Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumor summary September 30
  • Cal Twomey confirms we are interested in James Peatling (link)
  • FiveAA claims we are after Scott Borlace, current Head of Development at Brisbane (link)
  • Claims of Rory Sloane heading to Melbourne Demons as a development coach, but maybe not before asking for a job at the Crows first?
  • Inside Trading suggests we are interested in Gold Coast's pick 12 (link)
  • Inside Trading also suggests Clayton Oliver is possibly back on the trade table, but doesn't link him to any specific clubs

Rumor summary October 1
  • We have offered Darcy Fogarty a five year contract extension early ahead of free agency (link)
  • We are attempting to lure Graham Wright to our football department (link)
  • Tom Morris claims the race for Peatling is down to GWS, Adelaide or a Victorian club (link)

Rumor summary October 2
  • Ricciuto claims we will announce a director of coaching this week (link)

Last edited:
I’d have Buckley in a heart beat. You can hear in his analysis on commentary, he’s learned a lot since his coaching days. Leppitsch is an a’hole and I wouldn’t want him within 50 feet of our club.

Being a game analyst Is doesn’t always transfer into being a premiership senior coach.

The simple truth is are Bucks did underperform with his list and divided his dressing room.

McRae comes in with minimal changes to the list and the core 22 and takes them from outside the 8 to premiership, this does reflect poorly on Buckley.

Love listening to him, but not sold on him as a Head coach

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

But from all reports he has a damn good footy brain.

After getting sacked by Brisbane - went to Richmond as an assistant and was a part of their 3 flags in 4 years. Then he joined Collingwood at the end of 2021 and won a flag with them in 2023.

Bulldogs tried to poach him at the end of 2023 as well.

Obviously very well thought of in footy circles.

Leppa is a dick…… and arrogant

Don’t think we will see him in another senior role - he’s found his level as a senior assistant

But from all reports he has a damn good footy brain.

After getting sacked by Brisbane - went to Richmond as an assistant and was a part of their 3 flags in 4 years. Then he joined Collingwood at the end of 2021 and won a flag with them in 2023.

Bulldogs tried to poach him at the end of 2023 as well.

Obviously very well thought of in footy circles.
Was an arseh*le at Brisbane because at the time the club was a basket case and full of losers. Since he left they’ve had a full clean out and look at them now.

Maybe Leppitsch was right?

Being a game analyst Is doesn’t always transfer into being a premiership senior coach.

The simple truth is are Bucks did underperform with his list and divided his dressing room.

McRae comes in with minimal changes to the list and the core 22 and takes them from outside the 8 to premiership, this does reflect poorly on Buckley.

Love listening to him, but not sold on him as a Head coach

He was 1 kick from winning a flag.

I’m fine for us not to draft Oliver, but not for him to go to the bloody Cats.

They’re not even trying to hide they have no salary cap.
I dunno, I look at the Geelong list and it doesn't scream out with lots of high paid players.
Cameron
Danger
Stengle
Stewart
Holmes maybe with his recent 4 year deal...

That's about it.

Compare that to a team like the dogs
Bont, libba, Treloar, english, Naughton, jamara, Daniel, MacRae....would all be on similar or more than these Geelong guys and the rest of the feel squad.

I’d have Buckley in a heart beat. You can hear in his analysis on commentary, he’s learned a lot since his coaching days. Leppitsch is an a’hole and I wouldn’t want him within 50 feet of our club.
You'd of hoped he'd matured a bit more now, but some of those stories that came out from when he was coach would make you surprised they didn't have another player exodus from the club.

Isn't there talk he's going to become the head of footy at the Pies now?

Don’t know ?

Head of Footy role is not a senior coach role

Senior coach role your more hands on with the players

He’s obviously got traits for specific roles but there are also reasons why he’s never been courted for another Head Coach role

He probably got the head coach role before he was actually ready

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Roo mentioned on radio this morning that a coaching director announcement will be made in a couple of days
Blows my mind that we are actually creating a coaching director appointment for a coaching team that includes a 5 year senior coach, long term experienced senior assistant and another experienced coach.

