Preview 2024 Rd 19 Carlton vs North Melbourne Sunday 21st July 4:40PM AEST @ Marvel Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
My take is Fogarty is a valuable part of our side. Hard to judge small forwards when ball is coming in poorly but when we play well he is involved and our leading goal assist player.

Cottrell needs a role as he is not smart enough to find the ball by himself and can be a real seagull. Tackling is nearly non existent but has good skills and can finish

As for DC. I have said it often. At times looks a star and has all the attributes. BUT he rarely puts it together or plays 4 quarters. Pity as we need his skill set

Fantasia. Meh. Feel is game has gone past him because of injury. At his best he can play. I am bit the same with Martin

IMO Fogarty Motlop Owies Williams and maybe Martin is our best combination to win finals
Fogarty is valuable because we have no one else and he applies a bit of pressure. It's a list management issue. If we had a stronger group of small forwards. Cottrell, Fogarty, Cuningham and Fantasia would be nowhere near it. Injury has not helped us. Drafting Moir who is years away has not helped us. None of those guys get a game if every player is at full fitness. Martin and Motlop are shoe ins, Silvagni is therabouts and Williams has more than made himself at home as a forward.

Fogarty is also one of the worst users of the ball in our side and is one of the worst shots at goal of all time. So the few times he does get the footy, he usually butchers it. It's also obvious that this is known to his teammates. When he's open we won't go to him for this very reason. You just can't have that in a serious grand final contending side.

Cottrell plays the game much the same way an umpire does. Runs up and down the ground and stays out of the way of the play. He does not contribute physically in the contests and his closing speed is poor. His chasing and tackling is second rate. As far as I can tell, Voss must like that he can get ahead of the ball well and he can stand in a zone. He just doesn't get the ball or apply pressure and I really struggle to see much value in his game. He's good when he gets the ball.

Fantasia is not great. Physically not there, ok when he gets the ball but in the contest really is not flash.

They are all good VFL players getting a game in a side that has injuries and a weakness in this department. None of them would survive on Sydney's list.

It's a worry when we are competing for a flag that players of this level are getting consistent games in our side.

Cuningham hasn't got the best footy IQ and isn't overly good in the physical contests however out of the three he is better in all aspects. Gets more of it than Cottrell, Fantasia and Fogarty and he also does a good job defensively. He can be played on the dangerous half backs and will shut them down. He's also a good finisher and has good closing speed. Dropping him in finals last year was a blunder by our MC.

Sometimes the ball falls to a contest and sometimes to the opposition, small forwards need to get in there, close quickly and hit hard. This is a big hole with most of our small forwards. Having guys who have some inside mid experience has improved our game as they will compete well for the contest ball inside F50. Williams for example and why I want to see Cerra go though there.

I think that Williams, Owies, Martin, Motlop and the mids (Cerra, Walsh, Hollands) are our best combo.

F: Motlop McKay Martin
HF: Williams Curnow Hollands
IC: Owies
Rotations: Kennedy Walsh Cerra
Missing: Silvagni
VFL: Cottrell, Fogarty, Fantasia, Cuningham, Moir, Lemmy

I would not have Fogarty, Fantasia, Cottrell or Cuningham anywhere near our best 22. I would only have Owies in there just. I would love to recruit a couple of gun small forwards, then we could let a few of them go.

It is a very non threatening forward line. We go to the same players all the time because the team knows there are only a few players in that forward line who can be trusted to win the ball and use it well. It's a problem with our ball movement and makes us predictable to the opposition. Quality wise it's unbalanced and lacks quality depth, pace and smaller goalkicking options.

At it's best, It's really good. That above forward line is as good as any. But too many of those names have played too few games.

We won't last long in finals with Fantasia, Cottrell, Cuningham and Fogarty getting games. Maybe one of. But currently we are carrying too many weak forwards.

Fogarty is valuable because we have no one else and he applies a bit of pressure. It's a list management issue. If we had a stronger group of small forwards. Cottrell, Fogarty, Cuningham and Fantasia would be nowhere near it. Injury has not helped us. Drafting Moir who is years away has not helped us. None of those guys get a game if every player is at full fitness. Martin and Motlop are shoe ins, Silvagni is therabouts and Williams has more than made himself at home as a forward.

Fogarty is also one of the worst users of the ball in our side and is one of the worst shots at goal of all time. So the few times he does get the footy, he usually butchers it. It's also obvious that this is known to his teammates. When he's open we won't go to him for this very reason. You just can't have that in a serious grand final contending side.

Cottrell plays the game much the same way an umpire does. Runs up and down the ground and stays out of the way of the play. He does not contribute physically in the contests and his closing speed is poor. His chasing and tackling is second rate. As far as I can tell, Voss must like that he can get ahead of the ball well and he can stand in a zone. He just doesn't get the ball or apply pressure and I really struggle to see much value in his game. He's good when he gets the ball.

Fantasia is not great. Physically not there, ok when he gets the ball but in the contest really is not flash.

