List Mgmt. 2024 List Mismanagement and Trading

Should the AFC offer Taylor Walker a contract for 2025?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s baffling how we operate at times and the discussions regarding talent identification or talent development is interesting but could we add another aspect being “lack of realisation “ meaning, why can’t we cut our losses?

Are we not able to make decisions on whether a player has the game to 1. Be dragged out of the SANFL to play and 2. Be dragged out of the AFL?

The following players have had games pumped into them and most watchers of AFL would quite quickly come to the decision that they are not up to it;

Jones 2019-24 - 90 games
McHenry 2020-24 -70 games
Murphy 2018-24. - 106 games

Interesting that Himmelberg has only played 45 games - is that right?

I’m all for giving players a chance to find the pace, pressure etc. of AFL and they do need a string of games but surely anything over 60 as a coach/club you would be able to see the weaknesses in their game and then work on them?
I think this has been one of Nicks biggest failing, his ability to judge talent and what's important for team success.
As you say, everyone can see these players aren't up to it, but they keep getting selected.

It's funny that the guys in the sanfl have so much to work on and learn but these perennial underachievers are good to go and maintain their spots in the team

I think this has been one of Nicks biggest failing, his ability to judge talent and what's important for team success.
As you say, everyone can see these players aren't up to it, but they keep getting selected.

It's funny that the guys in the sanfl have so much to work on and learn but these perennial underachievers are good to go and maintain their spots in the team
Add to that the perplexing issue of Nicks and his team eventually [often forced] promoting a player who has been knocking down the door in the SANFL and playing them in a completely different position on the field in the AFL than where they have been excelling.

It’s almost like we are setting them up to fail…

Add to that the perplexing issue of Nicks and his team eventually [often forced] promoting a player who has been knocking down the door in the SANFL and playing them in a completely different position on the field in the AFL than where they have been excelling.

It’s almost like we are setting them up to fail…
It’s a strange one, I don’t think we set them up to fail, I just think he lacks confidence in the younger ones in their preferred position, that falls in line with NFI

I feel that the minimum I'd expect in the offseason would be one to two free agent acquisitions and at least one late pick traded for an experienced body.

It sounds like our future first has been on the table as well for the right player, but not sure we get anyone.

I guess that's Perryman/Cumming/English, Daniel/Parker/Graham, and maybe a future second for Moyle (if we don't get English).

The future first should only be on the table for an elite player. It's likely it could be a top 5 pick again.

Last edited:

Abuse me all you want, but a big part of me would actually be happy for Tex if he got a chance at a premiership next year with a contender. I’d even barrack for them for the year.

What’s happened with Gollant? You think he could make it with more opportunity at a lowly AFL club like NM?
Since you have such a shortage of KPFs, I think he'd be a worthwhile get. I don't think he'll ever be a particularly good player, but he could still potentially be a helpful foil to Larkey for a couple of years. That might also leave lesser opponents for Curtis and Zurharr.

Since you have such a shortage of KPFs, I think he'd be a worthwhile get. I don't think he'll ever be a particularly good player, but he could still potentially be a helpful foil to Larkey for a couple of years. That might also leave lesser opponents for Curtis and Zurharr.
Thanks appreciate the feedback. We are playing Toby Pink at CHF at the minute so don’t have a heap of options.

He has really dropped off though, I guess he is only 22.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks appreciate the feedback. We are playing Toby Pink at CHF at the minute so don’t have a heap of options.

He has really dropped off though, I guess he is only 22.
If I was you I'd offer your 2nd rounder for him. Or a slightly later 2nd if you have one. I think he has shown he can make it at the level.

If I was you I'd offer your 2nd rounder for him. Or a slightly later 2nd if you have one. I think he has shown he can make it at the level.
In what Universe would an uncontracted Lachie Gollant demand a 2nd round pick the way he's currently performing?

It's time to give up on the AFL forward idea and try him in defence as a 3rd tall or even on the wing where he played for the Calder Cannons.

Abuse me all you want, but a big part of me would actually be happy for Tex if he got a chance at a premiership next year with a contender. I’d even barrack for them for the year.

Stock standard senior player without a contract offer strategy. Happened with Tex when he was wanting 2 years a couple of years ago, Sloane did it and Thommo did it too. Typical pressure play from our senior guys on their last legs.

Last edited:
In what Universe would an uncontracted Lachie Gollant demand a 2nd round pick the way he's currently performing?

It's time to give up on the AFL forward idea and try him in defence as a 3rd tall or even on the wing where he played for the Calder Cannons.
Fair enough. I thought he had 1 more year to run on his contract.

Stick standard senior player without a contract offer strategy. Happened with Tex when he was wanting 2 years a couple of years ago, Sloane did it and Thommo did it too. Typical pressure play from our senior guys on their last legs.

I am repeating myself but as much as I love Tex it's time. Sure he can play on and contribute and it might help us finish 10th instead of 14th but we are not moving forward with him in the team.

Sure he adds experience but is it good experience?

I feel like we need a fresh start and voices in the playing group. With Sloane gone the time is right for Tex.

Last edited:
I am repeating myself but as much as I love Tex it's time. Sure he can play on and contribute and it might help us finish 10th instead of 14th but we are not moving forward with him in the team.

I feel like we need a fresh start and voiced in the playing group. With Sloane gone the time is right for Tex.
I'm conflicted but the back injury tends to make me think he probably shouldn't go on. Unless he can get that right between now and next season.

We would need to have a massive offseason for his presence to be worthwhile (I.e. making finals) because we are so far off that it's not funny.

I feel like we need a fresh start and voiced in the playing group. With Sloane gone the time is right for Tex.
I always thought Tex's next step would be coaching in some kind of capacity at the club. At the moment I'd rather him be forwards coach than Burns

I always thought Tex's next step would be coaching in some kind of capacity at the club. At the moment I'd rather him be forwards coach than Burns

I know we will but we shouldn't offer Tex or Sloane a coaching role in any capacity. They need to go and experience something else. Happy to have them back after a few years away.

I know they might want to stay in Adelaide but that's the industry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back