List Mgmt. 2024 List Mismanagement and Trading

Should the AFC offer Taylor Walker a contract for 2025?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

If we use Tex wisely then he can play next year and still be a valuable asset, but he almost needs to play as a decoy taking his defender out of the play to allow more space for TT & Fog. He’ll always draw a quality player given how dangerous he is, so then that allows lesser defenders on TT & Fog which is still to their advantage.

That and give him regular rests throughout the season so he plays 15-18 games.

And what’s the point of that? Is he going to be there doing that when we’re hoping to contend in 3 years. Our future is improved if Tex retires. We might drop a little next year, but TT and Fog need to learn to run the forward 50 without Tex’s influence.

He looked pretty good vs Geelong
Only 12 games into his career so far

Are you sure you're not critical of him because we chose to overlook him?
So you go with crap as usual, he's an athlete, footballer not so much.

Bond has earned himself another year I’d say .

Walker - 1 year
Berry - trade for a second round
Cook - 2 year
Hamill - really hasn’t put a foot wrong this year. Trade for more opportunities or 1 year
McHenry - easy delist
Smith - development coach
Himmelberg - will walk to gws.
Borlase - depth 1 year
Parnell - easy delist
Sholl - 2 year
Bond - 1 year
Gollant - trade for more opportunities or 1 year
Sloane : retired

List vacancies
Main: Berry
McHenry
Smith
Himmelberg
Sloane
Gollant

Rookies
Parnell

In;
First round : best mid with pace
Second round : wing with pace that is able to hit the scoreboard
Welsh

I’d then look to fill list holes like a Ruck, and small forward.

Couldn't agree more that we need to hand the reigns of the forward line to RT and Fog, but still think Tex has a role to play for us. As much as he won't be part of our future, there's noone else currently on our list outside of the other 2 that is worth a) developing in a tall forward role, and b) that would offer the guidance and leadership that he'd provide. Definitely needs to be in more of a 'support/decoy' role as others have mentioned, and not the number 1 option. Can see him still being valuable as a deep goal square forward, playing home games. Welsh won't be ready to contribute for a full season at AFL level in his first year, and having Tex around for his development seems a no-brainier to me

With the development, granted, slowly, Billy Dowling, Zac Taylor, Jack Soligo, Izac Rankine, Josh Rachele and Daniel Curtin and Hugh Bond.

I'd be OK if Sam Berry and Lachlan Sholl request a trade. They are not A Grade players, but they are not terrible players either. They are good role players who we have mote than enough cover for.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With the development, granted, slowly, Billy Dowling, Zac Taylor, Jack Soligo, Izac Rankine, Josh Rachele and Daniel Curtin and Hugh Bond.

I'd be OK if Sam Berry and Lachlan Sholl request a trade. They are not A Grade players, but they are not terrible players either. They are good role players who we have mote than enough cover for.
Yep , and try and use that asset to get cover for our list holes like a ruck , small forward with X factor that actually kicks goals rather than holds shape

Could Tex play on the wing, a la Richardson in the twilight of his career? Imagine his leg going inside 50. Some of the best wingers in the league keep their shape wide of the play. Tex has the tank to do this.
Nah, the oppo wingmen would cut us up with their run, look at the young wingmen coming through like Darcy Wilson, Ollie Hollands, Caleb Windsor, Olie Dempsey etc.

I'm still hopeful we might do some left of centre things.

Trade for Alex Davies, say. Tim English as a free agent. Jack Graham and Cumming as well.

There's some genuine list improvements we can make while still hopefully having two picks before Welsh.
Jack Graham isn’t a list improvement. He’ll be lucky to even remain in the AFL.

I wouldn’t be overly pleased if Berry left at this point, but wouldn’t necessarily be unhappy either

With Taylor coming on and hopefully a mid coming in with our first, there can’t be room for everyone going forward

I’d look to trade Schoenberg first if we can dump him on some other team, though

The clear outs at this point in time (assuming Smith’s met his trigger) are Sloane, EH, Gollant, McHenry, Parnell (rook), with Turray already counting as an ‘in’, given he basically took Sloane’s list spot

Bond has earned himself another year I’d say .

Walker - 1 year
Berry - trade for a second round
Cook - 2 year
Hamill - really hasn’t put a foot wrong this year. Trade for more opportunities or 1 year
McHenry - easy delist
Smith - development coach
Himmelberg - will walk to gws.
Borlase - depth 1 year
Parnell - easy delist
Sholl - 2 year
Bond - 1 year
Gollant - trade for more opportunities or 1 year
Sloane : retired

List vacancies
Main: Berry
McHenry
Smith
Himmelberg
Sloane
Gollant

Rookies
Parnell

In;
First round : best mid with pace
Second round : wing with pace that is able to hit the scoreboard
Welsh

I’d then look to fill list holes like a Ruck, and small forward.
This looks remarkably like the conversation that I had with one of my brothers this morning.

The only other name to consider is Keane. If he really is leaving for Collingwood, do we trade this year for greater return, or hold until 2025 and try to convince him to stay? Keane this year should be worth at least a good second rounder. Collingwood can't trade the second they hold, but their future first with our second going back would be nice.

This looks remarkably like the conversation that I had with one of my brothers this morning.

The only other name to consider is Keane. If he really is leaving for Collingwood, do we trade this year for greater return, or hold until 2025 and try to convince him to stay? Keane this year should be worth at least a good second rounder. Collingwood can't trade the second they hold, but their future first with our second going back would be nice.
I can confirm I’m not your brother 😂.

Yeah I’d do Keane and our 2025 second for Collingwood 2025 first, then try and use that to get a pick in 2024.

In 2025 get petty as a free agent .

Could Tex play on the wing, a la Richardson in the twilight of his career? Imagine his leg going inside 50. Some of the best wingers in the league keep their shape wide of the play. Tex has the tank to do this.

No, absolutely not. But it was mentioned as happening during preseason around 2021 from memory. Of course it didn't happen, Tex couldn't run the clicks required of a wingman.

Clubs only pass the forth round if they dont really have the room on the list. Most clubs if they have 4 or more draft places will take them. Plenty of steals lower in the draft.
There are a lot of clubs which finish their draft before the 4th round.

For 4 of the last 5 years there have only been 7-8 players selected in the 4th round. 2021 is the outlier, with 13 players selected in the 4th round.

Whether they're passing, or just managing their list so they don't need to use a pick that late in the draft, it's clear that clubs don't value picks this late in the draft and will avoid making late picks wherever possible.

Are we keeping Berry? Or is he doing us a favour and increasing his price?

I've been a fan of his all the time. We need to keep him. We don't have a tackling machine like him.

I thought I saw something that he'd put contract talks on hold or did I imagine that?

He looked pretty clean last night, his best attribute by far his is tackling though, his technique is so sound. It's almost if he takes one extra step so he can pounce ontop and lock them down with both arms, just needs a way to find a little more of it or turn into a strong lockdown/tagging type of midfielder.

There have been a few glimpses where he's looked more when he's burst out however few and far between, looks more like a role playing guy. Certainly good to have on the list however I'm sure he's probably weighing up his options too as his role hasn't been all that secure.

Nah, the oppo wingmen would cut us up with their run, look at the young wingmen coming through like Darcy Wilson, Ollie Hollands, Caleb Windsor, Olie Dempsey etc.
Probably agree with you. Do think having him roam up higher would work well in a sense that his touches are some of the best in the league, him feeding it to our forwards would be gold but obviously he'd get exposed the other way - he'd do plenty of damage himself when he does have it.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Mismanagement and Trading

Back