They are all good VFL players getting a game in a side that has injuries and a weakness in this department. None of them would survive on Sydney's list.

It's a worry when we are competing for a flag that players of this level are getting consistent games in our side.

Cuningham hasn't got the best footy IQ and isn't overly good in the physical contests however out of the three he is better in all aspects. Gets more of it than Cottrell, Fantasia and Fogarty and he also does a good job defensively. He can be played on the dangerous half backs and will shut them down. He's also a good finisher and has good closing speed. Dropping him in finals last year was a blunder by our MC.

Sometimes the ball falls to a contest and sometimes to the opposition, small forwards need to get in there, close quickly and hit hard. This is a big hole with most of our small forwards. Having guys who have some inside mid experience has improved our game as they will compete well for the contest ball inside F50. Williams for example and why I want to see Cerra go though there.

I think that Williams, Owies, Martin, Motlop and the mids (Cerra, Walsh, Hollands) are our best combo.

I would not have Fogarty, Fantasia, Cottrell or Cuningham anywhere near our best 22. I would only have Owies in there just. I would love to recruit a couple of gun small forwards, then we could let a few of them go.

It is a very non threatening forward line. We go to the same players all the time because the team knows there are only a few players in that forward line who can be trusted to win the ball and use it well. It's a problem with our ball movement and makes us predictable to the opposition. Quality wise it's unbalanced and lacks quality depth, pace and smaller goalkicking options.

At it's best, It's really good. That above forward line is as good as any. But too many of those names have played too few games.

We won't last long in finals with Fantasia, Cottrell, Cuningham and Fogarty getting games. Maybe one of. But currently we are carrying too many weak forwards.
Well there you go. I could have sworn that we won two massive finals last year with Cottrell, Cuningham and Fogarty playing. I also thought that Cottrell was near best on ground at half time in one of them. Must have been wrong.

He shut Dale down after half time...it was a big ask to stop Bont...different shape to Butters and Merett
This is spot on. Cincotta is more suited to the smaller body mids like Butters and Daicos. I would never bother tagging a massive inside mid as they will always be a mismatch for physicality in the clinches.

Well there you go. I could have sworn that we won two massive finals last year with Cottrell, Cuningham and Fogarty playing. I also thought that Cottrell was near best on ground at half time in one of them. Must have been wrong.
Not using revisionist history? Surely you aren’t a Carlton fan… 😂 can’t believe how short some people’s memories are

I will prefix this by saying I know it won't happen. But would like to see 3-4 changes.

Williams for Motlop, injury no brainer.

Gov or S Durdin for Marchbank. We really missed Gov, if he isn't fit I would go with Durdin and try and get Weitering to play with a little more freedom. Marchbank looks nowhere near it and watching him live a few times in the VFL I can't see how he was even recalled.

Pittonet for Kennedy, two rucks has rarely worked for us and we need to back TDK's form. If TDK isn't fit or sore play Pittonet. Otherwise Kennedy can pinch hit in the ruck and offers more in both the middle and forward than Pittonet.

Hewett for Cerra, Cerra needs fitness and form and Hewett has been stiff. The pace arguement is odd for me here as Cerra isn't exactly Usain Bolt and Hewett offers more as a mid at the moment.

Cotters out of the 22 and moved to sub and I would bring in Fantasia. Now why Fantasia, well he runs is an option and can use the ball well. Plus has pace. Will offer about the same as Cotters is at the moment regardless.

O Hollands, has been out of form for probably two months. I would look at bringing Carroll in and moving Walsh to the wing.

What I expect:

Out: Williams, Marchbank, Pitto & Cotters (Sub)
In: Kennedy, Motlop, Hewett & Gov

Some fair points.

IMO Cuningham is the perfect sub. Has pace and when others tire he can make a difference. He more an impact player than a 4 quarter player

I’ve heard Pitto, Williams and Marchy (?) will be out. Mots, Hewett, Gov(?) in. Has anyone heard that too? Or otherwise?

I will prefix this by saying I know it won't happen. But would like to see 3-4 changes.

Williams for Motlop, injury no brainer.

Gov or S Durdin for Marchbank. We really missed Gov, if he isn't fit I would go with Durdin and try and get Weitering to play with a little more freedom. Marchbank looks nowhere near it and watching him live a few times in the VFL I can't see how he was even recalled.

Pittonet for Kennedy, two rucks has rarely worked for us and we need to back TDK's form. If TDK isn't fit or sore play Pittonet. Otherwise Kennedy can pinch hit in the ruck and offers more in both the middle and forward than Pittonet.

Hewett for Cerra, Cerra needs fitness and form and Hewett has been stiff. The pace arguement is odd for me here as Cerra isn't exactly Usain Bolt and Hewett offers more as a mid at the moment.

Cotters out of the 22 and moved to sub and I would bring in Fantasia. Now why Fantasia, well he runs is an option and can use the ball well. Plus has pace. Will offer about the same as Cotters is at the moment regardless.

O Hollands, has been out of form for probably two months. I would look at bringing Carroll in and moving Walsh to the wing.

