Preview 2024 Rd 19 Carlton vs North Melbourne Sunday 21st July 4:40PM AEST @ Marvel Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
How a magnificent club like ours couldn't manage to get cover for the loss of Jones a few years back is astonishing.

They went with Young and Nigel - did they really do their homework on these guys?

Watching Young - should have been pretty easy for coaches/austin to see he was never going to make it.

Nigel - I think he had an injury riddled background - something we should be staying well away from - got enough injuries.

Then they try and plug Kemp into the hole.

Pretty poor really - particularly seeing we are well into our flag window.

How a magnificent club like ours couldn't manage to get cover for the loss of Jones a few years back is astonishing.

They went with Young and Nigel - did they really do their homework on these guys?

Watching Young - should have been pretty easy for coaches/austin to see he was never going to make it.

Nigel - I think he had an injury riddled background - something we should be staying well away from - got enough injuries.

12 months is “well into our flag window”?

It’s not that simple mate.

Look at Melbourne with no genuine key forward. They’ve tried with Brown, Weideman, Schache etc…
The salary cap increases are actually making it harder for clubs to pry out quality players from opposition clubs.

Our cap is pretty tight - which it should be given our stars - We go pay $900k for Ben McKay good luck retaining Tom De Koning or Jacob Weitering in next twelve months.

Tom Stewart - pick 40
Harris Andrews - pick 61
Sam Collins - pick 55
Calum Wilkie - Rookie Draft
Sam Taylor - pick 28
Tom Barass - pick 43
James Sicily - pick 56

I reckon with finding your next high quality KPD you need to work very hard at the draft, get a little bit lucky and be patient whilst they develop. Not too dissimilar to a ruckman. Tom De Koning was no overnight sensation.

Last edited:
You're correct but problem with marchbank is by the time he's somewhat match fit & getting some feel he's then injured .
15 senior games in closing on the last 5 seasons personally I feel it's fanciful the MC still have faith in marchbank over the development of Kemp .
Also considering marchbank will most likely be gone at seasons end.
What’s development and next year got to do with this year ..Voss feels Marchbank is better suited for this weekend over kemp who has been poor …if we were bottom 4 I would agree with you but we are second and in a month or so going for a premiership

What’s so boggling for you Benaly28 ???

Surely you can see that we are shaping our finals sid⅘e and it’s important to get our best 18 up to speed now.
I would have thought that testing different player combinations should have been done earlier in the season.
Now is the time for a settled line up, plus allowing for resting 1 or 2 important 'cogs'.
We don't want to approach finals on a losing streak.

A third KPD like every team has. Were relying on Marchbank playing out a full game. If he goes down, who plays on teakle. An absolute mess
I think our backline looks very thin with no back up. If Weiters gets another corky which would be a third in about 4 weeks we’d be in strife.

It’s a bit unfair on Marchbank to carry the load as the second KPD, when he’s not in the greatest form and doesn’t have the support of Gov, Boyd and Kemp.

There will be plenty more of these before the end of the season:

George V Bam Bam
Ollie V Cotts
Martin
V Owies
Carroll V Cunners
Cowan V McG

That will set a few off!!! :tearsofjoy:
I'll bite. For me:

Kennedy > Hewett. They're roughly similar in midfield output, but Kennedy has the added flexibility to play forward or pinch hit in the ruck. But I like Hewett too and at times we'll play both.

Cotts > Ollie on best performances to date, mostly because Cotts can stick more tackles. Ollie is the future though and will overtake Cotts at some point.

Martin > Owies (when fit), although their roles aren't quite the same so we can play both. Motlop is also part of this discussion.

Cunners > Carroll (when fit), but tbh I wouldn't be surprised if neither is at the club next year. Elijah is better than both.

Gov > Cowan. Not sure I'd pit them against each other as they play different roles, but Gov clearly the more important player to us at present.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would love to know how many games he's played in.vfl since he's been on the list. Personally don't think he's afl standard but I guess his size he's a back up.
24 games in 3 years.... 8 games in each of 22,23 and 24

That says bye bye to me
I think we will have several players in that category at the end of the year. To be fair to Durdin, he was a mid-season pick in 2022, so he would have played most games he was available to play. Still doesn't look good.

Wasn't it Boyd that didn't get through training? Durdin is listed as playing reserves currently .
Both. Voss mentioned that Durdin was sore but would play if he made it through training. Track watchers reported he struggled and didn't make it through.

This weeks ins and outs does seem peak Carlton Match Committee

Outs: Ruckman, two backs and a forward

Ins: Two mids and two forwards

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Definitely worrying that we still seem to have no idea what our best structure/best 23 is at this stage of the season.

2 rucks v 1 ruck, 2 tall defenders this week, having very few mids last week only to overload with mids this week...bit all over the shop right now.

If Young isn’t picked now he is done
If Durdin can’t get through VFL games he is done
If Marchbank can’t play multiple games and regain form he is done
Kemp is not a defender and not tall like McGovern

Weitering needs help. We are fragile

KPD needs to be a focus at years end

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back