Preview 2024 Rd 23 Carlton vs West Coast Sunday 18th August 4.40PM AEST (2:40PM AWST) @ Optus Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Us finishing 4th is about one in a hundred - so mathematically possible but highly unlikely

Would need Cats to lose at home to Eagles
Plus Lions lose at home to *
And a depleted Blues to win against Eagles and Saints

At this stage we would be lucky to get 8th - beat the Eagles and hope that Port beats Freo so that we don’t need to beat the Saints

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I think you need to revisit my post. Pay attention to the part in Caps. ;)

Like I said, mathematically possible but extremely unlikely.
Disappointing to have such a bad end to the year.
Our best football is way better than our ladder position.

I still say no chance.

Can’t see the Cats losing to WC next week at home or Brisbane losing to * at the Gabba.

IMG_1002.jpeg

I just want to see the whole group play like their season is on the line. Play with pride for themselves and don’t piss away all the hard work done this year. If we lose playing that way so be it, but not a bloody whimper woah us performance.
Last year particularly when we got going and onwards we were defensively sound, our overall entire ground defensive positioning/press was at a much better level, opposition kick outs particularly, our midfield/stoppage positioning was good and was successful off the back of our first hands dominance, unlike this year we breakdown if we don’t win and clear the ball, either by depending on clearance advantage, poor positioning or lack of accountability, opposition outnumber then clearances on the outskirts…

Agreed, but it's been a trippy season.
Unfortunately the Carlton trip has landed us in the asylum.

Has been such an odd season.

Never seen anything like it for as long as I can remember.

Teams that should be winning are losing & vice versa.

Has been such an odd season.

Never seen anything like it for as long as I can remember.

Teams that should be winning are losing & vice versa.
There must be a lot going on behind the scenes.
Russell was almost out the door last year. This year he was on the radio talking up the heavy training, and now the season has crumbled.
Can't wait for next year though.
Change the training, bring in some solid trades, a few tweaks to the game plan and we'll be right.
Charlie to kick 80 again. Bookmark it.

Ok, given the injuries and available personel, I have a couple of thoughts which may be left field (forgive the Americanism) enough to cause the Weagles some trouble.

Who plays 2nd Ruck? Clearly Young, Kennedy and Cripps are the options. We conceede we will lose when Pitto is not in the contests. (and probably when he is) Set up to rove to their bloke. Old fashioned stuff. and FFS have someone on the defensive side of the CCircle to stop their run forward with ease as happened so many times in the last 2 months.

Not an odd thought but Cinc to run with Reid all day.

I think Pitto should play 90% on field time, but not always in the ruck. Spell him in the GS. Make one of Barrass or McGlovin pay attention to the fact that a big bloke is sitting ahead of the ball. He may not be a great mark, or great goal kicker, but he is 200+ cm and its hard to miss from <20 mts. Hopefully it drags one of their great attacking defenders back to the square.

Oscar Allan and their other bloke with the mullet are good forwards. Clearly Weitering gets OA, but do we really need Kemp on the other one? Maybe Kemp plays a leading forward role, again, old fashioned FF leading from the square. This of course only work if the midfield can win the pill in the centre and lower their eyes. Surley there has been practice this week kicking low and hard/along the ground into F50? No more long bomb targets may be a blessing (wishful thinking)

People who watch the 2nds can inform me of the merrits of the debutants, but sureley we need some 'out of the box' thinking to win this one. We are devestated with injuries. All the quality cattle in the world is useless if they are watching from the stands.

I really want to see Vossy pull some odd string, spin the magnets and try to unbalace them. Clearly we are unbalanced anyway. Whats to loose?

Edit: I have just read posts that say the weather is awful in Perth, and the ground may be heavy. That would suit us to make it a dour 8 goals to 6 slog, provided we kick the 8.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

. I know it’s the lower league but only 1/10 WAFL teams kicked more than 8 goals today, and that team kicked 12.

The weather here in Perth is really bad, and Optus is not designed for it.
10 pm now and it's been pissin down for the last few hours.
It's been heavy rain all bar maybe 2 hours today.
I hope the boys are up for the slog.

When was the last match we played without both H and Charles?
Round 19, 2021 during the dying days of the Teague administration. Lost to North by 39 points. A game we remember because Larkey kicked 7 for them, and we bicker about who his opponents were!

For the record, we kicked 11 goals (Cripps 3, Kennedy Newnes 2, Martin Owies Fisher Ed)

On the bright side, only 23mm in the last 24 hours in the west.

And the worst has well and truly gone...

As others have said, might be a bit slippery but with strong SW winds all day and a well drained surface (even if a bit chopped up):

1723934934531.png

Sam Walsh is the key to winning today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back