Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation Part 2 (Rumours total 25, last 28th August)

Remove this Banner Ad

Can you imagine if Port ship Houston to North for their F1 and it ends up being pick 2 next year, they could literally be swapping Houston for Dyson Sharp.

They have Lukosius and if they beat us to Cumming, thats their Houston replacement as well. Enough to make you vomit at how well they could manage this offseason compared to us.

North wouldn't be stupid enough to give up pick 2 for Houston would they?

If anything they'd trade 2 to freo for 9+10 or something right, then on trade 10 to port?

North have a long history of not being able to recruit quality players. Honestly they should be trading pick 2 to bring in someone good, they've got plenty of draftees

Can you imagine if Port ship Houston to North for their F1 and it ends up being pick 2 next year, they could literally be swapping Houston for Dyson Sharp.

They have Lukosius and if they beat us to Cumming, thats their Houston replacement as well. Enough to make you vomit at how well they could manage this offseason compared to us.
losing houston is going to backfire big time. stop stressing.

cumming is not houston. i think he would help us but only because he can actually kick unlike most of our team

North wouldn't be stupid enough to give up pick 2 for Houston would they?

If anything they'd trade 2 to freo for 9+10 or something right, then on trade 10 to port?
I don't think 2 gets used even in a splitting situation. North will bank that on any one of the 6-7 players that could be picked.

North have a long history of not being able to recruit quality players. Honestly they should be trading pick 2 to bring in someone good, they've got plenty of draftees
Agreed, If I was north or GC, with the amount of high picks they’ve been gifted in recent years, I would be looking to bring in someone like Houston at almost any price. They already have stacked midfields of young stars. The issue is more around would Houston agree.

Frankly, we should be doing everything possible to strengthen our draft hand this year, not giving up picks for middling senior players. Sadly, given our re-signings/extensions so far this off season, it doesn't look like that's a focus. Many would disagree with me here, and this is nothing against the player, but I'd be looking at leveraging Rachele plus future picks for a pick inside the top 5. Two picks inside the top 5 is exactly what we need in this draft. Add ANB and Cumming to that and it's a pretty good off season.

But we won't be that aggressive, despite the rhetoric.

This is the thing that frustrates me

We have a poor record of attracting known quality players to the club. The best pathway we have to obtaining quality players is through the draft and developing those players.

Yet in many years we do nothing to strengthen our draft hand. Trading up for Curtin is one of the only times we've ever traded further up into the first round.

And in addition that, when we bring in lots of draftees that we need to have succeed, we roll out the most putrid coaching team a club could assemble. And then hold back their development by playing them out of position or not backing them in.

In a weird way, the more they give for ANB, the easier it is for them to present it as a coup.

Imagine the deal is announced and it's 25 for ANB, to the casual fan it sounds like he's a good player. Good deal.

Compare that to Adelaide giving pick 67 for ANB. Casual fan thinks, 'this guy must be shit'.

Don't put it past them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surely to goodness we aren't really doing that

I know we lay the boots in and are probably too negative on here at times but we couldn't possibly be that incompetent

We're not giving up 25 for ANB, with Dodson projected to go around that mark.
You have more confidence in me that Dodson will be there still at our pick 25 as clearly the best ruck in the class of 2024 and the U18's 2024 AA ruck.

Dodson's clearly better performed than 2 of the 3 ruckmen that went in the 1st round in 2023 and IMO and not too far off last year's AA ruck Ethan Read who was matched at Pick 9 and certainly a better prospect than Will Green pick 16 and Taylor Goad pick 20.

Also worth noting Dodson and Logan Smith (GWS Academy) are really the only 2 rucks being seriously spoken about by draft pundits. Wherever the bid comes for Logan Smith it will be matched so he's basically off the table already and given how well he played in several of his 4 VFL games I doubt it will be a late bid.

You have more confidence in me that Dodson will be there still at our pick 25 as clearly the best ruck in the class of 2024 and the U18's 2024 AA ruck.

Dodson's clearly better performed than 2 of the 3 ruckmen that went in the 1st round in 2023 and IMO and not too far off last year's AA ruck Ethan Read who was matched at Pick 9 and certainly a better prospect than Will Green pick 16 and Taylor Goad pick 20.

Also worth noting Dodson and Logan Smith (GWS Academy) are really the only 2 rucks being seriously spoken about by draft pundits. Wherever the bid comes for Logan Smith it will be matched so he's basically off the table already and given how well he played in several of his 4 VFL games I doubt it will be a late bid.
Great, trade up from 25

But certainly don't give it away

Here is the full list of players we've recruited from other clubs in the past 20 years, who were best 22 at their club and under the age of 27

Izak Rankine
Jordan Dawson
Eddie Betts
Scott Thompson

Our recruiting record is abysmal. We pick up the occasional fringe player scraps (Seedsman, Lynch, Hinge, Symes, Jacobs) but when it actually comes to recruiting best 22 players from other clubs our record is appalling
I mean two of those were very recent. Aren't we talking about our recent recruiting?

Great, trade up from 25

But certainly don't give it away
What are you suggesting we use to trade up?

Pick 42 won't excite too many clubs into downgrading their 1st round picks?

2025 1st round pick in play?

In a weird way, the more they give for ANB, the easier it is for them to present it as a coup.

Imagine the deal is announced and it's 25 for ANB, to the casual fan it sounds like he's a good player. Good deal.

Compare that to Adelaide giving pick 67 for ANB. Casual fan thinks, 'this guy must be shit'.

Don't put it past them.
Why stop at 25?

Frankly, we should be doing everything possible to strengthen our draft hand this year, not giving up picks for middling senior players. Sadly, given our re-signings/extensions so far this off season, it doesn't look like that's a focus. Many would disagree with me here, and this is nothing against the player, but I'd be looking at leveraging Rachele plus future picks for a pick inside the top 5. Two picks inside the top 5 is exactly what we need in this draft. Add ANB and Cumming to that and it's a pretty good off season.

But we won't be that aggressive, despite the rhetoric.
I'm a huge, huge fan of Rachele, but this I would actually consider only because it seems he is the type of player we can't handle personality wise and because of that we'll never get the best out of him.

May as well have another dip and find a talented player who isn't as outgoing and won't be chopped off at the knees by the conservative streak that runs through the club.

I'm a huge, huge fan of Rachele, but this I would actually consider only because it seems he is the type of player we can't handle personality wise and because of that we'll never get the best out of him.

May as well have another dip and find a talented player who isn't as outgoing and won't be chopped off at the knees by the conservative streak that runs through the club.
I disagree. Rachele has shown massive upside and people are too quick to jump on his mistakes and forget his great moments. Even if he wasn't projecting well trading him would likely also lose us soligo and nank eventually.

Then we need to change, not ship out the talent we can’t handle.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation Part 2 (Rumours total 25, last 28th August)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back