Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

A quieter performance here to close out a slightly disappointing champs series for Smillie. He started well enough, getting his hands on the footy at stoppage consistently in the opening term, but he increasingly drifted out of the game and he had very little impact in the second half. His disposal by foot can get lazy at times and that was especially evident in this game.

A quieter performance here to close out a slightly disappointing champs series for Smillie. He started well enough, getting his hands on the footy at stoppage consistently in the opening term, but he increasingly drifted out of the game and he had very little impact in the second half. His disposal by foot can get lazy at times and that was especially evident in this game.

That's a pass (no thanks) from me..

I was in two minds about making this video. Finn is clearly still miles away from peak fitness after his long injury layoffs, as evidenced by him getting caught with the ball multiple times and his opponents at times toying with him. There's a ton more to come from Finn this season, and we can look back on this performance to remind ourselves how far he's progressed.

lets just hope FOS is more Wardlaw than Moir
There's a big difference there.

Wardlaw and FOS both had/have a large back catalogue of elite production prior to their injury issues.

With Moir, people fell in love with what they hoped he might become given his traits, but the production simply wasn't there. Also, I know there were rumours about Moir having a hip niggle that hampered him his senior season but that kind of felt like an excuse to me. It didn't cause him to miss any time.

Like many others I am caught in 2 minds about this years draft. This in reality should be our last chance to secure top 3 elite talent for many years, but with the evenness at the top of the draft, one wonders if the swap with Gold Coast is the way to go in order to address list requirements and pair Kako with any one of Travaglia, Langford, Armstrong or Lalor.

Like many others I am caught in 2 minds about this years draft. This in reality should be our last chance to secure top 3 elite talent for many years, but with the evenness at the top of the draft, one wonders if the swap with Gold Coast is the way to go in order to address list requirements and pair Kako with any one of Travaglia, Langford, Armstrong or Lalor.

It's always a gamble but imagine if we gave up pick 1 or 2 for a couple of mid teen picks like Shaun Atley and Sam Durdin.

A quieter game this week from Lalor who still showed his elite talent with some impressive moments. The Champs really came too early for Sam as he's a long way short of full fitness. He was only able to play brief stints through the middle, with most of his game time spent in the forward line. His standout moment was a huge mark and goal in the second quarter where he launched into a pack with no regard for his safety.

What has to happen is we walk away with a 1st round tall KPF. However we do it I’m easy. Hopefully whoever the best KPF is in the draft. Find a way!!

Still lots to like in that lot with equal game high 8 clearances along with Jagga Smith.

Its pretty clear to me at least with THB rule more players are willing to tap to advantage than take possession in congestion, which benefits height and reach.

Just on Smith, i have to admit ive warmed more after some convincing from Northball. As he said, it doesn't matter too much if he's not as damaging as we'd like, the fact he's ball magnet who can feed the likes of Sheez, LDU, Powell, McKercher and co is where the magic happens. However for me he comes into the equation if we get pick 3 which become slightly less likely this week with the hit to our percentage.

All this will depend on what we can shake out in terms of kpf or other trade. Would have thought both kpf and a small are the targets. Small won't be much capital but kpf could be.

Then we draft with what's left, maybe all or we bring in from 2025 if need be

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Preference would be to trade futures for a trade targets as I want to use 4 rounds of picks in a deeper draft.

A quieter game this week from Lalor who still showed his elite talent with some impressive moments. The Champs really came too early for Sam as he's a long way short of full fitness. He was only able to play brief stints through the middle, with most of his game time spent in the forward line. His standout moment was a huge mark and goal in the second quarter where he launched into a pack with no regard for his safety.

Still right in the mix for mine. Easy to see the talent is there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can we draft guys for the position they have been playing not trying retool him (make a defender into a forward )
Starting a career would be hard enough without trying to play a position that is foreign or they haven’t excelled at
You are allowed to educate players by playing them in different positions as part of learning.
Just because they put Will Dawson forward for games doesn't mean he settles there long term.

I really like the look of this kid.....what's his ceiling do you think? He kind of reminds me of Ziebell in the way he plays. Does/could he have a bigger tank?

I really like the look of this kid.....what's his ceiling do you think? He kind of reminds me of Ziebell in the way he plays. Does/could he have a bigger tank?
Well his coach likens him to Dusty. Some see De Goey or Darcy Fogarty as comps.
Looks very powerful but how good is his tank and is he more of a forward than a mid?

You are allowed to educate players by playing them in different positions as part of learning.
Just because they put Will Dawson forward for games doesn't mean he settles there long term.
Didn't see the entire match on the weekend but what i did see was an almost game from Will. Probably should've marked a couple more and a couple of others misjudged in the wind. But he looked dangerous for a first up hit at it.

Are you saying that Will might be playing forward so he can learn the leading patterns for forwards, so that when he does go back he has a better understanding of how the ball comes in and therefore will be in a better position to defend those forward 50 entries? That's crazy talk.

I really hope not.