What I expect:

Out: Williams, Marchbank, Pitto & Cotters (Sub)
In: Kennedy, Motlop, Hewett & Gov

Good changes.

Hewett just has to be brought back in.
Mots to get a go, he's been solid the last couple weeks.
If Gov doesn't get up, then S.Durdin for Marchbank.

scraped through two and beaten comfortably in the prelim. I'm talking about winning a grand final.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some fair points.

IMO Cuningham is the perfect sub. Has pace and when others tire he can make a difference. He more an impact player than a 4 quarter player
I like Cuningham as sub. I think with our setup we should be going with two players who can play forward and on the ball. Hollands and Cerra starting forward and a forward as sub. That allows us to replace an injured back, mid or forward as well as injecting impact into the game.

We routinely pick slow accumulators as subs and it never brings anything extra to our side.

I have also felt that perhaps Martin, if he's not 100% fit could play the sub role as well.

I think the key to unlocking some really good connection and 4 quarter footy is improving the depth of the smaller forwards in the front half, guys who can run but also have the skills and footy IQ to get involved in our transitional play and win contests. The other part is midfield rotations. You generally get 4 quarters out of a team if they have good midfield rotations but everyone has to be in form.

Last few weeks we have been going with 3-4 defensive forwards who don't get the ball, don't kick goals, don't do much apart from run up and back and it's killed us IMO.

If your forward line is non-threatening then the smarter defenders of the game don't respect you and they start to hurt you. We still need forwards who defend by getting dangerous and making the opposition defend. Beat Harry and Charlie, those defensive forwards really don't do much against the better sides. We need a few others to step up and kick goals, put offensive pressure on the opposition.

I'd love for us to bring in some quality forwards this trade period.

Collingwood scraped through all 3 of their finals wins last year. One against opposition we also beat in the finals. What’s your point?
5 of the 9 finals were decided by 7 points or fewer.
3 of the other 4 were by fewer than 4 goals.

I honestly believe we were a preliminary final home ground advantage away from a premiership last year, such was our momentum.

They were well ahead of us and all other sides for the entire season as well.
This isn't true.
We beat them well in Round 20.
The finished 1 game ahead of Port in 3rd.
Got carried by the umps to a 1 point win in the Prelim, and got incredibly lucky again to win the GF by 4 points.

This isn't true.
We beat them well in Round 20.
The finished 1 game ahead of Port in 3rd.
Got carried by the umps to a 1 point win in the Prelim, and got incredibly lucky again to win the GF by 4 points.
We caught them in a lull, Hawks beat them the following week as well. We have hardly beaten them the last 3 years, we would not have got close in the grand final. We have all got too excited because we haven't had much success the last 20 years. They would have been far too quick and their pressure tactics have always beaten us. We have beaten them once recently when their pressure was off and we were in red hot form. They finished top of the ladder, there is always luck involved in winning a grand final but it was more quality than luck.

To beat Sydney this year we need to improve a hell of a lot.

scraped through two and beaten comfortably in the prelim. I'm talking about winning a grand final.
Didn't sound like that when you said "we won't last long in the finals". Sounds like the goal posts may have been moved.

I'd be more than happy to win a grand final scraping through a finals series. That's pretty much the idea of what finals are all about. Teams are supposed to be about even.

Didn't sound like that when you said "we won't last long in the finals". Sounds like the goal posts may have been moved.

I'd be more than happy to win a grand final scraping through a finals series. That's pretty much the idea of what finals are all about. Teams are supposed to be about even.
We all would be happy with that. Truth is to beat Sydney we need to improve quite a lot. It's possibly but everything needs to go right.

We all would be happy with that. Truth is to beat Sydney we need to improve quite a lot. It's possibly but everything needs to go right.
How so. We beat them in a final at the MCG last year. They're a fair way from unbeatable, particularly away from home. The Saints beat them a fortnight ago, Tigers beat them at the G.

Maybe we'll only scrape home though. Apparently that doesn't count for much

Everything needs to go right every year for a team to win the Premiership, whether some people want to say it or not, we are a serious contender this year. Every team has gone through patches of losing two or three consecutive games this year, the competition is a tight one. Whatever happened the past two weeks, we are still in second place, we are in contention.

Sydney has been good but let's not ignore the advantage they have at home, on the MCG, Grand Final Day, we'd be every chance of beating them.

All that matters is being in good form once we hit the finals. We have a good enough list to do it.

Everything needs to go right every year for a team to win the Premiership, whether some people want to say it or not, we are a serious contender this year. Every team has gone through patches of losing two or three consecutive games this year, the competition is a tight one. Whatever happened the past two weeks, we are still in second place, we are in contention.

Sydney has been good but let's not ignore the advantage they have at home, on the MCG, Grand Final Day, we'd be every chance of beating them.

All that matters is being in good form once we hit the finals. We have a good enough list to do it.
👏

16 points in Brissy wasn’t too bad,Collingwood scraped their way through 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back