Preview 2024 Rd 20 Carlton vs Port Adelaide Friday 26th July 7:40PM AEST @ Marvel Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Told we have a lot of sore bodies and not many will be on track this week. Several players will be given until Friday morning to prove fitness. Very very easy week for most

Acres McKay Weitering Martin Boyd McGovern Walsh are an issue. Marchbank not 100% either

Injuries are my biggest concern
Glad I don't have to do all the heavy lifting.😁

Can corroborate this. We have a very banged up side.

And I can't remember who asked me but no we have not been in a heavy training phase

Told we have a lot of sore bodies and not many will be on track this week. Several players will be given until Friday morning to prove fitness. Very very easy week for most

Acres McKay Weitering Martin Boyd McGovern Walsh are an issue. Marchbank not 100% either

Don't worry Soap, Port will be in the same boat. Rozee pulled up sore last week, if they select Marshall, no way he's going to be playing pain free... Soldo, Finlayson and SPP all on the injury list.

A lot of banged up bodies across the comp at this stage of the season.

Don't worry Soap, Port will be in the same boat. Rozee pulled up sore last week, if they select Marshall, no way he's going to be playing pain free... Soldo, Finlayson and SPP all on the injury list.

A lot of banged up bodies across the comp at this stage of the season.

I was more thinking rest of season but your point is valid

Only this season I’m hearing about sore bodies. Is this a new thing or have players/clubs always needed to manage sore bodies?

It’s a taxing game that’s for sure but I thought they reduced training loads for players between games depending on how sore they were…

Only this season I’m hearing about sore bodies. Is this a new thing or have players/clubs always needed to manage sore bodies?

It’s a taxing game that’s for sure but I thought they reduced training loads for players between games depending on how sore they were…

I think our injuries and lack of depth is our issue in this regard

We just haven't been able to manage or rest players which is vital coming into Finals.

Key players like Walsh Cripps McKay Weitering just haven't been able to get a break

Depends who they are and what position you end up in coming into finals. If we lose a few games now because of injury/soreness and finish 6-8th the bye doesn't help much
Absolutely no way we finish outside the four. None. We’ve played sore before and still gotten wins over sides we are about to play

I’m backing the boys in all the way. Form turnaround starts this week

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's a taxing game style to play though, requiring more run and more cohesion.

Not surprised we're not producing that style like we were with all the banged up players we have right now.

We looked fit and strong in our 5 game winning streak and we were basically injury free in that period.

Ever since q1 of the GWS game though we've had lots of players get knocks, impacting their ability in game. In 3 weeks weve had injuries to TDK, Williams, Gov, Boyd and Durdin but many more impacted like Weitering, Acres and Walsh...Cerra seems to be struggling physically too.

Our high pressure and hard running has notably been absent, I think injuries have played a big part in that.

No doubt it’s a taxing gamestyle and injuries don’t help, but I believe we’ve gone back too far in the other direction of possession and slower ball movement i.e. being too conservative.

By all means pick and choose when to go during the game, but the “go” part needs to naturally happen more frequently, as that’s the only brand of football that puts us in a position to win against the good teams.

Glad I don't have to do all the heavy lifting.😁

Can corroborate this. We have a very banged up side.

And I can't remember who asked me but no we have not been in a heavy training phase
Fair enough re: Martin being sore, he’s played near on 6 quarters in 2 weeks

No doubt it’s a taxing gamestyle and injuries don’t help, but I believe we’ve gone back too far in the other direction of possession and slower ball movement i.e. being too conservative.

By all means pick and choose when to go during the game, but the “go” part needs to naturally happen more frequently, as that’s the only brand of football that puts us in a position to win against the good teams.
Noticed on Sunday a reluctance to look at the corridor. Most of the time we would just bang it down the wing. So easy for opposition coaches to set up against us at the moment. We hardly ever look to change the angles or switch to the fat side.

Having McGov and Boydy back should make a huge difference in this regard. Kemp is a decent kick as well and should play Friday night imo.

I think our injuries and lack of depth is our issue in this regard

We just haven't been able to manage or rest players which is vital coming into Finals.

Key players like Walsh Cripps McKay Weitering just haven't been able to get a break

That’s the problem when you have a list that resembles a hospital ward for 3/4 of the season.
Said it at the time when we had hamstring after calf after hamstring and another hamstring and calf and god knows how many more earlier in the season and people were having a crack at me for having a crack at the HPT saying we were still winning.

The injury list we had DOES NOT allow you to manage your best players across the season.

If we’d pulled out the GWS and Dogs games then you have a big enough buffer on the ladder to rest and recuperate but we just cannot afford to do that now if we have any hope of Top 2. Sydney have done the hard yards, the last 3 or 4 weeks for them is just tapering and would not be at all concerned about supposed form issues.

I’ll probably get a week or two holiday for this, but the HPT has to change. The fish rots from the head

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Noticed on Sunday a reluctance to look at the corridor. Most of the time we would just bang it down the wing. So easy for opposition coaches to set up against us at the moment. We hardly ever look to change the angles or switch to the fat side.

Having McGov and Boydy back should make a huge difference in this regard. Kemp is a decent kick as well and should play Friday night imo.
I think that was mainly 2 nd and last quarters when we had injuries. First .and 3rd quarters we played good football

100% agree.

Quite arrogant of the MC that it thought the team was that good it could carry a couple of non performers i.e. Cotts and Cerra, not to mention a few others not doing much eg O. Hollands.

It just doesn't work that way

Most players within every side are role players, they generally look poor in loss and adequate/good in a win

Think about the alternatives at the lower levels to replace the guys you mentioned

Martin its always injured 😔 Marchbank likewise. They shouldn't even be considered anymore.

Rest Walsh if need to.

Marchbank no loss.

Boyd/Martin would be bonus.

Weiters and Harry surely get up.

Kemp for Gov if need be.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

100% agree.

Quite arrogant of the MC that it thought the team was that good it could carry a couple of non performers i.e. Cotts and Cerra, not to mention a few others not doing much eg O. Hollands.
Our form slumped once we started tinkering with our selections. Dropping Hewett to rush back Cerra was a disaster. Most likely cost us a win against the dogs as a result.
Cottrell likewise. You can call out role players all you like but the facts are we had won 5 games in a row including thumping Geelong without Cotrell. Playing him without any match fitness after 8 weeks out was a huge mistake any way people want to spin it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back