List Mgmt. 2024 List Mismanagement and Trading

Should the AFC offer Taylor Walker a contract for 2025?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like an honest answer from the club why Brodie Grundy and Elijah Hollands aren't currently Crows players. I am sure there was pull from Sydney & Carlton, but I would like to know how hard we tried to get these 2, if we tried at all.
Grundy clearly didn't want SA, otherwise he would have gone to Port.

I think Hollands was never that interested in us. He was interested in being pick one.

What did Sydney do last year, Vader?

And how does that compare to the amount that I proposed?
Sydney did a grand total of three trades involving players last season.

Hawthorn did 6 by my count (and a lot of it was very shrewd in my opinion), so you probably should've used them as your example instead.

How many trades did Collingwood do when they were rebuilding? Richmond, in getting two top level mids? Geelong?

Port did FAR fewer than this the year they got Rozee.

There was ONE major trade in there, for Luko. Other than that, it was some pick shuffles and a couple of free agent signings.

This is the MINIMUM we should expect in the off season. Of course there could be different things - I'm not expecting Luko at all, I'm just pricing that up if he wants to leave - but we should be trading for players and acquiring via free agency this off season.

You guys, unsurprisingly, are stuck two decades ago when clubs barely traded. Clubs doing three or four transactions in an off season isn't news anymore, and clubs doing a range of pick shuffles isn't either.
That’s a long post, I hope (genuinely) that you’re doing ok?

Sydney did a grand total of three trades involving players last season.

Hawthorn did 6 by my count (and a lot of it was very shrewd in my opinion), so you probably should've used them as your example instead.
That fine - I only proposed two trades, and only one of them was a first 18 player.

Sydney traded for three first 18 players.

I believe Hollands is out of contract, went to Carlton on a 1 year deal.

A 1 year deal couldn't have been the best offer on the table, maybe an insight into how keen he was on Carlton.
He actually had a 3 year contract on the table from Carlton @$350K which they withdrew when the drug issue arose, was then obnly offered the 12 month deal. He was always going to Carlton to be with brother Ollie as the family wished.

I feel that the minimum I'd expect in the offseason would be one to two free agent acquisitions and at least one late pick traded for an experienced body.

It sounds like our future first has been on the table as well for the right player, but not sure we get anyone.

I guess that's Perryman/Cumming/English, Daniel/Parker/Graham, and maybe a future second for Moyle (if we don't get English).

There are several more guarantees other than just Sloane and Parnell.

Bond is 100% gone. It’s Ronin O’Connor all over again. Stamped. Gone. Would have house on it.

Gollant is 100% gone. We are selecting Borlase as a forward over him. That’s papers stamped stuff. And no, rightly or wrongly we’re never trying him on a wing or at half back at AFL level. Nicks is too busy fawning over Chayce Jones and Lachie Sholl highlights from the West Coast demolition job to even consider such things.

Himmelberg is 100% leaving as a FA to GWS. We know this. Papers were stamped upon the Toby Murray signing. Life on it.

Nothing else is certain (well it’s a certainty that Brayden Cook will be re-signed, maybe even in the next 7 days for a happy sunshine bye week news story if we’re being serious). But those are all things you can take to the bank.

The main questions are:

1) Is the Smith contract trigger actually a real thing? Has he actually hit the trigger yet, or did we drop him 1-5 games short of it? Will he retire? Will he ever be selected again? Will we offer him a 1 year “good bloke” deal? Will the players vote him into the leadership group again while he plays all of 2025 in the SANFL, outlining the utter nonsense of leadership groups containing cooked players who have no business playing AFL football anymore?

2) Will Tex retire? Does he have the desire to play on? Is his body cooked? Will he be offered a deal at all?

3) Will we inexplicably offer McHenry a 1 year contract? Maybe re-draft as a rookie after delisting Hamill/Borlase style? Maybe cut ties altogether? Would some misguided organisation give up pick 60 for him in a trade or do they actually watch film?

4) Will we try to cash in on Sholl’s “good form”? Would anyone offer Pick 35ish? Or will we offer him a 2 year deal to stay? Sholl really seems like a “2 year deal or trade” situation to me.

5) Will we offer Berry a new deal? Seems virtually inevitable that he’ll be retained as depth to me, but maybe another club thinks they can utilise him better and he requests a trade? His form drop since 2022 has been startling for a player whose form trajectory should be going the opposite way. I can’t see Berry getting any more than a 1 year deal from us, but I suppose there’s a universe where we might offer him two. He’s one of the best tacklers I’ve ever seen in my life, but the rest of his game absolutely stinks. Can a new coach turn Berry into an elite tagger? Such a strange one.

6) Borlase and Hamill fall into a very similar boat to one another. Both rookie list players after being delisted. Both having far better 2024s than really anyone expected. Do both get delisted again? Is one promoted to the senior list? Is one or both re-rookied after another delisting?

7) is Footywire correct, and is Chris Burgess actually out of contract at the end of this year? If so, do we even bother persisting? Personally I don’t believe that we brought him here on a 1 year deal and footywire seems to mess up the contract status of a lot of traded players in their first year at the new club (Soldo and Zerk-Thatcher are supposedly out of contract this year too, which is clearly nonsense).

8) Do we trade any players contracted for 2025? O’Brien to a Vic club once we secure the services of a ruckman with motor skills? Does Rachele sensationally request a trade (just imagine this lol)? Keane to the Pies? Would anyone want Schoenberg (as I typed this, I knew the answer was no)? Jordon Butts to be offered as a trade piece to improve our midfield if Keane is sticking around? Would anyone want Chayce in a trade, and would he want to leave? Send a cooked Laird to North Melbourne to teach them his winning ways?