Playing Goad as a KPD and Dawson as a KPF seems ridiculous to me.
With Goad it's pure development. He won't do that for long. But re Dawson, if he has the ability to play forward, why not? It's not like he played his whole junior career in the backline. He's only recently become a KP. If our needs are more around a forward, why not see what he can do?

With Goad it's pure development. He won't do that for long. But re Dawson, if he has the ability to play forward, why not? It's not like he played his whole junior career in the backline. He's only recently become a KP. If our needs are more around a forward, why not see what he can do?

Our needs aren't now. They aren't for the next 5 weeks either.

We should simply trade or draft for a forward at the end of the year if we have list holes, not shoehorn someone out of position that is half the player in that role he is behind the ball.

If needs were that much of a priority, we should have drafted Scaife in lieu of Jordie Payne, but they werent then and arent now.

It's just at the detriment of his development as a player (in my opinion).

We could play Comben forward also, he's just a much better defender....

I'd much rather Goad be playing forward if anything, at least it has some relevance to resting forward in future years.

Surely swinging Goad forward and Dawson back make sense at the very least.

If we have too many KPP, simply park Lienart, even if he is playing well. The priority is the development of the younger players over everything. Including team balance.

It's likely at the conclusion of 2024 Dawson will have played as much forward as defence outside of his injuries, which based on how he was drafted, his rapid progression up the board from a rookie prospect to a first round prospect because of the ability he showed as a CHB, is pretty absurd imo.

If we wanted a key forward of Will's current ability we should have taken one in the rookie draft instead of pick 22.

This isn't a Ben King scenario where we are unearthing a great forward talent from CHB, there's plenty of evidence he's not a good key forward, including the VFL games he has now played there.

Yeah I’m still waiting for Lmac to be unleashed into the midfield

Our needs aren't now. They aren't for the next 5 weeks either.

We should simply trade or draft for a forward at the end of the year if we have list holes, not shoehorn someone out of position that is half the player in that role he is behind the ball.

If needs were that much of a priority, we should have drafted Scaife in lieu of Jordie Payne, but they werent then and arent now.

It's just at the detriment of his development as a player (in my opinion).

We could play Comben forward also, he's just a much better defender....

I'd much rather Goad be playing forward if anything, at least it has some relevance to resting forward in future years.

Surely swinging Goad forward and Dawson back make sense at the very least.

If we have too many KPP, simply park Lienart, even if he is playing well. The priority is the development of the younger players over everything. Including team balance.

It's likely at the conclusion of 2024 Dawson will have played as much forward as defence outside of his injuries, which based on how he was drafted, his rapid progression up the board from a rookie prospect to a first round prospect because of the ability he showed as a CHB, is pretty absurd imo.
But how would we know how well he can do as a forward unless we try it? I don't see what we have to lose. Some people were saying the same thing about moving Comben back, but now it's almost universally accepted that he's naturally suited to the backline. Wasn't so only 6 months ago. I think trying Dawson up forward for the rest of the season could be worth doing. Can always move him back next season.

But how would we know how well he can do as a forward unless we try it? I don't see what we have to lose. Some people were saying the same thing about moving Comben back, but now it's almost universally accepted that he's naturally suited to the backline. Wasn't so only 6 months ago. I think trying Dawson up forward for the rest of the season could be worth doing. Can always move him back next season.

Comben HAD played as a defender in his younger years and shown to be a promising one, he had shown plenty of the attributes required for that role.

A lot of his limitations as a key forward were ones that wouldn't be as exposed behind the ball also.

I have seen Dawson enough as a forward to know it will never work to the level we want at AFL level in the future outside of a very average "tall" lump sitting in the forward line like Josh Schache is.

I don't really see the comparisons with Comben, in fact they were the oppposite.

Comben was a B-B+ forward prospect that was a ? Defensive prospect. In fact he may have also been considered a B prospect in the ruck as he played a lot of good football there as a mobile ruck/forward at underage level. Again something that will never be tested

He has proven to be an A+ defensive prospect.

Dawson shows natural ability at CHB. He reads the ball fantastically behind the ball, he's aggressive, he is an excellent intercept mark when behind the ball (this is nothing like the ability to be a good mark as a CHF. Comben is the absolute personification of this point) and he's a great size and can spoil.

He's an A grade defensive prospect and one of the better ones u/21 in the entire league.

He's a D grade forward prospect. He has no leg speed for separation, he likes to body on body defensively, which he can't do as a forward, as he likes to occupy the rear spot and work forward and behind. He likes to push his opponent under the ball as a defender and reach for intercepts, all which he can't and won't be able to do as a forward.

He's not a good mark on the lead and isn't a good mark with a defender all over him.

I know this will never work and we are hamstringing ourselves doing it when we have a 10+ year partner for Charlie just sitting there.

You're statement is like we have never messed up KPP flipping them backwards and forwards before?

Dawson hasn't played a lot of football in defence. He was absolutely fantastic in the first half of the year in the VFL. Every game is rolled gold for him at that level.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back