
Josh Rachele
Lachlan Murphy
Luke Pedlar
Brayden Cook
Ned McHenry

TALL FORWARD
Riley Thilthorpe
Darcy Fogarty
Taylor Walker
Toby Murray
Chris Burgess
Lachlan Gollant
Elliott Himmelberg

RUCKMAN
Kieran Strachan
Reilly O’Brien
What we aren’t trading in a ready to go ruckman that’s been developed elsewhere? I thought it was easy to do??

I dreamt it was the draft last night. We still had pick 4 and in it and picked an 'unknown short player' for pick 4, that was meant to go in the later picks.

Genuinely took me until just now to work out it wasn't real, such is the history and my faith in our club.
was he from a good family? like the best family there is? did they cook hamish roast lamb with all the trimmings?

You don't trade down for a "net each other out" deal. You only trade down from the top-5 if you get a Godfather offer - i.e. pick 4 for 6 & 13, without pick 22 being thrown into the bargain.

Rosas has almost no trade value. He's the steak knives in the Luko trade. Luko himself isn't worth a Future 1st, given the salary crunch GCS are facing. The AFL's propaganda machine might be pumping out misinformation to the effect that this isn't a Bowes deal, but it absolutely is. They can't afford to retain Mac Andrew, plus sign Rioli & Noble, if they don't get Luko's $1M per year salary off their books.

Why would GC want pick 4 instead of 6 ? Are we going to bid on Leo ? Maybe we should as he’s a very good player

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Mismanagement and Trading

Back