Preview 2024 Rd 19 Carlton vs North Melbourne Sunday 21st July 4:40PM AEST @ Marvel Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Xerri is a big mountain and will be way to strong for TDK, but North is building a strong young team with a lot of run.
We can't afford to have two rucks. We need a more balanced team with one ruck, more run & agility.

So for me the changes are...

Out: Pitto, Marchbank, Williams
In: McGov, Motlop, Cunners

We need to find out once and for all whether Cunners is useful at AFL or not.
Motlop - it's time for him to return and get used to AFL level

Exactly

Has all the qualities but simply does not produce

He's been a victim this year of being too bogged down in a 'defensive role' and not given license to find the footy. I fear it's a trait becoming a wee bit too regular with Voss's style.

Love the way how Ginnivan speaks about this. At Collingwood got loaded up with role & process that his 'instinct' was taken away and he became less dangerous because of it. At Hawthorn Sam Mitchell has simply freed him up to hunt the footy and play instinctively. (Concede that Ginni probably didn't help himself off field either).

Fogarty, Cottrell, Ollie, Fantasia these guys paying roles that don't actually involve getting the football. Reckon Motlop has struggled to adjust to this role/game style of Voss's also. Cunners was part of that when he was playing earlier in the year which was bizarre given he's one of our best ball users.

Long term I reckon it's unhealthy having the same guys...Cripps, Walsh, Newman as our major ball winners.
Cerra playing the defensive mid role the last couple of weeks hasn't suited him at all. Need to find ways to engineer more of the footy in the hands of our role players.

Last edited:
Motts in for Williams

Hewett in for Pitto

Gov (if fit) for Marchy - otherwise Durdin

Ollie to be sub. Kennedy in the 22.

Keep playing Cotts. Cuners wasn’t as good as some have made out in the VFL. Fumbled it quite a bit.

Martin can play VFL. Get him cherry ripe.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Agree.

I’d like to see what Durdin can offer as a KPD with Weiters.

Ollie or Cottrell as sub. I don’t want to see two endurance players in the 22 running around and having no impact on the game.

Cottrell and Fogarty are VFL level footballers who get a game because they can run. They aren't going to get us the next flag. When Motlop and Martin are fit they are in. Cuningham is better than both players. I don't rate him highly but I feel our coach underrates him a little. If we were genuine flag favourites Cottrell, Cuningham, Fogarty and Fantasia should really struggle struggle to get a game. If we had a clean injury list it would be the case. Our recruitment teams will need to get this sorted.

Motlop has to play this week. Cuningham should play this week.

We should play Cerra forward and Hewett should come in. I am not sure if Voss knows how to rotate 6+ followers through the midfield but that is what I feel we need to do.

Cerra starts forward. He Walsh and Hollands rotate through the middle. Two of Cripps, Hewett and Kennedy to play big moments in the middle.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2 and 2 right ;)

Hewett and Motlop would have to be certainties.

Williams is obviously out.

I don’t think they’ll play Pitto.

So… Marchy out for Gov.

So:

In Hewett, Motlop, Gov

Out Pitto, Williams, Marchy.

Do I get a $300 dinner as well if correct?

(ETA: which reflects what I said above. I’m clearly a genius if that’s how it turns out).

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I see Pittonet as a definite out.

Marchbank looks nowhere near it. Williams injury.

A few more on thin ice Cerra & Cotter's need to find fitness/form And O Hollands needs to find form.

Kemp probably a rung above but has been up and down the last few weeks.

Williams injured.

We won't make that many changes but surely at least 3-4.

Interesting discussion with kingy & Joey on afl360 tonight. Their segment was based on playing two rucks v not playing two rucks. I thought that it would be the normal lazy discussion however Kingy (with Champion data) had gone through all the data this year to work out the most effective rucks pre-clearance (at the hitouts) and post clearance (around the ground).

The most effective rucks pre-clearance are;
1) Marc Pittonet
2) Kieran Briggs
3) Sean Darcy
4) Tom DeKonning
5) Max Gawn

And the most effective rucks post clearance are;
1) Max Gawn
2) Ned Moyle
3) Luke Jackson
4) Tim English
5) Darcy Cameron

I guess that this tells us what we pretty much already knew in that both of our rucks (despite being diametrically opposite) excel in one area (pre-clearance) . However it was a surprise to see Pitto rated so highly. They did say that Sam Draper was rated 18th in one category and 21st in another.

Cottrell and Fogarty are VFL level footballers who get a game because they can run. They aren't going to get us the next flag. When Motlop and Martin are fit they are in. Cuningham is better than both players. I don't rate him highly but I feel our coach underrates him a little. If we were genuine flag favourites Cottrell, Cuningham, Fogarty and Fantasia should really struggle struggle to get a game. If we had a clean injury list it would be the case. Our recruitment teams will need to get this sorted.

My take is Fogarty is a valuable part of our side. Hard to judge small forwards when ball is coming in poorly but when we play well he is involved and our leading goal assist player.

Cottrell needs a role as he is not smart enough to find the ball by himself and can be a real seagull. Tackling is nearly non existent but has good skills and can finish

As for DC. I have said it often. At times looks a star and has all the attributes. BUT he rarely puts it together or plays 4 quarters. Pity as we need his skill set

Fantasia. Meh. Feel is game has gone past him because of injury. At his best he can play. I am bit the same with Martin

IMO Fogarty Motlop Owies Williams and maybe Martin is our best combination to win finals

Last edited:
Looking at our list we could easily make 6 changes this week.
More concerned about players been gifted games with poor or no exposed form., Marchbank was horrible in the seconds and was gifted a senior game. Cotrell and Cerra were injured for 2 months and rushed back into the seniors without match fitness. 3 players short of a gallop at this level is not going to get the results more often than not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back