The offseason is far more interesting than the real season.
Good Summary, I agree with the players listed that will be leaving.

With Mchenry, I am wondering if he is one that we could trade. Would only get a very late pick but there may actually be some interest in him. For some reason he seems to get talked up on Vic radio and they seemed surprised that he is out of favour with us. So maybe he isn't viewed as badly outside the club as he is here. If there is no interest in him then we just have to hope the club has finally come to the realization that he is not going to make it and delists him, or at worst delist and re-rookie.

Good Summary, I agree with the players listed that will be leaving.

With Mchenry, I am wondering if he is one that we could trade. Would only get a very late pick but there may actually be some interest in him. For some reason he seems to get talked up on Vic radio and they seemed surprised that he is out of favour with us. So maybe he isn't viewed as badly outside the club as he is here. If there is no interest in him then we just have to hope the club has finally come to the realization that he is not going to make it and delists him, or at worst delist and re-rookie.
I agree the Vic media often mention McHenry. Not sure how clubs themselves feel, but there's certainly more media interest there than here.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If they still chase Petty with a year to run on his contract they have rocks in their head, not to mention he's hasn't played anything like decent AFL since his foot issues.
If/when Keane leaves, I wouldn't be surprised if they still go after him (albeit, for less than what we previously offered). Maybe a three-way trade between us, Dees, and Pies at the end of the year.

Jones is 100% going to one of the Tassie players. I can see it happening.

So if we can trade him for... anything, then I would. Cos the AFL hates us and we won't get any decent compo.

If McHenry is worth anything at all, then take... whatever we can get.
Chayce isn't worth any decent compo if we're being honest

Funnily enough we are talking about this on our board at the moment.

He's taken some massive strides this year now fully fit, but with Wardlaw the likely pillar of this midfield, Sheezel moving up the ground, LDU (who knows) and McKercher to come back and likely one of Finn O'Sullivan/Josh Smillie coming in, some North fans would be open to it.

Tom is a classy kid with the ball (arguably our best kick inside 50 at the club), he kicks goals, but you can't fit them all in, as is happening with Phillips. You also have to take best available at the draft so are hamstrung in a way at the top by the way the talent pool falls.

How would you as a Crow support feel regarding a trade involving Rachele and Powell?
Would consider along with a swop of firsts 2024

And let's face it they now have a dominant ruck and midfield with Warner and Gulden coming on and Heeney moving in there. It ain't their defence
That’s the point. It is not essential to have a really tall defence to be a good team. Two big defenders and some tallish ones is enough. Most really good teams of recent years don’t play more than 2 really tall defenders. Some play only one.

Edit - Moore, Frampton (!), Murphy 192, Howe 190, Quaynor 180, Maynard 189

Edit #2 - the bigger question for us is who is our Maynard and our Quaynor, not who is our 3rd 195 plus defender

Last edited:
I wonder if our plans for trading out our first has changed seeing as it's now more than likely to be pick 4, less bidding/compo picks. Or does our terrible year make it even more likely that we'll cut it up to access as much mediocre experience that we can get our hands on?
It gives me deep foreboding feelings even thinking about them trading that pick if its top 5 which looks almost certain now on ANYONE other than an A grade mid with years left on their playing days. As it will be a top 5 pick barring some unforeseen spike up the ladder, it should just be quarantined for the draft and get the best mid available at our pick OR if there looks to be a stand out mid or 2, then bundle up our F1 with our pick in the top 5 to try and get that pick to get that mid

It’s baffling how we operate at times and the discussions regarding talent identification or talent development is interesting but could we add another aspect being “lack of realisation “ meaning, why can’t we cut our losses?

Are we not able to make decisions on whether a player has the game to 1. Be dragged out of the SANFL to play and 2. Be dragged out of the AFL?

The following players have had games pumped into them and most watchers of AFL would quite quickly come to the decision that they are not up to it;

Jones 2019-24 - 90 games
McHenry 2020-24 -70 games
Murphy 2018-24. - 106 games

Interesting that Himmelberg has only played 45 games - is that right?

I’m all for giving players a chance to find the pace, pressure etc. of AFL and they do need a string of games but surely anything over 60 as a coach/club you would be able to see the weaknesses in their game and then work on them?

It’s baffling how we operate at times and the discussions regarding talent identification or talent development is interesting but could we add another aspect being “lack of realisation “ meaning, why can’t we cut our losses?

Are we not able to make decisions on whether a player has the game to 1. Be dragged out of the SANFL to play and 2. Be dragged out of the AFL?

The following players have had games pumped into them and most watchers of AFL would quite quickly come to the decision that they are not up to it;

Jones 2019-24 - 90 games
McHenry 2020-24 -70 games
Murphy 2018-24. - 106 games

Interesting that Himmelberg has only played 45 games - is that right?

I’m all for giving players a chance to find the pace, pressure etc. of AFL and they do need a string of games but surely anything over 60 as a coach/club you would be able to see the weaknesses in their game and then work on them?
My concern - which has compounded over the last 8 years? is how diabolical it is trying to rate players in the SANFL?

All fairness to those who dominate but stats are only part of the story

Sometimes ( Dowling/Curtin) they matter and other times ( McHenry/Murphy) they dont

Plus the gulf is too deep in my opinion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back