Preview 2024 Rd 20 Carlton vs Port Adelaide Friday 26th July 7:40PM AEST @ Marvel Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are struggling with consistency of effort and structure.
Almost like we are plugging holes … and creating some through selection.
Surely there’s consensus over best 20/23 by now? We just need them all fit which is easier said that achieved.

Boyd Weitering Marchbank
Newman McGovern Saad
Acres Cripps Walsh
E Hollands Curnow Fogarty
Martin McKay Williams
TDK Cerra Hewett
Int: Kennedy Motlop Cincotta Cottrell Owies
Next: O Hollands Carroll Kemp Cuningham Pittonet Cowan

Had a physical (strength) advantage at the centre bounce last week and we got headmen 37 to 8 out of the middle when he was in the ruck. TDK, on the other hand, won 27 to 18

The only difference? The ruck.

He offers next to nothing around the ground so if he's not winning the centre bounces he's not succeeding in the one role he's in the side for
I guess that you are talking about scores from centre bounces? There was one last week where Pitto put it straight into one of our players hands who promptly dropped it and the Dogs scored an immediate goal. By your stat that's Pittos fault.

Anyone that can't see that 1) TDK is a bit fragile and 2) TDK will struggle against big bodied ruckmen who just plonk themselves between him and the ball is missing the reality of quite a few of our recent problems. Too many times opposition teams are just getting clean clearances out the front with no pressure which piles pressure on our defence.

There are going to be times where we have to rest TDK. There are times where we have to play Pitto and TDK. Can anyone realistically think that we could beat Freo with Darcy and Jackson playing with just TDK rucking?

I guess that you are talking about scores from centre bounces? There was one last week where Pitto put it straight into one of our players hands who promptly dropped it and the Dogs scored an immediate goal. By your stat that's Pittos fault.

Let's take that goal out of the equation. In a 14-point loss he still loses 31 to 8.
Anyone that can't see that 1) TDK is a bit fragile and 2) TDK will struggle against big bodied ruckmen who just plonk themselves between him and the ball is missing the reality of quite a few of our recent problems. Too many times opposition teams are just getting clean clearances out the front with no pressure which piles pressure on our defence.

There are going to be times where we have to rest TDK. There are times where we have to play Pitto and TDK. Can anyone realistically think that we could beat Freo with Darcy and Jackson playing with just TDK rucking?

I agree with much of this which I've said throughout this thread.

However, I do believe that we can beat Freo with TDK as primary ruck with support from player(s) who are stronger around the ground than Pittonet. Both Darcy and Jackson would absolutely destroy Pittonet around the ground. We beat them by almost 10 goals last year in Perth with both playing and Lewis Young as our starting ruck and SOS as his backup.

Let's take that goal out of the equation. In a 14-point loss he still loses 31 to 8.

I agree with much of this which I've said throughout this thread.

However, I do believe that we can beat Freo with TDK as primary ruck with support from player(s) who are stronger around the ground than Pittonet. Both Darcy and Jackson would absolutely destroy Pittonet around the ground. We beat them by almost 10 goals last year in Perth with both playing and Lewis Young as our starting ruck and SOS as his backup.
Darcy would make mince meat of TDK sadly. Will fall on him, land on him, lean on him ad infinitum. This is not a knock on TDK and if he improves as much as he has from this year to next it won't be an issue but currently he has problems with big bodied rucks. Anyway just my thoughts but I just find it strange that you seemed to hate Pitto when he gives his all for the jumper despite his limitations.

TDK out Pitto in. Give Tom 2-3 weeks to get completely right while Pitto shoulders the load and bring him in for WCE to give him a run in to finals. Too important for us to have him banged up badly going into September.

Cerra better in the 2nd half but needs to find his touch again. Too fumbly and not attacking contests like we know he can.

Walsh sore back again according to Voss is a major concern. Hopefully he's fine but do not risk him under any circumstances if he's 50/50.

Changes are very much injury dependent but Durdin should come out for either Gov or March (but not Kemp).

If Boyd is fit I think he comes in for the unlucky Carroll allowing Cerra to go back into the midfield where he belongs.

If TDK can’t get up then obviously Pitto come straight in and Binns gets a debut if Acres is injured.

Think someone said cerra out, he's been off since back but he's class and started finding his feet in patches today, so absolutely no chance he is out

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We’ve been saying that the last 3-4 weeks.We just need to get back to our cohesion which we’ve lacked since the cats game.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
You might have but I haven’t until now. Sorry

Drop one more game in the next 2 weeks and Brianne and Fremantle will overtake us. Then it’s curtains. Time to delver is this week and beyond. No more failures.

One week at a time, this season has been extremely even and unpredictable. We have several danger games remaining, today’s game was one hurdle and we got over it , some concerns yet before we secure the coveted top 4 finish.

I don't get the hate. Pitto is ranked as the best pre clearance ruckman (as in impacts hit outs and clearances) in the whole comp. Why would you never want to see him play again. Tries his guts out every time he pulls on the jumper. Cantankerous for much more than that.

Pitt had one poor game v dogs now some people want to delist him.

He was good in all the other games he played, we just shouldn’t be playing 2 ruckmen at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back