Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumor summary September 30
  • Cal Twomey confirms we are interested in James Peatling (link)
  • FiveAA claims we are after Scott Borlace, current Head of Development at Brisbane (link)
  • Claims of Rory Sloane heading to Melbourne Demons as a development coach, but maybe not before asking for a job at the Crows first?
  • Inside Trading suggests we are interested in Gold Coast's pick 12 (link)
  • Inside Trading also suggests Clayton Oliver is possibly back on the trade table, but doesn't link him to any specific clubs

Rumor summary October 1
  • We have offered Darcy Fogarty a five year contract extension early ahead of free agency (link)
  • We are attempting to lure Graham Wright to our football department (link)
  • Tom Morris claims the race for Peatling is down to GWS, Adelaide or a Victorian club (link)

Last edited:

You wouldn’t bring in Draper on what he’s currently doing, but on what you project him doing going forward. Similar to Fog really, they are both FA’s next year so must have come in similar times, but the reality is, despite being a star junior, Fog is still averaging only 1.5 goals per game, However we all think his next 8 years could be at a very high level.

ROB has already hit his ceiling, but Draper is intriguing. Injury and/or attitude might well stop him achieving his potential, but that potential is undeniable.

I do know the club has been really keen on him for at least 2 years now, so am not surprised this has now been confirmed
I guess it comes down to what is being discussed RE: ruckmen and how important they are.

Does Draper get us closer to a flag ?? IMO no he doesnt, but you're also right in saying he could still very well have improvement in him.

Kelly is operational not strategic.

It makes a lot of sense to have someone very senior and experienced to run the whole football department.

Yeh, that's not true. Kelly sits on List Management Committee and Football Strategy Committee and his role is at the apex of the football department.

He kicked 11 goals and had 7 goal assists from 16 matches. ROB has kicked 14 goals and 27 goal assist in 121 games.

He had 21 contested marks from 16 games. ROB had 13 from 21 games.

He is 3 years younger than ROB.

If we managed a straight swap of Draper for ROB it would be a nice upgrade in 2025 or 2026.
It's hard to do a direct comparison of stats as we generally only play 1 fulltime ruck with short relief from a tall forward. Essendon this year mostly played 2 rucks alternating out of the forward line. But for me Draper would be a definite upgrade. But how confusing would it be to have 2 S. Draper's in the 1 midfield.

My bad. I saw the photo you posted that listed his stat line from the final (10 disposals).

Looking at it again you are using the AFL fantasy points score of 83 points to justify how you didnt think he had a good game. Thats bloody worse than watching the wrong game.
No I watched the game I looked at this just now. Which you still have not done. Admittedly I was not there and sometimes it does look different live but I'm telling you it is an OK game not worthy of 10 bloody votes.

No I watched the game I looked at this just now. Which you still have not done. Admittedly I was not there and sometimes it does look different live but I'm telling you it is an OK game not worthy of 10 bloody votes.
So you know more than the coaches and his impact on the game?

On SM-G996B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I love this time of year and the smoke and misdirection managers and clubs spread through the poor naive media hacks, who actually think they’re getting scoops. Every little scrap that gets reported has been carefully leaked to gain an advantage by someone.

This Clayton Oliver crap is a perfect example. There is no way clubs just decided to pursue him this week. This is 100% Melbourne wanting to move him to appease Petracca and get his huge salary off their books, and they deny it in the media at the same time so they hopefully don’t get bent over in any dealings. Port have done the same with Houston, and GC with Luko. All 3 clubs will end up getting these deals done, and the media boys will clap each other on the back and give each other awards for excellence.🤣

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree, but who's to say he would have developed as quickly as he has in our team over the saints.

Its a very weird hill to die on.

The premiership coach and a top 4 coach both say he is the best player on the ground.

He had 1 touch in the backline during the first quarter as the Lions took a 31-2 lead at QTR time. Then he moved to the middle in the 2nd quarter and had the most Clearances, most Centre Clearances, most tackles, 3rd most Inside 50's, 2nd most Contested possessions. All whilst going at 75% DE.

And old mate says he didnt have an impact because he only got 83 fantasy points.

I love this time of year and the smoke and misdirection managers and clubs spread through the poor naive media hacks, who actually think they’re getting scoops. Every little scrap that gets reported has been carefully leaked to gain an advantage by someone.

This Clayton Oliver crap is a perfect example. There is no way clubs just decided to pursue him this week. This is 100% Melbourne wanting to move him to appease Petracca and get his huge salary off their books, and they deny it in the media at the same time so they hopefully don’t get bent over in any dealings. Port have done the same with Houston, and GC with Luko. All 3 clubs will end up getting these deals done, and the media boys will clap each other on the back and give each other awards for excellence.🤣
Geelong would def have a go. They have good culture. Fixed up stengle. They will back themselves

Because he’s got skill and makes things happen when he has it. Clearly we all want him to get more of the ball because if he does we will have a very good player and therefore we are more patient, fancy being more patient with talented players instead of getting games into mediocre players.

So why isn’t he getting more of the ball?

It's hard to do a direct comparison of stats as we generally only play 1 fulltime ruck with short relief from a tall forward. Essendon this year mostly played 2 rucks alternating out of the forward line. But for me Draper would be a definite upgrade. But how confusing would it be to have 2 S. Draper's in the 1 midfield.
I'm not going to lose sleep over it because I don't really rate rucks.

But Draper doesn't feel like enough improvement over ROB to be worth the effort.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back