Surely this is an acknowledgment that the coaching team we have isn’t good enough? How about replace them?

Whats this guy going to do? Teach them how to coach?

Did you watch us play at all?
Yes. It seemed like we had a very similar plan to the previous year, but it was being badly implemented. The midfield mix was wrong and we seemed slow around the footy, and there were some bad decisions being made by the first choice mids.

I think people mistake a game plan issue with a personnel issue. Nicks gave too much time to the wrong mids to begin with.

Blows my mind that we are actually creating a coaching director appointment for a coaching team that includes a 5 year senior coach, long term experienced senior assistant and another experienced coach.

Surely this is an acknowledgment that the coaching team we have isn’t good enough? How about replace them?

Congratulations, Scott Burns.
We scoured the globe for the best candidate, and he was right under our nose the whole time.
Im sure you'll all join me in congratulating Scott.

He was 1 kick from winning a flag.

But the history books say that he didn’t win the flag , and he had his fair share of poor seasons as well

He took over a pretty good list who finished 1st in 2011 and then they continued a drop for next 6 years including 4 years not making the finals

I think people seriously over rate him as a
Coach because he’s good to listen to as a commentator

It's the appointment you make when you realise you've got a shit coach, will sack him in the middle of next year and probably have to bring in another rookie.

They'll be proactive that way you see.... or at least that's what they'll say.

Roo making mention of the appointment in the coming days
They also mentuined Dew linked to Port and he was saying that would be a great get etc..

Maybe some smoke and mirrors if we are actually where he is going?

I don't know why we haven't sounded out Mark Stone the guy is a great footy brain, much better option than Burns

Yes. It seemed like we had a very similar plan to the previous year, but it was being badly implemented. The midfield mix was wrong and we seemed slow around the footy, and there were some bad decisions being made by the first choice mids.

I think people mistake a game plan issue with a personnel issue. Nicks gave too much time to the wrong mids to begin with.
That was one problem Nicks was so slow to change but it was only one **** up. Do your self a favour and go watch the Gold Coast game again. Watch how we moved the ball for the first 3 quarters and then compare it to the last quarter when we went for the win.

And I’ve got to say how stubborn are you? Multiple people have told you we changed our game plan, coach and even Dawson said unfocused on defence. Plus you clearly think I’m a liar, care to provide examples of where I’ve lied before?

It's the appointment you make when you realise you've got a shit coach, will sack him in the middle of next year and probably have to bring in another rookie.

They'll be proactive that way you see.... or at least that's what they'll say.
Tbf that's probably not a bad strategy. You know your current coach is on his last legs, the next coach may be a novice, set up the surrounding staff now.

Just on Leppitsch - its pretty interesting to look at the list he inherited - here are the age profiles for his 3 seasons at Brisbane.

2014 - 15th oldest Average age (23.4), 12th oldest for average games (56.6).
2015 - 17th oldest Average age (22.9), 15th oldest for average games (48.6)
2016 - 18th oldest Average age (22.6) 18th oldest for average games (41.6)

Now, don't get me wrong - the results were shocking and he deserved to be let go. This is the AFL and a winning percentage of 22% in a results based business is not gonna get it done.

But I am sure some of the posters who say Leppitsch is a shit coach are the same ones saying that we need to give Nicks more time because he has such a young list.

Flind Freddy could see we changed the game plan even Rowe could.
It's okay, people can believe what they want.

I'm not too fussed that the thought police disagree with me. People here waste a lot of energy getting upset that someone holds a different view.

Personally, I think our game plan changed far less than did the personnel in place to implement it.

I think for the most part our high pressure, turnover focused, quick and deep entry game was being attempted, but the older mids were cautious and taking conservative options and just weren't doing shit well.

The difference between playing well and badly is rarely a change in a plan - sometimes, playing badly is because you're just playing badly.

But hey, what do I know. It's not like Nicks told me personally, I have no idea what his intentions were.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back