Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumor summary September 30
  • Cal Twomey confirms we are interested in James Peatling (link)
  • FiveAA claims we are after Scott Borlace, current Head of Development at Brisbane (link)
  • Claims of Rory Sloane heading to Melbourne Demons as a development coach, but maybe not before asking for a job at the Crows first?
  • Inside Trading suggests we are interested in Gold Coast's pick 12 (link)
  • Inside Trading also suggests Clayton Oliver is possibly back on the trade table, but doesn't link him to any specific clubs

Rumor summary October 1
  • We have offered Darcy Fogarty a five year contract extension early ahead of free agency (link)
  • We are attempting to lure Graham Wright to our football department (link)
  • Tom Morris claims the race for Peatling is down to GWS, Adelaide or a Victorian club (link)

Rumor summary October 2
  • Ricciuto claims we will announce a director of coaching this week (link)
  • GWS have upped their offer for Peatling to four years (link)
  • Twomey claims the Peatling decision is down to Adelaide, GWS and Western Bulldogs (link)
  • Graham Wright, who we are chasing as a head of football, is also being chased by Carlton for a CEO position (link)
  • Kymbo says the Peatling decision is down to Adelaide or GWS (link)
  • Poster claims Peatling has decided to stay in Sydney (link)
  • Poster claims our offer for Peatling is the best in terms of dollars by far (link)
  • We've landed Murray Davis from the Brisbane Lions as coaching director (link)

Rumor summary October 3

• Free agency lodgements for Cumming to Adelaide and Himmelberg to Gold Coast will go through tomorrow (link)
  • James Peatling has chosen Adelaide (link)

Last edited:
Did you hear Bricks response when asked about the future of B.Smith, he said he should play on as he offers something no one else can... an elite leg.
He also said he caught up with Brodie for coffee & he was excited about his year ahead at the club.
Who the heck is bricks?
Surely there is nobody so blind to realise he's 100000% wrong.

Brodie is no longer in our side as time has gone past him.

He should have retired. This would have been his greatest use to our 25 season.

At which point Houston simply calls their bluff and says "us". It's Port pushing him out, not the other way around. They can't bluff and say "us" is an option, when they're the ones who are desperate for him the draft resources his departure would provide.
Surely they’d prefer to keep a 2x AA than not get adequate compensation

Oh I agree, Port have brought this on themselves .....and I expect them to have real problems with their list

My POV though is ....if PORT were to accept #13 from CARL .....that means:

1. Houston is swapped for the uncertainty of Pick 14 (father/son)

2. Using a F1 for Lukosius (2nd back) .....leaves them out of next years Draft 1st round

For a team in the supposed Window, point (1) is not a good outcome .....I can see Port missing the Finals

Nah they will be fine if (its a big if) Luko becomes a reasnonble forward. They have locked up a good young forward duo for the next 5 plus years at least.

Houston is a huge loss but they didn't have Farrell in finals which made his loss worse.

This year Sweet showed he can hold down the ruck and Georgiadis showed he can be a reliable goal kicker.

They will also get Powell-Pepper back, he was a huge loss to their forward line.

I see no reason why they can't at least make another Prelim.

Nah they will be fine if (its a big if) Luko becomes a reasnonble forward. They have locked up a good young forward duo for the next 5 plus years at least.

Houston is a huge loss but they didn't have Farrell in finals which made his loss worse.

This year Sweet showed he can hold down the ruck and Georgiadis showed he can be a reliable goal kicker.

They will also get Powell-Pepper back, he was a huge loss to their forward line.

I see no reason why they can't at least make another Prelim.
I can think of a few.

Nah. It seems like the club thinks Nicks is awesome and that it's the stinky assistant coaches that need to perform better.

They've basically hired someone to improve and manage the assistants and have excluded any oversight or management of the head coach from that role.

Basically they love what Nicks is doing and want to make it easier for Nicks to do what Nicks does
Agree with all of this assuming Davis was our find for the “Godfather role” we offered to Graham Wright.

However, that narrative doesn’t seem to stack up with the rumours on our forum? Might be wrong here but wasn’t Jenny’s weekend rumours that we’d be announcing a new senior assistant from Brisbane this week? Reports of pursuing Wright came afterward. Based on this, they’re two separate roles.

FWIW I think only losing Bello is still an extremely underwhelming coaching shake-up, but it can be somewhat salvaged by a shrewd “godfather” appointment.

The most likely scenario is that Port get Luko, but don't get back into the 2024 1st round. Carlton get Houston, for the price they're willing to pay. GC get Luko off their books, but don't get as much as they're hoping for in return.

And AFL house sign off on it because it's big Vic making out like bandits.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

GC
in: Pick 11 + Carton F1
Out: Lukosius + pick 12 + pick 20

So GC swap out pick 12 for pick 11. Basically a break even.

And swap Luko and pick 20 this year for Carlton’s future first in a weaker draft, probably in the 10-16 range (I’d hate to think they could win a flag).

They’re basically giving Luko away for nothing here. I couldn’t see that happening.

Are you and Scorpus actually patting yourselves on the back ?

Gross 🤢
lol. Would you not agree that I and he to a lessor extent have been pillared about our response to the underwhelming changes to our football department?

I even had Waynus try to shove it in my face before. So if a little bit is given back well suck it up.

Surely they’d prefer to keep a 2x AA than not get adequate compensation
It's not a matter of "want", it's what they "need" to get the Luko deal done - and ideally (for them) getting back into the 1st round of the 2024 ND.

They're the ones forcing him out. This is not player-driven. They made their bed, by trading out of the 2024 ND last year, now they have to lie in it.

lol. Would you not agree that I and he to a lessor extent have been pillared about our response to the underwhelming changes to our football department?

I even had Waynus try to shove it in my face before. So if a little bit is given back well suck it up.
What do I need to suck up ?

We don’t even know if we’ve finished our off season appointments and you have no idea who our latest appointment even is to start with 😂

Just try and take some deep breaths and see how it plays out firstly then go your hardest

Maybe you can go get us some info on Davis and let us know what he’s like , be a better use of energy

It's not a matter of "want", it's what they "need" to get the Luko deal done - and ideally (for them) getting back into the 1st round of the 2024 ND.

They're the ones forcing him out. This is not player-driven. They made their bed, by trading out of the 2024 ND last year, now they have to lie in it.
If the fall back position is they get to keep one of their best players for 2 more years I’m sure they’ll be fine

Re Luko they’ll find a way regardless

But I still think Carlton ( or north ) will come to the party

So GC swap out pick 12 for pick 11. Basically a break even.

And swap Luko and pick 20 this year for Carlton’s future first in a weaker draft, probably in the 10-16 range (I’d hate to think they could win a flag).

They’re basically giving Luko away for nothing here. I couldn’t see that happening.
Remember though, GC want points for next year when they have a bunch of academy players. So a F1 would work for them.

But hey, it was just a spitball and better draft pick traders than me could no doubt come up with something more suitable, but its the idea Port are only dealing with Carlton in isolation or GC in isolation may be wide of the mark and they have form pulling in other clubs to get what they want

Port tend to get creative if they want something. Look at what GC have pick wise and then look at Carlton.

I could see an end scenario where Houston gets to Carlton and Lukosius to Port something like this

Port
in: Lukosius + pick 12 + pick 20
Out: Houston + Port F1

Carlton
in: Houston + Port F1
Out pick 11 + Carlton F1

GC
in: Pick 11 + Carton F1
Out: Lukosius + pick 12 + pick 20

If Carlton win the flag GC have given up Lukosius for two tiny upgrades and if Carlton come 12th then GC basically gave up Lukosius for Pick 24. Can't see it

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back